Top 3 Nucks Captains

Dec. 14, 2010, 12:45 p.m.

Chris Oddleifson

Dec. 14, 2010, 12:49 p.m.

I thought Kesler would make a great captain until he opened his mouth and made an ass of himself during the olympics. It's tough to know what these guys are like in the locker room though and that's obviously much more important than they impression we get through their play and through the media.

Close friend of mine made a career in the NHL out of being a player that coaches and management wanted in the locker room and on the ice in practice. Constantly positive and motivating can go a long way. Doesn't hurt to win a whole bunch of fights.

Dec. 14, 2010, 1:58 p.m.

this thread has all the lulz.

i think the canucks and their fans have an identity crisis.

Smyl was an excellent captain, Linden was a stellar captain and gave a lot not only to the canuck organization but the league as well (i''ve always said I wish at some point in his career that he would have ended up in an Oiler jersey), and i agree with Cam that Kessler would have made a great captain before his Olympic nonsense, as far as I can see, so far Sedin is doing a good job. Naslund's problem, he was just to much of a good guy (but his wife is pretty damn hot). As for retiring Bure's number, i'm laughing so hard I think i'm going to crap myself…

We needed an Oil fan to speak the truth. Linden is beloved by fans for so much more than point totals as that is why his number was retired. Bure's will not be for the opposite reasons.

Dec. 14, 2010, 2:22 p.m.

Close friend of mine made a career in the NHL out of being a player that coaches and management wanted in the locker room and on the ice in practice. Constantly positive and motivating can go a long way. Doesn't hurt to win a whole bunch of fights.

This.

IMO, being a captain has nothing to do with chalking up points.

Dec. 14, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

We needed an Oil fan to speak the truth. Linden is beloved by fans for so much more than point totals as that is why his number was retired. Bure's will not be for the opposite reasons.

Canuck fans seem to have short recall or are in complete denial in regards to what a whiny prat, Bure was off the ice, (sure he got points, but do none of you remember him reportedly refusing to lace up for the '94 playoffs if the deal on his next contract wasn't completed before the playoffs started.) yeah that's the kind of guy you want to honor by raising his number to the rafters…

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Dec. 14, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

It's a common misconception that the "best" player should be the captain.

Captains don't have to be the best player or score the most goals; they have to captain the team. They have to lead by example.

Hence, why I firmly believe Kessler should be captain.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Dec. 14, 2010, 4:16 p.m.

poor canucks

4 legitimate superstars in the last 15 years

bure, sedins, luongo

and before you guys get all canucky on me, naslund and bertuzzi were flashes in the pan

Dec. 14, 2010, 4:34 p.m.

poor canucks

4 legitimate superstars in the last 15 years

bure, sedins, luongo

and before you guys get all canucky on me, naslund and bertuzzi were flashes in the pan

Mogilny should be in there, though it was only for a short time.

iforonewelcome.com

Dec. 14, 2010, 4:41 p.m.

Mogilny should be in there, though it was only for a short time.

true. forgot about him… he was pretty injured and nothing like he was in buffalo though

Dec. 14, 2010, 5:06 p.m.

true. forgot about him… he was pretty injured and nothing like he was in buffalo though

you should prob throw sundin in too