NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

Feb. 18, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

any thoughts good or bad experiences that you guys have had with the race face carbon components?

my six-C cranks are going 4 years strong, numerous pedal strikes and rocks bouncing off, seems to be holding up well.

i've always stayed away from carbon bars, but lately i've been eyeing the six c carbon bars. any thoughts on that lads?

i think the carbon vs aluminium debate comes up every year as the carbon technology improves. so it would be good to get a roundabout current synopsis from the crowd.

Oh yeah, I also had a pair of SixC cranks that failed at the threaded pedal insert…. not catastrophic. They were replaced under warranty and I decided to get Turbines instead. More bad luck with carbon for me.

Feb. 19, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

Oh yeah, I also had a pair of SixC cranks that failed at the threaded pedal insert…. not catastrophic. They were replaced under warranty and I decided to get Turbines instead. More bad luck with carbon for me.

i've heard of this a well. so i check mine often for signs of stress. but as most people say, it's hard to tell with carbon until it fails catastrophically.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Feb. 21, 2015, 3:58 p.m.

All done other than a Minion for the rear.

Feb. 21, 2015, 4:05 p.m.

All done other than a Minion for the rear.

That is bitchin..

Feb. 21, 2015, 4:35 p.m.

Almost looks fake the lines are so clean. Particularly around the water bottle mount. Maybe im too hungover.

Feb. 21, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

Very nice, what's it weigh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 21, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

That is bitchin..

BITCHIN CAMARO!!!!!! Put a Vorsprung Corset on that Float X and then you're done.

Shed head!

Feb. 21, 2015, 10:36 p.m.

damn, that's mint.

Feb. 22, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

Batbike!

Feb. 24, 2015, 7:18 a.m.

Thx guys.
Haven't weighed it yet.
Put my order in for the Sleeve. Looks like they are backordered til the end of March so it will be a while for a ride report.

Feb. 24, 2015, 10:24 p.m.

i've always stayed away from carbon bars, but lately i've been eyeing the six c carbon bars. any thoughts on that lads?

I recently picked up some SixC bars, my first pair of carbon bars after many Race Face and Chromag aluminum bars. I was surprised that there was a noticeable difference in feel from aluminum. More dampened.

Six6 seem very tough. Very scratch resistant, stiff. Even the torque spec is just "go off of recommended torque spec of stem".

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 25, 2015, 11:58 a.m.

I recently moved to SixC as well…but have not noticed a huge difference. Was thinking about taking a bunch of parts up to the trails and do laps on different bits to see if I can actually tell the difference.

Feb. 25, 2015, 1:12 p.m.

Was thinking about taking a bunch of parts up to the trails and do laps on different bits to see if I can actually tell the difference.

sounds like a waste of a perfectly good ride :(

consider volunteering to babysit for someone who doesn't get out to ride much, so they can have some fun, and then making a bunch of shit up :idea:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 25, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

sounds like a waste of a perfectly good ride :(

consider volunteering to babysit for someone who doesn't get out to ride much, so they can have some fun, and then making a bunch of shit up :idea:

Guess we think a bit differently…sounds interesting to me…lol. I am also not into making shit up…I want to know what works for me better…is carbon worth it other than the weight savings? So many questions….

As for the riding, I don't get out nearly enough and my expanding waistline is proof.

Feb. 25, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

Guess we think a bit differently…sounds interesting to me…lol. I am also not into making shit up…I want to know what works for me better…is carbon worth it other than the weight savings? So many questions….

As for the riding, I don't get out nearly enough and my expanding waistline is proof.

I don't get it. Is carbon worth what? Didn't you already buy the bar? Is it saving you seconds climbing? Do your hands feel .5% less numb after a ride?
I say ride it and if it is good then it is good. I love gear, too but maybe sometimes we get too focused on the shiny bits.