Jersey materials

Jan. 29, 2024, 12:15 a.m.

My newer bike jerseys all feel like a wet plastic grocery bag. But my old ones feel better. Why is that? And what's the solution? I don't want to resort to Merino wool. I don't know the various types of nylon or polyester. My theory is that they actually are using recycled plastic bottles more now, as they often brag about it right on the label.

Drives me crazy. I don't sweat like a pig, but probably more than you do, being 49 yo and slightly overweight. New TLD, and for my road bike, new Castelli jersey, are both very disappointing. My go-to MTB jersey is actually an old Columbia one, they sadly don't make anymore. I don't want it to dry quickly, I want it to not feel wet and clammy in the first place. Thoughts?

Jan. 29, 2024, 6:47 a.m.

Thin Merion base layer with a jersey over top ftw. Spend some money on a quality Merino base layer and you won't be disappointed - warm in winter and cool in summer.

Jan. 29, 2024, 7:43 a.m.

I’ve actually been noticing the opposite, my bike gear is more comfy than it used to be. My road crew used Sugoi for our last kit and our jerseys are freaking awesome (once they finally arrived), maybe try them?

If you don’t want to go merino then snag yourself a base layer for under your jersey. It’ll take care of all the wicking/cooling functions better than just a jersey.

(But for mountain bikin a long sleeve merino or other skiing base layer is basically ideal 8 months of the year around here IMO)

Last edited by: tashi on Jan. 29, 2024, 7:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2024, 2:12 a.m.

I sweat profusely and nothing will ever dry quickly enough, so i'm with you on that jerseys shouldn't feel wet or clammy even when they are pretty much soaked.

My favourites right now are jerseys in mesh or woven material. The Leatt gravity 4.0 is great for that, even when drenched it feels ok. Dainese has a woven fabric that is really nice as well, but beware of the tiny sizing on some of their jerseys.

Feb. 1, 2024, 1:11 p.m.

Why don't you want to go merino?

Feb. 2, 2024, 8:39 p.m.

I really like the Smartwool jerseys. They are a merino blend that is really comfortable regardless the temperature and dry pretty quickly

Feb. 3, 2024, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Why don't you want to go merino?

That was my first question.

Merino isn’t all created equally. Maybe a lower % merino for more durability is the ticket. Or a higher % for more warm n cozy. I find I go for the low % merino socks and shirts in summer for max speed drying and high % when it’s a base layer in winter.

I do find the full synthetic stuff these days stinks a lot less. I wear that at a bike park because I find the chafing and rubbing is too hard on wool.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Feb. 3, 2024, 9:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 3, 2024, 9:43 a.m.

I'm only in zone 2 on an E-bike so not producing much heat and its often not that warm so I wear a T shirt or 2 under the plastic jersey I toss the T-shirts in the washer after 1 wearing and keep wearing the plastic if it doesnt stink

I probably have 1/2 doz brands of merino all with holes and its itchy stuff for me but the T-shirts are a good idea

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 3, 2024, 10:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 10, 2024, 5:12 a.m.

Posted by: Walker
 I don't want it to dry quickly, I want it to not feel wet and clammy in the first place. Thoughts?

Wear a good mesh undershirt. Best thing ever for quickly moving sweat away from skin.

Feb. 12, 2024, 7:25 a.m.

I've been hardcore on merino for a few years but that has started to change.

I'd always brag about how it's still warm when wet. But, I mean, it better be, because it it almost always wet.

My current favorite is a "Paradox" Costco) brand 1/4 zip long sleeve made from "dri-release", only 11% merino which some would say is a meaningless amount, but I find it's not nearly as plasticky as a straight poly jersey, while still wicking and actually drying much better than straight merino.

I'm not sure I'd take it on a 4 day chilcotins trip, I'd still be worried about it smelling, but otherwise it's been really nice to actually have a dry back when riding.

Last edited by: Kenny on Feb. 12, 2024, 7:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 12, 2024, 8:26 a.m.

My current favorite is a "Paradox" Costco) brand 1/4 zip long sleeve made from "dri-release"

I'm not sure I'd take it on a 4 day chilcotins trip, I'd still be worried about it smelling, but otherwise it's been really nice to actually have a dry back when riding.

I can speak to the AntiFunk capabilities of the Paradox merinos. Im pretty versed in Dirtbag living, like "Got a shirt to stand up on its own once" versed... but 3 weeks at 44°c living inside a Leopard will do that, and these Paradox layers endured far better than I'd initially hoped.

Used them last year on a month long snowshoe/skidoo adventure across the arctic, Gotta make sure those sneaky Russians arent on our ice y'know...

Had 3 full sets of Paradox tops and Bottoms, and 1 set Arcteryx LEAF Rho tops and bottoms.

The dirty bird came into rotation less often than the Paradox as I dont mind beating up the inexpensive baselayer on snowshoe/heavy physical effort days. Would avg 1 to 2 days of use, then shoved back in a rucksack for a couple days after drying over night in the tent and the next set would take its place, repeat ad naus for 28 days.

At the end of those days, I didnt find the Paradox to be bad, stank wise speaking, at all, having endured around 8 to 10 days use per set without any washing to speak of. I actually found that for the limited use, the Rho layers developed 'The Funk' to a worse degree than the inexpensive Costco Paradox base layers.

Feb. 12, 2024, 8:42 a.m.

IME plastic can stink pretty bad, I've put a merino with 2 days back on cuz the plastic stunk to bad after only 2 days at a remote ski hut, but if yer gona be walking by a washing machine every day stinky plastic doesnt matter. Its really only the base layer right next to you body that stinks so the simple merino T shirt is good and cheapest

Feb. 15, 2024, 11:59 a.m.

I'm a Merino kind of human but I have to say that Paradox brand stuff has surprised me as well.  I'd wear paradox lingerie if they had it.

April 7, 2024, 9:43 p.m.

Years ago someone posted that synthetics needed to be washed with powder detergent first before wearing. Something about the fabric being an open cell. Body oils and liquid soap would clog up the cell. 

Another plug for Sports Sudz I guess