ebikes on the Shore

Oct. 27, 2019, 12:36 p.m.

I have over 14,000km on 4 Devinci bikes now and I go through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire every 9OOkm or per month, that is all I have ever replaced except for a chain my wife broke on a new bike first ride by shifting in a Tricky spot over too many gears. I also have one bike with 5000km on same drive components and everything else, still running it and fine although I have a new chain and cassette ready for it , 200.00 retail which is cheap. I also have a battery with roughly 8000km on it and works as good as new, these easily will go over 20,000km with out loss, and then can be recycled. Sorry to disappoint. Lots of shop guys trade them each year as it is easy to ride them for cheap or free by selling and getting the new model much like they do with an Acoustic Bike. All I do for maintenance is clean the chain and pulleys more often, simple and easy and a daily task since I ride every day usually twice. Love the misinformation here by guys that don’t ride them, keep it up, to the informed you just look like haters on technology you would all benefit from, from racing to DH. Get off the forums and ride! 👍

Oct. 27, 2019, 10:15 p.m.

I have 4,000 km on my Ohm Sport over 2 years and the battery is fine. The chain was replaced this summer, but it's hub drive so chain wear is much the same as most bikes.

My friend with a mid-drive e-bike says he wears chains faster than usual.

Oct. 28, 2019, 8:46 a.m.

Yes, ebikes are for jerks and phonies. Should never be allowed near any trail where the real men ride. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaLfeQ-YO0 

Oct. 28, 2019, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: Aidan747

Yes, ebikes are for jerks and phonies. Should never be allowed near any trail where the real men ride. 

Word!

Oct. 28, 2019, 11:40 a.m.

Posted by: norona

I have over 14,000km on 4 Devinci bikes now and I go through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire every 9OOkm or per month, that is all I have ever replaced except for a chain my wife broke on a new bike first ride by shifting in a Tricky spot over too many gears. I also have one bike with 5000km on same drive components and everything else, still running it and fine although I have a new chain and cassette ready for it , 200.00 retail which is cheap. I also have a battery with roughly 8000km on it and works as good as new, these easily will go over 20,000km with out loss, and then can be recycled. Sorry to disappoint. Lots of shop guys trade them each year as it is easy to ride them for cheap or free by selling and getting the new model much like they do with an Acoustic Bike. All I do for maintenance is clean the chain and pulleys more often, simple and easy and a daily task since I ride every day usually twice. Love the misinformation here by guys that don’t ride them, keep it up, to the informed you just look like haters on technology you would all benefit from, from racing to DH. Get off the forums and ride! 👍

why do you need 4 of them? and where exactly is that place where you can recycle you batteries?

Oct. 28, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Less than ~5 % of lithium ion batteries are recycled...most end up in the landfill (https://cen.acs.org/materials/energy-storage/time-serious-recycling-lithium/97/i28). 

A lot of these e-something type vehicles are not as environmentally friendly as they seem: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.5240203/e-scooters-are-coming-to-canada-but-they-re-not-as-eco-friendly-as-you-might-think-study-1.5240209

Oct. 28, 2019, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

why do you need 4 of them? and where exactly is that place where you can recycle you batteries?

Who cares we live in throw away society. Lithium batteries get chucked in landfill, been a well known fact for a while. Although the bike industry is a small drop in the bucket in comparison to the amount used in other consumer goods worldwide.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Oct. 28, 2019, 1:45 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 28, 2019, 12:47 p.m.

Ebikes make people grumpy.

Including ebike riders - don't ever jokingly call them a cheater when they pass you on a climb (you might get your head torn off)

Oct. 30, 2019, 8:18 a.m.

I have had actually more e-mtb's. Perks of the job really, like I said for bike shop employee's who get  deals, it makes sense for them to switch every year, just like they do and have done with regular bikes. I usually run a bike to 2500km-3000km and then sell it. People think any bike or these bikes are over way before it is, which is why I have one with more kilometers on it. All of mine have gone to happy riders still enjoying the bikes. I ride once everyday and 2 times most days. I worked with Zero Motorcycles for a time and the tech allows batteries to be replaced/recycled. Of course it is not 100%. I am not pretending to be green but you guys touting that a regular bike IS over these is a stretch. All those tires, parts, chains, etc have never been recycled, for some reason you care now that it is an e-bike. With an e-bike the bike will be worn before the battery is done. Again I am not here to convince anyone to switch to an e-mtb, I am just here to say why I use one and that 80% of the stuff written about them are false, have no prove by guys who have not ridden one. Again riding one once or down the street, is not really riding one, you would not accept the riders from NSMB to do one ride on a totally new bike or tech and give you the full low down on that tech.

