the problem with wheat

March 13, 2014, 7:50 p.m.

So,who here understands that the wheat we eat today is not the same plant that our grandparents and even parents ate 50 years ago?

That's where it seems the problem begins.

Pastor of Muppets

March 13, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

So,who here understands that the wheat we eat today is not the same plant that our grandparents and even parents ate 50 years ago?

Its true of agriculture in general:

_- More than 90 percent of crop varieties have disappeared from farmers’ fields

- 75 percent of the world’s food is generated from only 12 plants and five animal species

- Of the 4 percent of the 250 000 to 300 000 known edible plant species, only 150 to 200 are used by humans. Only three - rice, maize and wheat - contribute nearly 60 percent of calories and proteins obtained by humans from plants.

- 30 percent of livestock breeds are at risk of extinction; six breeds are lost each month.

- 75 percent of plant genetic diversity has been lost as farmers worldwide have left their multiple local varieties and landraces for genetically uniform, high-yielding varieties._

Source - UN Food and Agriculture

http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5609e/y5609e02.htm

The old ways are dying, agribusiness is taking an industrial approach to feeding the 7 billion plus humans on the earth.

March 13, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

Put Wheat Belly down and read a good book by Susan Powter. She had the cure for obesity in the 80's and 90's.

March 13, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

Put Wheat Belly down and read a good book by Susan Powter. She had the cure for obesity in the 80's and 90's.

It's not about obesity for me,its about what and how we process what we eat.

Pastor of Muppets

March 13, 2014, 11:50 p.m.

I can almost guarantee that people are fat today not because of gluten and wheat, but because of an entirely sedentary life style.

Sugar/carbs is the reason, its becoming more and more accepted. NA diet swapped fat for sugar, result is obesity and attendant problems like diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Being sedentary certainly contributes.

http://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000032.full?sid=a5211cea-ab9e-4567-9509-55a7f0fc98bd

March 14, 2014, 6:33 a.m.

It's not about obesity for me,its about what and how we process what we eat.

I don't doubt that.

Generally speaking people are looking for the silver bullet for their fatness.

Food is 85% of the equation, but I think it is foolish to point fingers at one food group. Now, processed and prepackaged food… Yes, avoid it at all costs. But, whole wheat bread and pasta, have an appropriate serving size and you won't get fat. And a serving of pasta us not an olive garden plate of it.

Fatty foods are super dense in calories. It's like the thread where guys are adding a quarter cup of oil to their smoothies. Wtf? A table spoon of oil has almost 120 calories…. That's going to get you fat too.

I measure everything at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

March 14, 2014, 6:47 a.m.

I don't doubt that.

Generally speaking people are looking for the silver bullet for their fatness.

Food is 85% of the equation, but I think it is foolish to point fingers at one food group. Now, processed and prepackaged food… Yes, avoid it at all costs. But, whole wheat bread and pasta, have an appropriate serving size and you won't get fat. And a serving of pasta us not an olive garden plate of it.

Fatty foods are super dense in calories. It's like the thread where guys are adding a quarter cup of oil to their smoothies. Wtf? A table spoon of oil has almost 120 calories…. That's going to get you fat too.

I measure everything at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This thread isn't about getting or being fat per say. It's about modern wheat,which is being shown to be the root cause of many gastrointestinal problems,disease and has been proven to be an appetite stimulant.

A sedentary lifestyle AND wheat and processed food consumption WILL make you fat,no one is claiming otherwise.

As for measuring your food,I eat like a horse,as much as I want,when I want,yet am not "fat" at 6'2" and 215 lbs (maybe a little fluffy here and there,but that will be gone come bike season). The food I eat is about 95% homemade,not processed and mostly what free. I also eat a ton of "good fats". Coincidence?

Pastor of Muppets

March 14, 2014, 8:06 a.m.

This thread isn't about getting or being fat per say. It's about modern wheat,which is being shown to be the root cause of many gastrointestinal problems,disease and has been proven to be an appetite stimulant.

