Buying a new replacement dishwasher

Dec. 21, 2015, 9:20 p.m.

Reheating coffee, bout all I use ours for.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 21, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

Heating up cinnamon buns - it's the best.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2015, 1:22 a.m.

You can't exactly buy dishwashers…but you can barter for them. Wine, flowers, jewelry, trinkets and such…

March 7, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

So, how loud is 50db in a dishwasher? Bottom of range/mid/top?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 7, 2016, 8:19 p.m.

So, how loud is 50db in a dishwasher? Bottom of range/mid/top?

Man, NSMB will be a ghosttown if Google ever picks up!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/compare-quietness-dishwashers-74531.html

March 7, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

IME the new DW's are pretty quiet compared to what was available 20-30 yrs ago which made a lot of noise [HTML_REMOVED] used alot of water

March 7, 2016, 8:28 p.m.

Sooooo … yet another shitty appliance sob story. Our near new microwave has bit the dust. Display started showing alternating magnetron and inverter errors. Cycled the power a few times, the errors went away but now when you use it it heats verrrrrry slowly and emits a pleasant burnt electrical stuffs aroma.

Four fookin years old that thing. It's still a current model on the market and a few review sites called it one of their top picks - 2.2 cubic foot, 1200 watt Panasonic Genius "Prestige". Yah, right … fookin POStige, I says.

I found some parts sites and it looks like I can get a magnetron for about $110 and an inverter board for $155. So, for $265 and the opportunity to fry my ass with the residual 4000 volts stored in the capacitors, I may be able to fix it.

Or I could buy a new one. Any suggestions for full-sized, countertop microwaves that actually live longer than 4 years would be appreciated. Needs to fit in a 24"W x 14"H shelf space.

No, no you should try to repair the Microwave, and get interrupted\Distracted with the microwave still plugged in. Then conveniently place your $400 plus Fluke 87 V meter across the still charged Capacitor like the distracted Electrician that you might be….
Poof Blue magical smoke from your meter.:|

Fix the microwave …. Micro switch on the door (50% of the times that's the problem not the power circuit, the micro switches on the door don't like disrupting running current, happens alot in busy lunchroom microwaves, people just open the door rather than pressing stop)

Then fix the meter, after horse trading with the Electronics guy in the Bio Med department. High end/Precision 1/2 watt resistors aren't a stocking part in most electronic stores…

But this didn't happen to me, just a guy I might know. :fix:

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 7, 2016, 9:12 p.m.

She's got it wrong. 3dB is doubling of power, but 10dB is doubling of loudness.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 7, 2016, 9:41 p.m.

How appropriate this topic is brought up again since tomorrow is International Women's Day. (I don't know why they installed a dishwasher in our lunch room at work. There's 2 women who work down the hall.)

Thread killer

March 8, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

Don't need no stinkin' Google! I come to NBR for the anecdotes.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 16, 2016, 11:56 p.m.

:D

May 18, 2018, 12:42 a.m.

Reliable appliances are still available, just not from the mainstream brands.

It seems the price points haven't followed inflation for some time. People still expect to get a new clothes washer for 500, a new coil stove for 400, a new fridge for less than 700, etc. even if labor and material costs have increased.

Now you shall not look at a clothes dryer for too long or you might cause a dent in the sheetmetal as it's so thin.

Then there's the avoidance of hazardous materials, making PCB welds generally less durable, the use of relays that last only a few thousand cycles before their terminals stick or are covered with soot, the water use restrictions for clothes washers, etc.

Overall, your best new appliance might be a refurbished old appliance. Seriously, the new Speed Queen washers are made just like the old Amana ones, the Huebsch dryers are like old Maytags...

Only refrigerators seem to be efficient enough to be worth it even with their shorter life span as the electricity cost is much lower.

As an appliance repair tech, some people pay me good money to fix their 25 years old Maytag or Inglis washer, as they know the new ones will take twice as long to clean half as well.

Not sure if there will ever be recognition for 'classic appliances' like there already is for cars and motorcycles. This would likely be a very niche market, but could still be worth it if enthusiasts are willing to pay for a good quality rebuild instead of a cheap fix.

May 18, 2018, 6:35 p.m.

For sure it is advisable to repair your mature appliance with skills mostly. Other than that going to purchase new required.

Thread killer

May 21, 2018, 9:37 p.m.

Posted by: RayParateur

Not sure if there will ever be recognition for 'classic appliances' like there already is for cars and motorcycles. This would likely be a very niche market, but could still be worth it if enthusiasts are willing to pay for a good quality rebuild instead of a cheap fix.

I was pissed when my mother sold the art deco toaster from the 40's in a garage sale.

May 22, 2018, 11 a.m.

I spent a few hours this weekend determining that a failed PTC relay on a three year old Danby mini-fridge was the reason that my long weekend beers were no longer cold.

The worst part was that I couldn't even have a cold beer while I worked!

Last edited by: PaulB on May 22, 2018, 11:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.