Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Dec. 7, 2021, 9:38 a.m.

that last cartoon nails it.

Dec. 7, 2021, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: XXX_er

i think one should look 3 years down the road and ask themselves whom will have their shit together  at that point ?

Other than my local Ford whom has announced an E truck  I can't see anybody with a dealer structure to support a new EV truck all across Canada in 300 small towns ?

and there needs to be more charging infrastructure

I have no experience driving an electric car, but I wonder how many charging stations it really takes for a long trip? 

I mean Kamloops is about the furthest I drive when I'm home in Van. 400km (250 miles), takes 5-6 hours straight one shot. Pretty much any EV can make that. Just charge up on the 110v at your buddy's house at the destination? Give them some compensation for cranking up the electric bill a bit. Is it that simple?

well I think it takes > than over-night to charge a vehicle with a 110V, so you need a netwerk of fast chargers which means people will have to  wait however long a fast charger takes on long trips

You can get to Terrace or Prince Rupert with an EV but I don't think you can go  north

Dec. 7, 2021, 10:43 a.m.

Holy shit some people's road trips are more epic than others. Yukon ho!

Ah, you're right I see the more econo EV's don't have that kind of range. I see some hit 400 mi (650km) though, wow. That's further than my current combustion engine car can go.  

Looks like average EV range is currently over 250 mi (400km), not bad. https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2021/01/08/new-us-electric-vehicles-now-have-250-mile-median-driving-range/amp/

Dec. 7, 2021, 12:03 p.m.

Anyone reserved their Lightyear One yet? Only €150K downpayment ;-)

Lightyear One is a long range solar electric vehicle designed to be grid independent and to drive anywhere. Its unique vehicle architecture and technology have been developed with high efficiency in mind, allowing Lightyear One to consume only 83 Wh/km — two to three times less energy than any other electric vehicle on the market today. This results in an exceptional range of 725 km (WLTP) with the lowest emissions, the lowest charging frequency, and 7,000 to 20,000 kilometres of free, effortless, and clean solar range every year.

Dec. 7, 2021, 12:19 p.m.

Ah, you're right I see the more econo EV's don't have that kind of range. I see some hit 400 mi (650km) though, wow. That's further than my current combustion engine car can go.  

Looks like average EV range is currently over 250 mi (400km), not bad. https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2021/01/08/new-us-electric-vehicles-now-have-250-mile-median-driving-range/amp/

90 % of Canadians live within 100miles of the 49th parallel but then you got that other 10%  so if you are going to eliminate burning fossil fuels there needs to be more recharging stations

Dec. 7, 2021, 2:42 p.m.

90 % of Canadians live within 100miles of the 49th parallel but then you got that other 10%  so if you are going to eliminate burning fossil fuels there needs to be more recharging stations

Nothing between here and whitehorse...you could put one at bell2 or dease, but it would be diesel powered...lol

Dec. 7, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Nothing between here and whitehorse...you could put one at bell2 or dease, but it would be diesel powered...lol

https://www.tocwa.org.au/2018/12/11/ev-charging-with-diesel-powered-chargepod-skid-a-solution-for-locations-with-inadequate-power/

Diesel powered charge point turns out to be....still more efficient than most diesel powered cars. Someone want to do the math vs the average Canadian gas car/SUV that might make the trip?

Dec. 7, 2021, 4:07 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Posted by: three-sheets

https://www.tocwa.org.au/2018/12/11/ev-charging-with-diesel-powered-chargepod-skid-a-solution-for-locations-with-inadequate-power/

Diesel powered charge point turns out to be....still more efficient than most diesel powered cars. Someone want to do the math vs the average Canadian gas car/SUV that might make the trip?

That is mildly impressive, but theyre only getting 2-2.5 hour drive time on flat summertime highway.....getting closer .

Dec. 11, 2021, 9:08 a.m.

https://insideevs.com/news/553706/electric-cars-cheaper-gas-fuel/?fbclid=IwAR0gAk4GE-Bta_wUO6CN3SklGxUziJ4DNfvvcYZF2w6Gy9t9gdEhCaZJrAw

Dec. 13, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

Elon Musk, the wealthiest human being in history, is Time's Person of the Year, and on Monday progressives reacted by mocking the magazine's selection and renewing calls for changing the U.S. tax code so that the Tesla co-founder and other plutocrats like him pay their fair share.

"Innovative of them to choose the worst person on the planet for this!" American Postal Workers' Union National senior digital strategist Jack Califano tweeted in response to the news.

In their Person of the Year profile, Time's editors swoon that Musk is a "man-god" who "dreams of Mars as he bestrides Earth, square-jawed and indomitable."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/12/13/time-selects-tax-dodging-anti-union-mega-billionaire-elon-musk-person-year

lol...

Well, they did once name Hitler man of the year, so there's that.

Dec. 13, 2021, 12:11 p.m.

Every place in the world with an electrical connection is a charging station.

You do realize that you can charge from any wall outlet ... right?

Dec. 13, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Yeah in 10-12 hrs for cars with larger batteries requiring a full charge.

Dec. 13, 2021, 1 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

That isnt close to the numbers I have seen provided. A 100kWh battery would take up to 4 days to charge on a level 1 (120V) plug (assuming you are going from empty to full). You are basically getting 2-4 miles of range per hour of charging.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Dec. 13, 2021, 1:14 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 13, 2021, 2:02 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

That isnt close to the numbers I have seen provided. A 100kWh battery would take up to 4 days to charge on a level 1 (120V) plug (assuming you are going from empty to full). You are basically getting 2-4 miles of range per hour of charging.

what stops you from installing a proper home charger?

Dec. 13, 2021, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: shoreboy

what stops you from installing a proper home charger?

I would expect the price would be a barrier to some? Im not sure of the exact costs, but Ive heard the number of $2000 being used as an average sort of price.

If I owned an EV, I would be installing a level 2 charger no doubt and would consider it part of the cost of entry. Using the argument that 'you can charge from any wall outlet' while true, is not feasible for most people if they daily drive their vehicle.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Dec. 13, 2021, 2:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.