pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 11, 2014, 9:11 p.m.

'mil , a whole lot is happening in the last week of school if you are a graduating student .

Any student with Provincial Exams could be screwed

Strike=more days in the bike park for the kid and myself. ;)

FYP;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 11, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

So they'll be going out next Tuesday.

For every week they're on strike, the government saves $85 million. Long strike = balanced budget.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2014, 5:22 a.m.

)

Didn't this already happen 4 years ago?

I always found it funny when the students did their protest against this they are always to not to do it by the teachers and principals because it would screw up their schooling.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 12, 2014, 5:43 a.m.

So they'll be going out next Tuesday.

For every week they're on strike, the government saves $85 million. Long strike = balanced budget.

By allowing this to go to the point of a strike,theres not a chance in hell that i'll vote "liberal" in the next election.

….wonder what thats worth?

And monday the teachers are taking the day off for union meetings, so dont expect to send your kids in then…friday is the last day.

Pastor of Muppets

June 12, 2014, 7:41 a.m.

voting con or liberal is just a protest and not much different than voting for Roger the green guy … you live in NDP land now

June 12, 2014, 7:48 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Premier+Christy+Clark+involved+BCTF+strike+strategy/9500416/story.html

Premier Christy Clark and her senior staff were involved in a plan to provoke a full-scale strike by B.C.'s teachers in 2012, the provincial New Democrats charged Wednesday.

Court transcripts obtained by the NDP and read at the legislature show the government's chief negotiator in 2011-12, Paul Straszak, briefed the premier's deputy minister, John Dyble, on a strategy that included provoking a full strike by teachers in order to drum up public sympathy for possible back-to-work legislation.

"The transcript shows the government was deliberately trying to provoke a strike," NDP leader Adrian Dix told reporters.

Straszak admitted in court that he briefed Dyble on the proposal, which shows "the premier was directly involved in this," said Dix.

The sworn testimony from a top government official appears to contradict both Clark and Education Minister Peter Fassbender, who have repeatedly said the government was not trying to goad the union into a strike.

and

The transcripts were of a BCTF lawyer cross-examining Straszak in B.C. Supreme Court on Sept. 17, 2013.

"He was asked first: 'So your objective as government was to increase the pressure on teachers to have them go out on a full-scale strike'," NDP MLA Norm Macdonald said in question period.

"(Straszak's) answer: 'Yes, I'll say that's correct.'"

Straszak was CEO of the government's Public Sector Employers' Council at the time, but has since left government.

The government opinion, according to Straszak, was that a temporary job-action by teachers would not provide enough public support to legislate teachers back to work, said NDP education critic Rob Fleming.

"He said in court, under oath: 'Cabinet would be in an awkward situation in the context of a low-scale strike,'" said Fleming.

Such job action included teachers withdrawing certain extracurricular services in 2012.

Teachers did not appear to be escalating to full strike action, and so the government strategy outlined "tools" that could be used to pressure them, including docking pay and cancelling professional days, NDP critic Carole James told the legislature.

So are we still sticking to the fiction that "teachers fired the first volley"?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 12, 2014, 8:16 a.m.

That's a weird way to do familiesfirst. It's almost like she doesn't give a fuck about families and only cares about Enbridge.

June 12, 2014, 9:29 a.m.

I think education is vital and I think I pay too much in taxes.
I'm not trying to fan flames, I got an honest question.
If the province gives teachers what they want, where do you want the money to come from; a tax increase or a cut to some other gov't program

June 12, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

I think education is vital and I think I pay too much in taxes.
I'm not trying to fan flames, I got an honest question.
If the province gives teachers what they want, where do you want the money to come from; a tax increase or a cut to some other gov't program

How about all those resources we keep extracting? oh wait that's communism..

www.natooke.com

June 12, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

How about all those resources we keep extracting? oh wait that's communism..

I think they're already being spent.
But I did have a colleague say he'd be willing to OK the pipeline if the cash went into education.
Selling out, but for a good cause.

June 12, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

won't someone please think of the poor corporations and resource extraction companies that need low taxes and no royalties to make record profits for the shareholders?! I don't mind paying taxes, and I definitely don't mind paying taxes for services that are vital to our long term future, a shame corporations and shareholders don't share those same values, greedy fucks.

June 12, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

won't someone please think of the poor corporations and resource extraction companies that need low taxes and no royalties to make record profits for the shareholders?! I don't mind paying taxes, and I definitely don't mind paying taxes for services that are vital to our long term future, a shame corporations and shareholders don't share those same values, greedy fucks.

become a shareholder = profit!

:canada:

June 12, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

FYP;)

Or anyone who applied to any post-secondary institution that requires final graduating grades …

June 12, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

i think for the most part you expect corps to be greedy fucks, but what i don't expect is for the governement to be their shill.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 10:41 a.m.

become and a shareholder = profit!

yeah, will all my extra money I have just stuffed everywhere……