Oh hey, my tire is on PB

March 17, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

So was this a format agreement where you got paid or was this an angry email telling them their suspension setup was all wrong and that they need to change their tires?

Tire looks great btw.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

March 17, 2011, 5:58 p.m.

I may fall short on most things, but one of the few areas where I can offer input to the industry is through tire design. I only say this because from first hand information, you'd be surprised at who doesn't know what about the purpose behind designing tires for different applications. Most tires in mtb are designed to look good, functionality second. The Minion DH-R is a great example. With a few simple fixes it could be a great rear tire but as is its at best mediocre, and those flaws are blatantly obvious.

I would know, I'm trying to get on as a moto tire tester and designer and they tell me its off limits because they actually use pro MX racers, a closed track, and all sorts of analytical tools to determine what works and what doesn't.

I am pretty proud of this tire though. I'm not bragging, but I think it will be a good product to fill a void. It will be an 'overall' conditions tire for the most part, with leanings towards soft-intermediate. Definitely not a spike, but able to get the job done when needed. I've had a set for a few months now, and have done a couple of rides on them. So far so good, but the protos have a square profile, the production will be 'rounder' and thus easier to transition. The knob height will also be taller by a mm or more.

I have the original depiction of this tire here at my house that I did in 15 minutes one Saturday afternoon, in case you're wondering. Steve Peat, Greg Minnaar, and the rest of those guys may have tested it, but they sure did not have any input to the design.

;)

March 17, 2011, 6:50 p.m.

Looks like a nevegal…

March 17, 2011, 7:01 p.m.

Wayne, could you shed some light on what makes a good tire design? As well, do you have any guidance on whether one should run a rear tire opposite to the recommended direction of rotation (just something I've always wondered about. The INTERNET has various answers).

March 17, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

I have the original depiction of this tire here at my house that I did in 15 minutes one Saturday afternoon, in case you're wondering.

I was thinking it would have taken at least 20 mins possible 30, but wow 15……thanks for the effort.

lol.

March 17, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

Wayne, could you shed some light on what makes a good tire design? As well, do you have any guidance on whether one should run a rear tire opposite to the recommended direction of rotation (just something I've always wondered about. The INTERNET has various answers).

My thought on the whole "running the tire backwards thing" was that the tire designers should be smart enough to design a directional tire and tell you the best direction to run it.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

March 17, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

In regards to direction of tire use, just think about which parts of the tire hits the dirt first and which part of the dirt gets traction under braking, and there will be your answer.

Would you want the ramped edge being used as your braking edge? Of course not.

March 17, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

My thought on the whole "running the tire backwards thing" was that the tire designers should be smart enough to design a directional tire and tell you the best direction to run it.

Sure, but since we've got an in-house tire designer, let's hear him speak up!

March 17, 2011, 9:01 p.m.

Looks like a nevegal…

Looks like a Trek…

March 17, 2011, 9:04 p.m.

Screw you Oxley, I wanted it to look like the new Norco.

March 17, 2011, 10 p.m.

Maxxis took advantage of their relationship with stay-at-home dad Wayne Parsons to develop the new tread pattern.

doesn't quite have the same ring to it

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 17, 2011, 10:06 p.m.

In regards to direction of tire use, just think about which parts of the tire hits the dirt first and which part of the dirt gets traction under braking, and there will be your answer.

Would you want the ramped edge being used as your braking edge? Of course not.

Will we need to flip this tire around for climbing and then back for descending?

Pastor of Muppets

March 17, 2011, 11:07 p.m.

Will we need to flip this tire around for climbing and then back for descending?

isn't that what a flip flop hub is for???

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 17, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

Screw you Oxley, I wanted it to look like the new Norco.

Same thing.

March 17, 2011, 11:15 p.m.

I run a 60a DHF Minion backwards on the rear (as per Wayne's recommendation) and it has wicked climbing traction.