Oct. 30, 2019, 9:07 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Who cares we live in throw away society. Lithium batteries get chucked in landfill, been a well known fact for a while. Although the bike industry is a small drop in the bucket in comparison to the amount used in other consumer goods worldwide.

And this attitude is why our world is dying. Create a disposable product that is unnecessary. Market the hell out of it. Fly people all over the world to promote it. The people who use it say "it's a drop in the bucket, who cares?" 

And repeat.....

I would like to hear where these products are recycled too?

Oct. 30, 2019, 11:59 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

And this attitude is why our world is dying. Create a disposable product that is unnecessary. Market the hell out of it. Fly people all over the world to promote it. The people who use it say "it's a drop in the bucket, who cares?" 

And repeat.....

Funny how I’ve never heard anyone here worry about where all your old carbon parts go. When I googled lithium battery recycling a long list of recycling companies came up. The arguments are getting even weaker all the time.

Oct. 30, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

Motorized or not, mountain bikes are toys for rich people who's lifestyles are far beyond what the planet can support.  Any talk about how "green" any of the different options are vs. another is either totally disingenuous or hopelessly uninformed.

Oct. 30, 2019, 1:05 p.m.

The outdoor sport equipment industry is a huge polluter, lets not kid ourselves. All we can do is try to get longevity out of our equipment. The bike industry is one of the worst for jamming new gear down everyone's throats, ebikes or not. Hence all the product embassadors on social media flogging the latest and greatest, or sites like this with new gear posted everyday for us to see..... Just how it is, but maybe if some of us aren't into throwing batteries into the landfill because we don't need them on a bike that's a good thing?  

Posted by: FLATCH

And repeat.....

Funny how I’ve never heard anyone here worry about where all your old carbon parts go. When I googled lithium battery recycling a long list of recycling companies came up. The arguments are getting even weaker all the time.

The outdoor sport equipment industry is a huge polluter, lets not kid ourselves. All we can do is try to get longevity out of our equipment. The bike industry is one of the worst for jamming new gear down everyone's throats, ebikes or not. Hence all the product embassadors on social media flogging the latest and greatest, or sites like this with new gear posted everyday for us to see..... Just how it is, but maybe if some of us aren't into throwing batteries into the landfill because we don't need them on a bike that's a good thing?

Oct. 30, 2019, 1:49 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

And repeat.....

That is what I was thinking, when I posted about recycling batteries. We're going to ride bikes. They aren't great for the planet. But e-bikes are worse! 

Recycling of batteries is getting better, but only 2 to 5 % are actually recycled. Carbon fibre is bad too! But, there is ongoing research into recycling carbon fibre and bio-carbon fibre...bike components could be more environmentally friendly soon!

Oct. 30, 2019, 7:19 p.m.

Pretty much everything on a metal bike these days is recyclable, including batteries if you're on an ebike, so I think the idea of outdoor sports being a huge polluter is a bit disingenuous. It's not so much the tech that's bad but the potential human (mis)use of it. When it comes to bikes I know there are lot's of people on here with more than one bike, so I'm not sure why Norona is getting crap for having 4 ebikes or this insinuation that he's throwing his batteries in the trash when they wear out. I also think guys like Norona are outliers when it comes to ebike use and that the avg rider is not going to be out doing 900km a month in the dirt on an ebike. 

If our primary concern around ebikes is increased wear and tear on the trails then how about a program that directly targets that and puts money towards trail maintenance? With the amount of people riding these days I seriously think it's time to consider some method of funding trail maintenance anyway, not just for ebikes. Trail passes could work, but they're hard to enforce and the cost of enforcement could cost negate much of the money raised. I think that's where a special levy or tax  on consumables like tires, brake pads, chains, etc could work. You have a captive audience and they can't escape the fee. Then the people who ride more, no matter what or where they ride, and theoretically do more trail damage are directly paying to support their playtime.