Reliable dropper posts

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:52 a.m.

Is it really or is this what we have come to expect and just accept it? I take my car into get fixed I don't wait 2 weeks. Your furnace needs a new part you don't wait 2 weeks. I realize that its a numbers thing, but really I think it's a load of crap! It's just always been this way. It's pretty easy figure out, If the summer is your busiest period, hire more people for the summer. Works that way for restaurants and gardening companies why should the bike industry be any different?

we are talking about rockshox products here. return numbers are high at all times :o:o:o

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:13 a.m.

You can put the collar on it to minimise the amount of drop the post will have, or did you mean make the fully extended length shorter?

to make the extended length shorter.

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

^My OG reverb was the shipping cost back to Norco to get fixed. Been going a year plus now

This is crap! I've been waiting since the beginning of May on the same damned thing. Norco service on reverbs is a an utter joke. Not having my post for the entire riding season completely negates any service they may even perform. By the time I see it again, there will be a new cheaper lighter voice-activated dropper post that I can buy for $100. I'm starting to wonder if they just lost the thing.

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

With a seatpost you can use some $20 replacement and still ride. I had to wait 4 months to get a dual crown fork fixed through Norco. :mad:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:30 a.m.

I found this info on the reverb when I was looking

Min Exposed Post Length at Full Extension for 420mm Model: 165mm
Max Exposed Post Length at Full Extension for 420mm Model: 340mm
Min Exposed Post Length at Full Extension for 355mm Model: 165mm
Max Exposed Post Length at Full Extension for 350mm Model: 275mm

but I guess that doesn't help out much now.

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:34 a.m.

Doesn't help if you don't have 6" from the seat collar to your saddle. Maybe platform SPD shoes will become a thing now ;)

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2687256]I'm starting to wonder if they just lost the thing.

not inconceivable. have you/your shop been following up regularly? squeaky wheel and all that

i once sent something in to [HTML_REMOVED]coughcough[HTML_REMOVED] for warranty replacement, and after 6 weeks of nagging they finally replaced it with… the very item i sent in. guess they put mine back on the shelf and pulled it down again when they finally got around to honoring the ra. took another 3 weeks to get them to admit to it, and another few days to confirm they didn't have any more in stock

ah summer fun

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 2, 2012, 11:11 a.m.

I'm actually quite amazed that Gravity Dropper will rebuild your post and cover return shipping for only $30. Guess that's how simple the system is, and they're nice guys too.

flickr

Oct. 2, 2012, 11:49 a.m.

Wouldn't be too hard to make some plastic spacers to throw in there to limit the travel. Very easy to take apart and rebuild as long as you have some mechanical aptitude.

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

My experence: Myself and a couple dozen friends have Reverbs, I think only one has been sent back with Issues, otherwise just some standard maintenance and everyone is happy with them. One friend had a KS seat post, got tired of how finnicky it was and went with a Reverb.

Oct. 2, 2012, 1:13 p.m.

Doesnt help if you're buying used.

Wouldn't be too hard to make some plastic spacers to throw in there to limit the travel. Very easy to take apart and rebuild as long as you have some mechanical aptitude.

this is what I was thinking, thanks.

Oct. 2, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

With a seatpost you can use some $20 replacement and still ride. I had to wait 4 months to get a dual crown fork fixed through Norco. :mad:

Hah, Norco's service isn't very good. I was without my Boxxer WC (previous gen) for a whole summer due to a warranty issue… was riding Whistler and everything with a 5" SPV Sherman on my big bike. Good point about how cheap a backup seatpost is.

22 Pride

Oct. 2, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

Ya know what? I appreciate having the infinite positions of my x-fusion hilo but as an experiment on my most recent ride I just alternated between fully up and 3" down (my hilo is infinite within 0-4") and I think I would be really happy with a simple gravity dropper 3" drop seatpost. For aggressive xc type stuff anyway.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 2, 2012, 3:09 p.m.

Hah, Norco's service isn't very good. I was without my Boxxer WC (previous gen) for a whole summer due to a warranty issue… was riding Whistler and everything with a 5" SPV Sherman on my big bike. Good point about how cheap a backup seatpost is.

Are you sure that the problem was with Norco, and not RS having parts shortages? Either way, I get really annoyed when there is an issue like that, and there is no communication. Lack of communication is inexcusable.

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Are you sure that the problem was with Norco, and not RS having parts shortages? Either way, I get really annoyed when there is an issue like that, and there is no communication. Lack of communication is inexcusable.

Good point, that is possible. Although when I went to Crankworx that summer, the Rockshox tent had parts on hand and would have sorted me out for free if I had brought my fork there. There was no communication as far as I recall, apart from the shop calling them up and getting the "soon" reply.

As far as dropper posts, does anyone here have ride time on a KS Lev yet? I'm particularly curious about the 27.2mm model, if any distributors have that size; it may not have been released by KS.

22 Pride