War On Fat

Nov. 20, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

Terrible article.

Just skimming the headlines, this is obvious. IME almost all "articles" that use the terms toxic or toxins are written as op-ed bullshit by people who lack even the slightest understanding of science.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 20, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

Terrible article. Filled with assumptions that are treated as proven facts. This tripe is nothing more than proof that correlation does equal causation.

Kn.

That it is.

However if you do some research on it yourself. You will discover that there is truth as Syncro will agree behind it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2013, 12:27 p.m.

However if you do some research on it yourself. You will discover that there is truth as Syncro will agree behind it.

Oh, it's not all bad, but I do prefer to read science and research articles that are all truth, not just some truth. I'd like to see the kind of honesty where assumptions are stated as such so the reader can sort the wheat from the chaff.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 21, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Oh, it's not all bad, but I do prefer to read science and research articles that are all truth, not just some truth. I'd like to see the kind of honesty where assumptions are stated as such so the reader can sort the wheat from the chaff.

Kn.

This should help.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all[HTML_REMOVED]src=pm

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 21, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

This should help.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all[HTML_REMOVED]src=pm

Kind of the other extreme - "eat as much as you want and NOT GET FAT"… if you eat more fat than you burn, your body will store some of the excess fat, no matter what kind of diet you are on. Processed carbs and sugars "make you fat" by sparing your body fat from being metabolized for energy. The extent and locations of fat storage are somewhat genetically determined. Fat is essential for life.

People seem to be deaf to the notion that getting exercise and trying to eat a wide variety of fresh, unprocessed foods is probably the best thing you can do to stay healthy. Forget about the Atkins diet, the South Beach Diet, the Paleo diet, the California watermelon diet … they all come and go but the 2 basic principles (exercise and sensible eating) always hold.

Nov. 21, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

Kind of the other extreme - "eat as much as you want and NOT GET FAT"… if you eat more fat than you burn, your body will store some of the excess fat, no matter what kind of diet you are on. The extent and locations of fat storage are somewhat genetically determined. Fat is essential for life.

People seem to be deaf to the notion that getting exercise and try to eat a wide variety of fresh, unprocessed foods is probably the best thing you can do to stay healthy. Forget about the Atkins diet, the South Beach Diet, the Paleo diet, the California watermelon diet … they all come and go but the 2 basic principles (exercise and sensible eating) always hold.

For me the big takeaway from that article was the arbitrary basis on which the whole notion of 'fat makes you fat' came into being and subsequently became common wisdom. Confirmation bias and a desire for a convenient and comfortable solution.

I grew up in the middle of this stuff. Low-fat everything, artificial sweeteners, pasta (because pasta and bread are wholesome - they can't make you fat!), egg white omelettes and carbo loading (anyone remember that??). Then we went a bit too far in the other direction with Atkins and ketosis. Now we're landing somewhere in the middle, trying to avoid industrial food stuff, processed carbs and crappy meat in favour of organic/hormone-free whole foods with an emphasis on locally produced everything.

We're getting better.

Nov. 21, 2013, 7:36 p.m.

For me the big takeaway from that article was the arbitrary basis on which the whole notion of 'fat makes you fat' came into being and subsequently became common wisdom. Confirmation bias and a desire for a convenient and comfortable solution.

I grew up in the middle of this stuff. Low-fat everything, artificial sweeteners, pasta (because pasta and bread are wholesome - they can't make you fat!), egg white omelettes and carbo loading (anyone remember that??). Then we went a bit too far in the other direction with Atkins and ketosis. Now we're landing somewhere in the middle, trying to avoid industrial food stuff, processed carbs and crappy meat in favour of organic/hormone-free whole foods with an emphasis on locally produced everything.

We're getting better.

Ermmmm - my take on the times piece is that Atkins was right….

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 21, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

People who carry excess weight do so because they take in more nutrients than their bodies require or can utilize. Its hardly rocket science.

Nov. 21, 2013, 8:40 p.m.

People who carry excess weight do so because they take in more nutrients than their bodies require or can utilize. Its hardly rocket science.

Did you read the article?

That may be true, but the form of those nutrients is also very important - the work on endocrinology is going to be very important IMO.

The whole gist of current, leading edge research (and our evolutionary biology which didn't involve refined sugars and carbs) is that Atkins was right. High fat,high protein, low carb and a reasonable amount of veg works.

Substitute the same amount of nutrients / kJ of fat / protein with carbs / sugar and you are fucked.

It would appear you are all products of 50 years of the Canada Food Guide and the low-carb diet mythology…

My blog - read it!

Nov. 21, 2013, 9 p.m.

I said 'big' not 'only'.

Nov. 21, 2013, 11:56 p.m.

Heard this once … Most of the obesity epidemic is simply the natural response to living in an unnatural environment.

I have no filter …

Nov. 22, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

The whole gist of current, leading edge research (and our evolutionary biology which didn't involve refined sugars and carbs) is that Atkins was right.

Wait, what? As an obesity researcher (involved in "current, leading edge research"), that's news to me…

Care to share some of this research you're referring to?

Nov. 22, 2013, 1:49 p.m.

Wait, what? As an obesity researcher (involved in "current, leading edge research"), that's news to me…

Care to share some of this research you're referring to?

My blog - read it!

Nov. 22, 2013, 1:56 p.m.

puts up feet and cracks a beer

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 22, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

Um, by someone other than Taubes.
Actual scientific research articles.