Buying a new replacement dishwasher

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

I am annoyed, I am annoyed at me and I am annoyed at the kitchen aid piece of shit in the kitchen.

Why am I annoyed, I wrongly assumed that the kitchen aid piece of shit's mini chopper could not deal a few cherry pips and one small skewer any way in my laziness I paid to have this fixed rather than doing it myself. I remember the dishwasher we had at my parents house had some kind of sump that collected this crap and you cleaned it out and it didn't break wtf was wrong with that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

A day doesn't go by with someone calling me a sissy.

Nov. 10, 2015, 9:15 p.m.

the proper loading of a dw is often the basis of marital discord

I'm pretty sure, if loaded properly, I could fit the entire universe into our dishwasher.

Nov. 10, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

Had mine over 12 years now. Flawless

i think this is the key. i'm of the belief that all new major appliances are shit. fragile, plastic, disposable piles of shit. our house came with a 40yr old maytag washing machine; built like a tank, all steel. we replaced it with a high efficiency $1000 machine (less than half the water, twice the wash time) - the logic board fried after a couple years (to the tune of ~$300).

the house also came with a 50's philco refrigerator - a funky curved thing with heavy steel automotive quality bodywork [HTML_REMOVED] burly chrome latch [HTML_REMOVED] hardware. again, probably terribly inefficient (and not self defrosting) but still running strong. amazing.

we replaced a 10yr old dishwasher (whirlpool, i think) that was running fine, but was noisy [HTML_REMOVED] inefficient, with a much quieter LG - doesn't clean as well, takes ~2x as long, and has been plagued with issues.

similarly, a family member had issues with a relatively new bosch dw that they had to replace (never really cleaned that well - but it sure was quiet!).

so yeah; my old man on the porch "they don't make em like the used to!" rant.

Nov. 11, 2015, 12:14 a.m.

i think this is the key. i'm of the belief that all new major appliances are shit. fragile, plastic, disposable piles of shit.

Couldn't agree more.

Nov. 11, 2015, 8:16 a.m.

We are replaced a Maytag that came with the house, at least 15 years old. Rack has rusted away and the showstopper was the electrical burning smell when it ran. Also, there is no business case to be made for a $1000 appliance that will run for 30 years. Cheaply-built throwaway shit is the wave of the future.

Nov. 11, 2015, 8:39 a.m.

As bad as the mechanical stuff is, the electrical aspect of appliances is less reliable. Disposable products are the order of the day.

Thread killer

Nov. 11, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

the house also came with a 50's philco refrigerator - a funky curved thing with heavy steel automotive quality bodywork [HTML_REMOVED] burly chrome latch [HTML_REMOVED] hardware. again, probably terribly inefficient (and not self defrosting) but still running strong. amazing.

Some of my folks friends had one of those - movies and tv shoes would film in their kitchen just because of the fridge. Talk to a location scout or two- that fridge could be worth dollars!

Nov. 11, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

i think this is the key. i'm of the belief that all new major appliances are shit. fragile, plastic, disposable piles of shit. our house came with a 40yr old maytag washing machine; built like a tank, all steel. we replaced it with a high efficiency $1000 machine (less than half the water, twice the wash time) - the logic board fried after a couple years (to the tune of ~$300).

we replaced a 10yr old dishwasher (whirlpool, i think) that was running fine, but was noisy [HTML_REMOVED] inefficient, with a much quieter LG - doesn't clean as well, takes ~2x as long, and has been plagued with issues.

similarly, a family member had issues with a relatively new bosch dw that they had to replace (never really cleaned that well - but it sure was quiet!).

That stuff still exists, it's just expensive.

You want a fridge/cooktop/kitchen that will last you 40 years, Wolf and Sub Zero make some nice things but you're going to pay through the nose. Better year, look at a Bertazzoni range - very pretty. You want a washing machine that will last you 30 years, get a Speed Queen.

It's out there, but it's easier to justify a unit at a $1000 that you will replace 5 times than to spend $5000 on a unit that will last you 25 years.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Nov. 11, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

Yup, news story:
Faulty appliances: What you need to know before you buy
CBC Marketplace investigates why some appliances don't last

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/faulty-appliances-what-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-1.2894272

CBC Marketplace episode here:
Faulty Appliances: Repairmen Unplugged
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2014-2015/appliances-repairmen-unplugged

Nov. 11, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but there could be a bit more to it.

I remember my grandad complaining 35 years ago that they don't make things like they used to, since he had an old 50's Kelvinator fridge that was still working in the garage and his much newer fridge died in less than 10 years. What he did not consider was all the other 50's Kelvinators that were in the landfill at the time (which was probably 99% of them since his is the only one I'd ever seen).

It's only the small percentage of appliances that make it to the 15, 20 or 30 year mark that new appliances get compared to. In 30 years, a very small percentage of the appliances that are around today will still be going, and everyone will be going on about how much better stuff was 30 years ago on account of those outliers.

You're not likely to see any working 50's fridges today, and you're probably not likely to see many from the 80's. In 2040 you probably won't see many from 2015.

That doesn't excuse the shit that breaks down in a year like my buddy's washing machine that died, got replaced and died again all in 2 years. Garbage. And although I do wonder how many washing machines died in short order back in the 50's and 60's, there's really no excuse for that today.

Nov. 11, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

But one things for certain, I need to be able to access my washing machine over the public internet.

Nov. 11, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

That stuff still exists, it's just expensive.

You want a fridge/cooktop/kitchen that will last you 40 years, Wolf and Sub Zero make some nice things but you're going to pay through the nose. Better year, look at a Bertazzoni range - very pretty. You want a washing machine that will last you 30 years, get a Speed Queen.

It's out there, but it's easier to justify a unit at a $1000 that you will replace 5 times than to spend $5000 on a unit that will last you 25 years.

^That stuff is pure sex.
At $400 for a two-slice toaster I don't even want to know how much Wolf goes for.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 11, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

^That stuff is pure sex.
At $400 for a two-slice toaster I don't even want to know how much Wolf goes for.

Does it actually slice your loaf and then toast it for that much?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 12, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

There is definitely some confirmation bias in thinking that things don't last as long as they used to. Worth remembering that 40 years ago, a dishwasher was a high end luxury and expensive.

It's also true that they don't make things like they used to. Especially for refrigerators, those things used to be toxic!