The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

Dec. 18, 2023, 11:22 a.m.

I was looking at the fourwheelcampers.com but decided against it in a tacoma

they start at 1000lbs ( lota weight for that truck ) for the stripped pop-up model 

and everything you add is mo weight and money

a ski bud had the stripped model had to put airbags in the rear but he likes it

Dec. 24, 2023, 9:41 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I was looking at the fourwheelcampers.com but decided against it in a tacoma

they start at 1000lbs ( lota weight for that truck ) for the stripped pop-up model 

and everything you add is mo weight and money

a ski bud had the stripped model had to put airbags in the rear but he likes it

Yep. If had the money would swap my cap for this one.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/326085660321897/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Af30a29e5-b4a1-48ea-b521-534a0e5bf814

Dec. 26, 2023, 8:53 a.m.

Good points made by people about weight. Taking that into account goal for 2024 will be to acquire one these or something similar.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/843825143998426/?mibextid=dXMIcH

They're pricey but lightweight and won't ruin my truck for work. Althought the smarter thing to do would probably be to just get a regular canopy with a roof rack and seperate rooftop tent and likely save about 5grand lol

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Dec. 26, 2023, 2:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 20, 2024, 9:50 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Good points made by people about weight. Taking that into account goal for 2024 will be to acquire one these or something similar.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/843825143998426/?mibextid=dXMIcH

They're pricey but lightweight and won't ruin my truck for work. Althought the smarter thing to do would probably be to just get a regular canopy with a roof rack and seperate rooftop tent and likely save about 5grand lol

One way t0 do that might be a regular canopy with a ladder rack fits around the truck cap. Seen them around and in future would do that myself.

Feb. 20, 2024, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We're aiming for something like this:

Smaller than a Sprinter or Transit, bigger than a Transit Connect, usable as daily vehicle, fits in our underground parking (I think). We don't really need the complete camper with full kitchen etc., just need a good bed, comfortable seats, and some storage.

Most likely it will be some lowish budget option inspired by the above.

I've been doing some research into the Metris. Looks like they are pretty expensive to run and maintain. Needs premium gas, must stay on top of recommended maintenance schedule, and if something does break it seems expensive to repair. This in addition to the whole Metris range being pulled out of the NA market by Mercedes. Altogether not ideal.

There is not much available in a similar size (ideally must fit in our underground parking). Interestingly the upcoming long wheelbase VW ID Buzz is the only thing that comes close. Even in standard config its backseats already fold down flat so it is immediately usable as a bare bones EV camper.

In Europe there are already some conversion kits available (for the short wheelbase version):

Feb. 26, 2024, 6:45 p.m.

We're aiming for something like this:

Smaller than a Sprinter or Transit, bigger than a Transit Connect, usable as daily vehicle, fits in our underground parking (I think). We don't really need the complete camper with full kitchen etc., just need a good bed, comfortable seats, and some storage.

Most likely it will be some lowish budget option inspired by the above.

I've been doing some research into the Metris. Looks like they are pretty expensive to run and maintain. Needs premium gas, must stay on top of recommended maintenance schedule, and if something does break it seems expensive to repair. This in addition to the whole Metris range being pulled out of the NA market by Mercedes. Altogether not ideal.

There is not much available in a similar size (ideally must fit in our underground parking). Interestingly the upcoming long wheelbase VW ID Buzz is the only thing that comes close. Even in standard config its backseats already fold down flat so it is immediately usable as a bare bones EV camper.

In Europe there are already some conversion kits available (for the short wheelbase version):

The guy in the picture is doing it all wrong. He should be relaxing while the wife cooks.

Feb. 26, 2024, 7:17 p.m.

Ever thought about a Toyota Sienna AWD van? Fits most of your requirements and you can even get lift kits for them to make them more off road capable.

https://www.journeysoffroad.com/toyota-sienna.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/overlanding/comments/1752012/our_lifted_sienna_saga/

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 26, 2024, 7:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 26, 2024, 8:48 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Ever thought about a Toyota Sienna AWD van? Fits most of your requirements and you can even get lift kits for them to make them more off road capable.

Yes, Sienna/Odyssea/GrandCaravan are on our radar. They are very popular in our area so probably easier to find a decent used one. A little bit more cramped than a Metris.

Lifted Sienna AWD looks cool, kind of reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s Mitsubishi Delica 4WD.

Feb. 27, 2024, 9:28 a.m.

Yes, Sienna/Odyssea/GrandCaravan are on our radar. They are very popular in our area so probably easier to find a decent used one. A little bit more cramped than a Metris.

Lifted Sienna AWD looks cool, kind of reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s Mitsubishi Delica 4WD.

Yeah, the Sienna seems like a decent option, reliable but a good parts/repair network should something go wrong. It looks like fuel mileage will suffer with a lift, but a lot of that seems to come down to tire choice. I think the right choice of tires will make a big difference there. 

If this was 10yrs ago an AWD Safari/Astro would be a good option, but it's getting harder to find clean examples and they are getting top $$$.

Feb. 27, 2024, 4:45 p.m.

My '07 Heep Patriot lasted less than 100,000 km with a 2" puck lift on the IFS.  CVT transmission bearing failed, not serviceable without a new transmission.  Don't do it.

That reddit thread backs me up, similar experiences in a few of the responses.

Feb. 27, 2024, 7:49 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Sounds like reliability took a real dive in that Reddit thread. 

I’d guess custom skid plates and some more aggressive tires on the smallest wheels that fit over Sienna brakes might be better. The pics of that sienna in action make it look like clearance probably wasn’t necessary for them anyway.

Feb. 27, 2024, 8:02 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

My '07 Heep Patriot lasted less than 100,000 km with a 2" puck lift on the IFS.  CVT transmission bearing failed, not serviceable without a new transmission.  Don't do it.

I've decided not to lift my Tacoma in the end. I don't have the balls yet to wheel over anything bigger than I already have. I also think those folks over at Toyota are good at putting these things together the right way from the get-go so I'm somewhat averse to any invasive disassembly for a while.

What I am planning to do though is add more armor. Steel rear bumber, rear skid plate, slider bars...

Feb. 27, 2024, 10:08 p.m.

Kinda interesting.

https://youtu.be/HMJsM--jmRA?si=1Uv3gSdusX-2Rt90

Feb. 28, 2024, 9:10 a.m.

I've decided not to lift my Tacoma in the end. I don't have the balls yet to wheel over anything bigger than I already have. I also think those folks over at Toyota are good at putting these things together the right way from the get-go so I'm somewhat averse to any invasive disassembly for a while.

What I am planning to do though is add more armor. Steel rear bumber, rear skid plate, slider bars...

But he looked so cool for  those 100,000 kms

My bartender at the craft brew asked me what do think of  a lift on my new Tacoma, she said it was gona be 5K so I asked  do you really need a lift or would you rather go to Mexico ?

She went to Mexico

Feb. 28, 2024, 9:26 a.m.

Just keep in mind that all that armor adds weight, and can compromise the stock suspension. You may end up needing firmer springs depending on how much weight you are adding.