the problem with wheat

March 12, 2014, 10:31 p.m.

im not claiming modern wheat is good for you but it wasn't cooked up in lab by the evil agri giants.

my whole family is wheat intolerant and I cook with spelt often as substitute and they react well to it. I can see both sides

yeah, we typed basically the same response at the same time.

i agree that these articles are often unclear and misrepresent the truth in the same manner that the agribiz's do. unfortunately the avg consumer is often left to their own devices to try and decipher where the truth really lies which is typically somewhere in teh middle.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 12, 2014, 11:31 p.m.

The gmo wheat that was developed ironicly is soft white ehich is low gluten. Used for crackers/flatbreads and animial feed.

Still its not in production

March 12, 2014, 11:37 p.m.

The gmo wheat that was developed ironicly is soft white ehich is low gluten. Used for crackers/flatbreads and animial feed.

Still its not in production

yeah, but the test fields are happeing. low gluten is great, but high glycemic (if it is and i would guess so) is not.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 13, 2014, 12:10 a.m.

i heart gluten

March 13, 2014, 7:22 a.m.

I can almost guarantee that people are fat today not because of gluten and wheat, but because of an entirely sedentary life style.

My kid's school has less than 5 bikes at the bike racks and every parent is sucking back a latte while driving through the school zone.

Yes processed foods are bad, but this wheat thing is another attempt at finding something external to blame.

I was at the End of the Line Cafe and a woman was going on about being gluten free and how healthy it was. Then proceeded to order a ham sandwich and a then a gluten free cookie….

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

March 13, 2014, 11:42 a.m.

I can almost guarantee that people are fat today not because of gluten and wheat, but because of an entirely sedentary life style.

My kid's school has less than 5 bikes at the bike racks and every parent is sucking back a latte while driving through the school zone.

Yes processed foods are bad, but this wheat thing is another attempt at finding something external to blame.

I was at the End of the Line Cafe and a woman was going on about being gluten free and how healthy it was. Then proceeded to order a ham sandwich and a then a gluten free cookie….

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

for sure the sedentary lifestyle is a factor, but we also know that caloric intake and quality will impact body composition. for the most part, in the body wheat behaves like sugar in terms of blood sugar response. so to that end, removing processed wheat from one's diet will help with a fat loss program.

Ellen Langer

March 13, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

I'm going to agree with Synchro based on a small sample. my gf and I, she has stopped eating wheat and dropped several pounds in the last two weeks, I haven't and am about the same, my weight loss is from life without alcohol.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 13, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

One major aspect of wheat based foods is that they are typically more calorically dense and a metric shitton more palatable than a paleo-style meal.

March 13, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

If you are hungry at 4pm eat a small piece of cheese or salami and it will knock the hunger back whereas carbs won't do that

March 13, 2014, 12:59 p.m.

I'm going to agree with Synchro based on a small sample. my gf and I, she has stopped eating wheat and dropped several pounds in the last two weeks, I haven't and am about the same, my weight loss is from life without alcohol.

One major aspect of wheat based foods is that they are typically more calorically dense and a metric shitton more palatable than a paleo-style meal.

these two posts are highly related.

sugar and foods that digest like sugar have numerous neurochemical and hormonal repsonses in the body and one of those effects can be appetite stimulating, whereas paleo type foods tend to be appetite neutral. so the quickly digestable foods such as sugar and wheat/refined grains are hard to put down and even though you may be full the brain reponse is eat moar.

so while wheat on it's own is not necessarily bad and can be part of a healthy diet, it may be worthwhile to examine your overall eating patterns and how you are ingesting wheat products. at the end of the day we can still enjoy our fav foods, but watch the quantities you're taking in.

two other tips:

1. if you're going to have that treat, whether it be bread, pasta, cake, etc make sure it's very enjoyable so you make the most of those calories.

2. food timing can make a big difference as well and two of the best times to take in carb calories are in the mornings and after a workout - google the carbohydrate window.

finally , one thing to keep in mind is that while we have good ideas about how our bodies respond to food, food science is still evolving and that we don't all respond the same way to food. in general a diet based on a wide balance of fresh whole foods will serve you well.

Ellen Langer

March 13, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

A balanced diet. Everything in moderation. Portion control.

Try all that stuff before jumping on any anti wheat, anti carbs, anti anything campaign.

I love the home made bread my loving girlfriend makes. I'll trust her degree in dietetics and extensive study in Proteomics. If she feeds it to me I know it's safe, health, and damn good.

March 13, 2014, 1:15 p.m.

Also, chocolate.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 13, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

Also, chocolate.

Adding chocolate? I support that. Cutting out chocolate? I do not support that.

March 13, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

Have his book and one of the things he mentions in it is that our body has a certain limit for things like wheat. And that when we take in to much of it. Our body reacts negatively.

http://philmaffetone.com/2-week-test

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 13, 2014, 7:48 p.m.

So you both lost weight because you cut out a portion of your diet.

Losing weight is simple:

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.