Landlord's dishwasher leaked through our ceiling, onto my computer.

Aug. 15, 2013, 7:53 p.m.

Our landlords live upstairs, and had a dishwasher issue. It leaked all over their floor, and some made it through the floor, (our ceiling) and dripped down our lift fixture onto our table. Probably more than dripped actually.

My Macbook Pro was on the table, and was soaked. We weren't home at the time, and it was plugged in. We don't have renters insurance.

I went to the Apple store and it'll cost $700ish to fix.

If I go to an "authorized reseller" or whatever, do you think it'll be cheaper?

I apparently need:

Logic Board 2.3ghz, QC, IVB: $502
Housing, Top Case: $174

It's the generation before the retina generation. The one where you can still change the memory and hard drive if you need.

Aug. 15, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

Shouldn't landlord (or his insurer) pay for it?

In a highrise condo, if the same thing were to happen, the unit where the leak starts is responsible for all damage caused by the leak as I remember it.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

Shouldn't landlord (or his insurer) pay for it?

Kn.

that would be my 1st thought. Landlord should pay.

Get renters insurance. Its worth it. Not for issues like this, but for when shit goes really sideways (eg. fire)

:canada: :czech:

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

i would def mention that to them and see what they say…

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

Seems like a pretty simple problem. Did you talk to the (negligent) owner of said dishwasher before you cried to the interwebz about it?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

Seems like a pretty simple problem. Did you talk to the (negligent) owner of said dishwasher before you cried to the interwebz about it?

And how is the Landlord negligent for having a leak??

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:40 p.m.

Please, take a seat. The adults are talking here.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:44 p.m.

In a highrise condo, if the same thing were to happen, the unit where the leak starts is responsible for all damage caused by the leak as I remember it

From recent experience with a slightly overloaded washing machine , I can confirm that is indeed how it works :swearing:. (I got off lucky, damage was basically just some drywall work around a ceiling fixture, and a new coat of paint, so I paid out of my pocket rather than make a claim).

I'd say the landlord's insurance, or his wallet, owe you the cost of the repair, or a new computer.

And how is the Landlord negligent for having a leak??

Again, in a condo, it's the tenant's responsibility to make sure equipment is well maintained. Sure, the machine may just fail and leak, but it's still your responsibility. Shite happens, as they say, and is the reason you should have insurance.

Not sure how that plays out in a landlord / basement suite situation.

Aug. 15, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

Get renters insurance. Its worth it. Not for issues like this, but for when shit goes really sideways (eg. fire)

Just don't use it, unless you REALLY need it. They will cancel your coverage after a claim or two.

Aug. 15, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

Please, take a seat. The adults are talking here.

Sorry, I forgot that the adult way to handle your problems is to bitch on the internet rather than talk to the party who is responsible for the damage and getting the problem fixed. Carry on Kn jr.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 15, 2013, 10:18 p.m.

The OP is asking where to get the computer repaired. NOT who should pay.

OP: sorry, I don't have any suggestions.

Aug. 15, 2013, 10:43 p.m.

Just go up stairs , and take the landlords computer… Problem solved

Aug. 15, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

Sorry, I forgot that the adult way to handle your problems is to bitch on the internet rather than talk to the party who is responsible for the damage and getting the problem fixed. Carry on Kn jr.

OP asks where to fix his computer.
Farmer proves he can't read.

classic.

Aug. 16, 2013, 6:38 a.m.

I took the girlfriends laptop here http://www.main57computer.com/ they were cheaper than the other places and did a great job. Pin broke off for the power supply and to replace it you had to solder on a new plug onto the the mother board. Quick turn around too. One thing that really stuck out was that he accidentally charged me 10 bucks more than the quote and I didn't notice, 20 min after I left he noticed and I get this frantic call saying he's really sorry and accidentally charged me 10 more than he should and if I could come back to get the 10 bucks!

Aug. 16, 2013, 6:40 a.m.

no fix no pay!!