Reliable dropper posts

March 8, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

Have the Specialized as well, I'm a big fan of the 3 post positions. I like knowing where my seat position is going to be, more reliable ride compared to the infinite positions.

Agree, in that i too like the 3 post position on the command post - however, specialized seat posts are poorly designed in the seat clamp attachment.

That side clamping ratchet design fails too often for my liking. Much prefer a dual bottom bolt attachment. So that makes an otherwise great post option a nonstarter for me….

March 8, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

i had a giant post but it failed twice in 6 months so I moved on.
got a gravity dropper, it's not the most attractive post in the world, but it gets the job done and it's easy to maintain…. At the end of the day that's all I care about

March 8, 2014, 10:20 a.m.

I've read of a few issues with Thomson posts, although I've had no firsthand experience. I have a KS and really like it, although it shit the bed during the first week of ownership and had to get warrantied. Based on the parking lot test and looks I give the nod to Thomson, but the cable loop is a real downer.

I have owned a KS dropper and a Thomson and while I had nothing but issues with my KS and so far the Thomson has been stellar…not one issue.

On paper the cable loop looks like a pita, but in reality I have never had an issue with it. For those that do have an issue with it Thomson will have an internal version out soon.

March 8, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

On paper the cable loop looks like a pita, but in reality I have never had an issue with it. For those that do have an issue with it Thomson will have an internal version out soon.

All posts I have had with cable loop have either scraped away at the frame, rubbed on my leg, or interferred with the linkage. Again, the internal version is only the answer if you have a bike that is designed for an integrated dropper post.
As I stated before, Thomson came in late to the game and could have designed something with a collar mounted actuation and been the hands down winner. They missed the boat in my opinion.

March 9, 2014, 2:44 p.m.

All posts I have had with cable loop have either scraped away at the frame, rubbed on my leg, or interferred with the linkage. Again, the internal version is only the answer if you have a bike that is designed for an integrated dropper post.
As I stated before, Thomson came in late to the game and could have designed something with a collar mounted actuation and been the hands down winner. They missed the boat in my opinion.

I have not had any interference or leg rubbing issues with my cable loop on my Banshee Prime and I use protective tape to keep it from scratching my paint, same as I do for the other cables that are even a bigger loop off my my bars that rub the head tube when I turn.

As you may know I had nothing but issues with my KS post and when I asked if they changed the internals at all in the LEV they said no….so no sale for me. Maybe mine was just made on a Friday, maybe I was just too fat for it…who knows. All I know is that after sending it for warranty the third or fourth time and it came back still broken…I sold it ASAP and got on my Thomson and have not had an issue since.

Everyone is going to have their own experience so we all come at it with different eyes, that's why so many different companies make products. All I can do is try to share my experiences with a product in a factual and honest way, if your experience is different that's awesome, the more people share their experiences the better the industry will be. It's when people start assuming they know what works and what doesn't or start giving an opinion on a product they have never used is when things go sideways.

If anyone is ever on the Island and wants to try out the Thomson come on over I would love to lend it to you to test out.

March 10, 2014, 1:34 p.m.

My Thomson post is in the mail. :D

Thank you to those who responded with feedback.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 12, 2014, 6:21 p.m.

I forgot to post this up…here is my review of the Thomson Elite Dropper:

http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014/03/thomson-elite-dropper-seatpost-product.html