The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

Sept. 11, 2023, 6:22 p.m.

Saw a thing…

Teach your kids the joys of off-roading and they’ll never have money for drugs.  

True, how true. 😁

Sept. 11, 2023, 7:46 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Saw a thing…

Teach your kids the joys of off-roading and they’ll never have money for drugs.

True, how true. 😁

I still do drugs though.

I'm just the kind of addict that can put off the fix long enough to work 60 hour weeks....

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Sept. 11, 2023, 7:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 11, 2023, 7:56 p.m.

Back on topic I've been seeing some ads for some bare shell one piece carbon fiber slide in camper attachments for pickup trucks.

Basically you buy the shell then it's up to you how you want to build the interior. I think they're around 4 grand give or take depending on bed size.

I would love that as an ongoing project. Start off with nothing but some plywood and some insulation and a window but over time going all the way to fancy wood paneling, plumbing, solar power...etc..

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Sept. 11, 2023, 7:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 28, 2023, 5:15 p.m.

Bump for a bit of more happy shit.

From August this year camping out while working for a mtb race series. 

Post ride chill in Canada's only Urban National Park. Same weekend

Dec. 16, 2023, 10:12 p.m.

Need more adventure and less news debates...

Found this while wandering YouTube this week. Knew a guy locally who had one about 9 years ago. While know one would be a pain in the ass to insure in Ontaristan from what I have heard. If it was easy to do and could would use one just for the local areas while leaving the bigger truck for actual long trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpCmDYCu0wc&t=34s

Dec. 17, 2023, 9:23 a.m.

Gucci-fied   

https://nomadvanz.com/custom-gallery/

https://nomadvanz.com/gallery/beautiful-custom-vanz/sunny/?portfolioCats=428%2C427%2C429%2C430

Dec. 17, 2023, 10:02 a.m.

We're aiming for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcBDeL3OajM

Smaller than a Sprinter or Transit, bigger than a Transit Connect, usable as daily vehicle, fits in our underground parking (I think). We don't really need the complete camper with full kitchen etc., just need a good bed, comfortable seats, and some storage.

Most likely it will be some lowish budget option inspired by the above.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Dec. 17, 2023, 10:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 17, 2023, 10:53 a.m.

Maybe you don't even need a roof rack...but we did a lot of b.c. road tripping in a small van back in the day, our issue was roof rack wouldn't fit under a lot of places. With a hatchback would have enough clearance. Guess depends how much crap you tend to bring. For us there was always a bike or two and kids, so lots of people and gear that had nowhere to fit inside.

Metris seems reasonably priced. Mercedes is easier to get a good interest rate vs other dealers I've dealt with too. Engine is an efficient 4 cyl, a hybrid option sure would be nice.

Dec. 17, 2023, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Maybe you don't even need a roof rack...but we did a lot of b.c. road tripping in a small van back in the day, our issue was roof rack wouldn't fit under a lot of places. With a hatchback would have enough clearance. Guess depends how much crap you tend to bring. For us there was always a bike or two and kids, so lots of people and gear that had nowhere to fit inside.

Metris seems reasonably priced. Mercedes is easier to get a good interest rate vs other dealers I've dealt with too. Engine is an efficient 4 cyl, a hybrid option sure would be nice.

We don't need a roof rack. Just the two of us, and my partner doesn't ride so it will be mostly non-bike trips. For the occasional bike trip, a hatch rack will have to do.

A quick google says Metris height is 78 inch which is just under 2 m, would have to check if that goes in our underground parking. Might not fit by one or two cm.

Unfortunately, the Metris hasn't caught on in North America and Mercedes is going to stop selling it here. Same for VW Transporter. Americans don't care about this size van which is very popular in Europe.

Dec. 17, 2023, 12:35 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We don't really need the complete camper with full kitchen etc.,

You'd reevaluate the kitchen the first time you see m brewing coffee and eggs in the ferry lineup without the stress of packing it all up before rolling on the boat. (just have to kill the propane).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSpgVc3hRp2/

< 50 left in Seattle, including one used one listed:

https://www.peacevans.com/blog/making-mercedes-metris-camper-vans

I'd watch out for import regulations to get the pop top modification through the Canadian border pain in the ass.

Last edited by: heckler on Dec. 17, 2023, 12:39 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 17, 2023, 1:06 p.m.

You'd reevaluate the kitchen the first time you see m brewing coffee and eggs in the ferry lineup without the stress of packing it all up before rolling on the boat. (just have to kill the propane).

We routinely prepared coffee/tea/snacks on the side of the road in the tiny campervan (based on Transit Connect) we rented in Iceland. It only had a small countertop with a separate camping stove stored underneath. It was sufficient for our needs. That trip was really useful for finding out how little we need from a campervan but that we do want a good comfortable bed & seats.

Dec. 17, 2023, 1:22 p.m.

< 50 left in Seattle, including one used one listed:

https://www.peacevans.com/blog/making-mercedes-metris-camper-vans

I'd watch out for import regulations to get the pop top modification through the Canadian border pain in the ass.

https://www.peacevans.com/for-sale

The used one is a full camper conversion for $110K USD, lol.

In terms of budget I think we are more in the "buy a used cargo van and let's start with a mattress in the back and go from there" demographic.

Dec. 17, 2023, 1:56 p.m.

I know a couple who have moved up from the USA with a sprinter they camperized themselves. The idea was to look for a place to move, so now they are done with the sprinter and would like to sell it except buddy tells me they can't register it up so he can sell it cuz he camperized it himself, so they are trying to sell it down there which is a bit of a hassle

I got a buddy who camperized a transit he said to be careful where you drill holes cuz those transits were passenger vehicals with airbags even tho the seats might have been pulled out all to get around the chicken tax so drilling a random hole in the back you might hit an airbag

Dec. 17, 2023, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Back on topic I've been seeing some ads for some bare shell one piece carbon fiber slide in camper attachments for pickup trucks.

Basically you buy the shell then it's up to you how you want to build the interior. I think they're around 4 grand give or take depending on bed size.

I would love that as an ongoing project. Start off with nothing but some plywood and some insulation and a window but over time going all the way to fancy wood paneling, plumbing, solar power...etc..

be aware of how much weight you are building onto a Tacoma which does not have a huge payload, in the past there have been a lot of PU's that were overloaded by the camper

i bought a leer canopy  and it was 500$ cheaper at a Raven dealer than at a Capit dealer for the exact same product so do your shopping

Last edited by: XXX_er on Dec. 17, 2023, 2:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 17, 2023, 11:19 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: Fast-Orange

be aware of how much weight you are building onto a Tacoma which does not have a huge payload, in the past there have been a lot of PU's that were overloaded by the camper

i bought a leer canopy  and it was 500$ cheaper at a Raven dealer than at a Capit dealer for the exact same product so do your shopping

XXXer is right weight is an issue. Alot of people who built the back bed to camp in alot have observed have gone with contractor type caps as the starting point and built from there. Anything beyond that they have to upgrade their suspension and leaf springs. 

Alot of people building their own camper shell to decrease weight build using as much 2x2 instead of 2x4 as they can for the frame to cut a bit of weight..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCinRvWLBQ&list=PLPjC-QZ5cUhmSRaYJ3eMXTLA375DhwbDc&index=64&t=189s