ebikes on the Shore

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:26 p.m.

Anyone industry folks have any insight on how ebike sales are going in BC? Would be kinda hilarious if they were under forecast and carrying rapidly depreciating inventory... probably the other way around unfortunately. Although they are still the vast minority of riders on the shore/Squamish it seems.

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Anyone industry folks have any insight on how ebike sales are going in BC? Would be kinda hilarious if they were under forecast and carrying rapidly depreciating inventory... probably the other way around unfortunately. Although they are still the vast minority of riders on the shore/Squamish it seems.

From what I gather, they have been selling tons or road/commuters. The Mtb's not so much

Oct. 25, 2019, 9:07 a.m.

I've seen shop guys enjoying them and flipping them pretty quick. Nobody wants to get stuck with an old ebike.

Oct. 25, 2019, 8:57 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I've seen shop guys enjoying them and flipping them pretty quick. Nobody wants to get stuck with an old ebike.

Isn't that the truth. Can you imagine the maintenance on one of those? And judging by how long my phone batteries have faired, they will need to be replaced every two years. 

I still can't figure out why they don't use coil shocks, downhill forks and internal transmission hubs or gearboxes etc.

Oct. 25, 2019, 9:48 p.m.

Next step will be regeneration from braking and suspension travel. Slap a big dyno on that fork instead of using hydraulics.

Oct. 25, 2019, 10:25 p.m.

Maybe they can even get one of those screens that tells them where the power is going like a prius

Oct. 26, 2019, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: craw

Isn't that the truth. Can you imagine the maintenance on one of those? And judging by how long my phone batteries have faired, they will need to be replaced every two years. 

I still can't figure out why they don't use coil shocks, downhill forks and internal transmission hubs or gearboxes etc.

When you are pushing 500w thru a drivetrain I'm sure you don't get longevity out of components.

Oct. 27, 2019, 12:36 p.m.

I have over 14,000km on 4 Devinci bikes now and I go through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire every 9OOkm or per month, that is all I have ever replaced except for a chain my wife broke on a new bike first ride by shifting in a Tricky spot over too many gears. I also have one bike with 5000km on same drive components and everything else, still running it and fine although I have a new chain and cassette ready for it , 200.00 retail which is cheap. I also have a battery with roughly 8000km on it and works as good as new, these easily will go over 20,000km with out loss, and then can be recycled. Sorry to disappoint. Lots of shop guys trade them each year as it is easy to ride them for cheap or free by selling and getting the new model much like they do with an Acoustic Bike. All I do for maintenance is clean the chain and pulleys more often, simple and easy and a daily task since I ride every day usually twice. Love the misinformation here by guys that don’t ride them, keep it up, to the informed you just look like haters on technology you would all benefit from, from racing to DH. Get off the forums and ride! 👍

Oct. 27, 2019, 10:15 p.m.

I have 4,000 km on my Ohm Sport over 2 years and the battery is fine. The chain was replaced this summer, but it's hub drive so chain wear is much the same as most bikes.

My friend with a mid-drive e-bike says he wears chains faster than usual.

Oct. 28, 2019, 8:46 a.m.

Yes, ebikes are for jerks and phonies. Should never be allowed near any trail where the real men ride. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaLfeQ-YO0 

Oct. 28, 2019, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: Aidan747

Yes, ebikes are for jerks and phonies. Should never be allowed near any trail where the real men ride. 

Word!

Oct. 28, 2019, 11:40 a.m.

Posted by: norona

I have over 14,000km on 4 Devinci bikes now and I go through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire every 9OOkm or per month, that is all I have ever replaced except for a chain my wife broke on a new bike first ride by shifting in a Tricky spot over too many gears. I also have one bike with 5000km on same drive components and everything else, still running it and fine although I have a new chain and cassette ready for it , 200.00 retail which is cheap. I also have a battery with roughly 8000km on it and works as good as new, these easily will go over 20,000km with out loss, and then can be recycled. Sorry to disappoint. Lots of shop guys trade them each year as it is easy to ride them for cheap or free by selling and getting the new model much like they do with an Acoustic Bike. All I do for maintenance is clean the chain and pulleys more often, simple and easy and a daily task since I ride every day usually twice. Love the misinformation here by guys that don’t ride them, keep it up, to the informed you just look like haters on technology you would all benefit from, from racing to DH. Get off the forums and ride! 👍

why do you need 4 of them? and where exactly is that place where you can recycle you batteries?

Oct. 28, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Less than ~5 % of lithium ion batteries are recycled...most end up in the landfill (https://cen.acs.org/materials/energy-storage/time-serious-recycling-lithium/97/i28). 

A lot of these e-something type vehicles are not as environmentally friendly as they seem: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.5240203/e-scooters-are-coming-to-canada-but-they-re-not-as-eco-friendly-as-you-might-think-study-1.5240209

Oct. 28, 2019, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: norona

why do you need 4 of them? and where exactly is that place where you can recycle you batteries?

Who cares we live in throw away society. Lithium batteries get chucked in landfill, been a well known fact for a while. Although the bike industry is a small drop in the bucket in comparison to the amount used in other consumer goods worldwide.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Oct. 28, 2019, 1:45 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 28, 2019, 12:47 p.m.

Ebikes make people grumpy.

Including ebike riders - don't ever jokingly call them a cheater when they pass you on a climb (you might get your head torn off)