A sedentary lifestyle AND wheat and processed food consumption WILL make you fat,no one is claiming otherwise.

As for measuring your food,I eat like a horse,as much as I want,when I want,yet am not "fat" at 6'2" and 215 lbs (maybe a little fluffy here and there,but that will be gone come bike season). The food I eat is about 95% homemade,not processed and mostly what free. I also eat a ton of "good fats". Coincidence?

I don't believe any of the articles posted have done more than show a correlation with diseases, not causation.

At 5'10 and 195 I ate like a horse and consumed tons of carbs and was fluffy at times. Coincidence? No,my caloric intake matched my output. At now at 180 and attempting to gain 15 pounds of lean mass…I am measuring how much of what I am consuming.

No doubt wheat has downsides. However, a lot of the info is incorrect as Rat has already pointed out.

Obviously we should all increase the variety of natural foods in our diets and try to avoid processed junk.

March 14, 2014, 8:39 a.m.

thats ^^ true

but its pretty hard to talk about just modern wheat and not talk about the problems it has caused …its all interconnected

An interesting thing to look at is what modern foods have done to indigenous peoples in a very short period of time .

March 14, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

thats ^^ true

but its pretty hard to talk about just modern wheat and not talk about the problems it has caused …its all interconnected

An interesting thing to look at is what modern foods have done to indigenous peoples in a very short period of time .

I don't think the problem is merely "modern wheat". The problem is how much people eat and how little people exercise. Really, the biggest problem is overeating. There are hormonal/metabolic/psychosocial etc factors, but really, the reason you put on weight is that you burn off fewer calories than you stuff down your pie hole. Stomach reduction surgery is a classic example of this. I don't deny that these people have very real problems, but the problem is not with your stomach, but what and how much you are putting into it. Classic case of treating the symptom but not the actual cause. Its like getting heart surgery to make your heart bigger so you can run faster.

Study after study has shown the "secret" of a good diet is not much more complicated than eating a wide variety of fresh, whole, unprocessed foods. You shouldn't have to eat food just because "its good for you". Explore for alternatives or learn to prepare food so that its enjoyable, tasty, healthy and nutritious.

March 14, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

I was skiing with a gastroenterologist last month and I asked him flat out if there are any real medical reasons for people being obese and he answered no, there is no doubt people have bad eating habits but what we are actualy talking about in this thread is …did monsanto fuck up our wheat?

March 14, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

I gave up wheat about a year ago and have had a huge improvement in what was previously a totally messed up digestive system. I feel waaay better. I have tried many things in the past. including being a sickly vegan for nearly 5 years, but I looked like I had cancer so that clearly didn't work. Then I added meat back in but ate a lot of veg, very little processed food or junk, but still ate pasta and bread. Still was messed up. Then I quit all grains except white rice and feel awesome.

March 14, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

I gave up wheat about a year ago and have had a huge improvement in what was previously a totally messed up digestive system. I feel waaay better. I have tried many things in the past. including being a sickly vegan for nearly 5 years, but I looked like I had cancer so that clearly didn't work. Then I added meat back in but ate a lot of veg, very little processed food or junk, but still ate pasta and bread. Still was messed up. Then I quit all grains except white rice and feel awesome.

waits for "sample of one" and anecdote rebuttals

Pastor of Muppets

March 14, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

Still was messed up. Then I quit all grains except white rice and feel awesome.

waits for "sample of one" and anecdote rebuttals

How about a counter-example. Rice allergy/intolerance is quite common too …

http://www.food-allergens.de/symposium-3-1/rice/rice-allergens.htm

March 14, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

How about a counter-example. Rice allergy/intolerance is quite common too …

http://www.food-allergens.de/symposium-3-1/rice/rice-allergens.htm

I don't think he's making a case for rice in general but rather for himself specifically.
I went through a similar elimination and still tolerate most wheat products really well (when I actually eat them). But pasta messes me up every time.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.