the problem with wheat

March 27, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

that's why i've cut out pop. i figure i can choose a 1L bottle of soda or have a whole cake for the same amount of sugar. the cake is the easy choice.

cake is full of wheat though….

March 27, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

cake is full of wheat though….

really?

welllll shit.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 27, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

I hear gluten free cake tastes awesome…:lol:

…and, lost me at "pick up a can of (insert pop of choice here)" …I feel fortunate to have dodged the pop addiction bullet somehow, the Wife too…and now our Daughter.

March 27, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

I am embarrassed for your lack of cake knowledge, you clearly dont eat enough of it…
Flourless chocolate cake is good stuff

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-14478

and you call yourselfes bakers….

wait which site is this, maybe its bikers

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

March 27, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

Tub of yummy gluten free brownies in my fridge.

Oh She Glows

April 3, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

bizump!

A 1997 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that increased risk of colon and rectal cancer was positively associated with consumption of bread, cereal dishes, potatoes, cakes, desserts and refined sugars, but not with eggs or meat.

http://www.theiflife.com/why-your-doctor-is-wrong-about-meat/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 4, 2014, 1:42 a.m.

A couple of days ago I had a chat with a student who is now really into lifting weights. We started to chat about nutrition and he told me that he cut down his total carb consumption to a max 100g per day.

He has lost about 50 kg of body mass, most of it by starting to get some coaching (lifting) and some self-education on nutrition. He said at the beginning he drastically cut out processed food and nearly all the wheat.

I have been eating a lot of salad, and veggies and fruits at the moment, along with some joghurt and I feel great, I feel like I am soaring at times, and the bloated feeling after some wheat which I had in the past is no longer there.

I guess a bit of reasonable experimenting is what should be done by everybody.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 7, 2014, 1:47 p.m.

bizump!

Quote:
A 1997 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that increased risk of colon and rectal cancer was positively associated with consumption of bread, cereal dishes, potatoes, cakes, desserts and refined sugars, but not with eggs or meat.
http://www.theiflife.com/why-your-do...ng-about-meat/

http://www.theiflife.com/why-your-doctor-is-wrong-about-meat/

If you eat a diet rich in animal protein between the ages of 50-65:The (cancer) risks of a high-protein diet are even comparable to smoking, the researchers said (see below).

We examined links between protein intake and mortality. Respondents aged 50–65 reporting high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and a 4-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years. These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. Conversely, high protein intake was associated with reduced cancer and overall mortality in respondents over 65, but a 5-fold increase in diabetes mortality across all ages. Mouse studies confirmed the effect of high protein intake and GHR-IGF-1 signaling on the incidence and progression of breast and melanoma tumors, but also the detrimental effects of a low protein diet in the very old. These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity.

Who's right? I don't know. Maybe they are both right. Maybe they are both wrong. It does vouch, again, for what a vast majority of studies show … most types of food consumed in variety and in moderation probably aren't going to harm you to any large degree. Its always the "X"-rich diets that researches tend to warn people about. The idea that "if is little of it is good for me, more must be better" is seldom true in Life, but seems to be the unfailing credo of the "Health Movement".

April 7, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

that's why i've cut out pop. i figure i can choose a 1L bottle of soda or have a whole cake for the same amount of sugar. the cake is the easy choice.

Tell me not to touch a bottle of Pepsi after 3 plus hours on the bike is not advisable.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 8, 2014, 1:14 a.m.

If you eat a diet rich in animal protein between the ages of 50-65:The (cancer) risks of a high-protein diet are even comparable to smoking, the researchers said (see below).

Who's right? I don't know. Maybe they are both right. Maybe they are both wrong. It does vouch, again, for what a vast majority of studies show … most types of food consumed in variety and in moderation probably aren't going to harm you to any large degree. Its always the "X"-rich diets that researches tend to warn people about. The idea that "if is little of it is good for me, more must be better" is seldom true in Life, but seems to be the unfailing credo of the "Health Movement".

These are correlations. High protein consumption for Joe Average is fast food, burgers with fries and pop.

Try to find a study that tracked protein, fat by type, carbs, and overall nutrient density. If you can find one I'd be surprised if protein is the culprit.

April 8, 2014, 6:09 a.m.

These are correlations. High protein consumption for Joe Average is fast food, burgers with fries and pop.

Try to find a study that tracked protein, fat by type, carbs, and overall nutrient density. If you can find one I'd be surprised if protein is the culprit.

You make a good point. But note that the study's conclusions are not based solely on diet uptake and cancer rates. They are also correlated with growth hormone/growth factor/insulin levels and the model is tested on rats. The study also found that high-protein diets show fewer effects (and possibly benefits) for those over age 65. This is attributed to the decline in the body's ability to absorb protein as it approaches that age. Anyway, just another study …

April 8, 2014, 6:58 a.m.

We live in a wonderful time where it doesn't matter whether you gloat about eating animals kept in horrific conditions for all of their short lives, or are a someone who eats nothing but grass, there will be a 'scientific study' out there that you can reference to back up your thinking (or lack of…).

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 8, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

We live in a wonderful time where it doesn't matter whether you gloat about eating animals kept in horrific conditions for all of their short lives, or are a someone who eats nothing but grass, there will be a 'scientific study' out there that you can reference to back up your thinking (or lack of…).

This. It can be so hard to account for the validity, conditions and bias in any study. They make for interesting reading and sometimes offer suggestions on ideas to explore further ultimately leading to a few personal experiments.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.