NSMB - 2015 – Hardtail Thread

June 7, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

Need to get a chain guide of some sort. Was given a Blackspire Blackguard. Anyone use this? Will it work with a 36T chain ring?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 7, 2015, 5:05 p.m.

1x1'd the Samurai in honour of Adrian's Big F'N Loop and Sea to Sky Singlespeed Champs yesterday in Pemberton…course was about 40km and 2000m of climbing, happy/nimby/middle earth/extratron/skalula/res/handjob/econo/moose jaw…rode 'er to a 2nd behind Adrian for singlespeeders and fifth overall. definitely a bit silly, but ended up being a great day, and I felt better than I did in the nimby last week, ha!

June 7, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

Nice work flip. What gear did you run?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 7, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

Nice work flip. What gear did you run?

thanks, I ended up with 30x21. I had a 21t cog, and North Shore Billet hooked me up with the direct mount gxp 30t ring, which was a super easy swap from my 2x spider. Actually cleaned a lot more than I would've expected, but you also know pretty early whether it's worth the effort to attempt certain pitches! Really glad I did it, good to push yourself in stupid directions sometimes!

June 7, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

Is that rust on the chainstay and downtube?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 7, 2015, 9:35 p.m.

thanks, I ended up with 30x21. I had a 21t cog, and North Shore Billet hooked me up with the direct mount gxp 30t ring, which was a super easy swap from my 2x spider. Actually cleaned a lot more than I would've expected, but you also know pretty early whether it's worth the effort to attempt certain pitches! Really glad I did it, good to push yourself in stupid directions sometimes!

Very cool, and awesome effort to come 5th overall!

Do you know what gearing Adrian was running? I've ridden my S.Spd in Pemby a few times (including the Nimby 50 a couple of years ago) and I find it one of the hardest places to pick gearing for…

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

June 7, 2015, 11:17 p.m.

definitely a bit silly, but ended up being a great day, and I felt better than I did in the nimby last week, ha!

I was ~10 min behind you in the nimby this year and felt ok at the end. according to strava I finished ~20min ahead of you on the BFL and going up Hand Job I can not remember ever wanting anything to end as much as that climb.

Drew, I ran 30X21 for the nimby and 32X21 for the BFL, it worked because there was no one in front of me till let it go.

I got lucky that Davis's 22 pound carbon lawn dark imploded on him, or this race would have hurt a lot more I think.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 8, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

I was ~10 min behind you in the nimby this year and felt ok at the end. according to strava I finished ~20min ahead of you on the BFL and going up Hand Job I can not remember ever wanting anything to end as much as that climb.

Drew, I ran 30X21 for the nimby and 32X21 for the BFL, it worked because there was no one in front of me till let it go.

I got lucky that Davis's 22 pound carbon lawn dark imploded on him, or this race would have hurt a lot more I think.

yeah, I said to a few people that while the SS is hard in bursts, there's a lot more recovery moments too since you can't be hammering on the pedals a lot of the time since you're spun out…Handjob sucked, no doubt about it!! I forgot how long it goes on, lol.

June 8, 2015, 10:05 a.m.

Mad respect for you singlespeeders. I have turned my urban shit-bike into a singlespeed and am enjoying the no-nonsense simple approach of just riding. I must try it on the trails to see if I'm hooked.

Wrong. Always.

June 8, 2015, 11 a.m.

this thread needs more action! couple of shots from Saturday by Ed Witwicki

top of Skelu'la7

chunderdome Resurrectum

June 8, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

this thread needs more action! couple of shots from Saturday by Ed Witwicki

top of Skelu'la7

chunderdome Resurrectum

Incredible. Huge kudos to anyone who can pedal up there at all, let alone on a singlespeed!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 8, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

Is that rust on the chainstay and downtube?

yeah, the frame just had a double clearcoat, no paint….the clearcoat is more susceptible to cracking and flaking than paint. I'll probably get the frame painted this coming winter.

June 8, 2015, noon

Drew, I ran 30X21 for the nimby and 32X21 for the BFL, it worked because there was no one in front of me till let it go…

Thanks!

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

June 8, 2015, 12:53 p.m.

yeah, the frame just had a double clearcoat, no paint….the clearcoat is more susceptible to cracking and flaking than paint. I'll probably get the frame painted this coming winter.

I'd forgotten that you convinced Ian to sell you a clearcoated raw frame. Still wish there was a way to make that more permanent, something awesome about being able to see the heat distortion around the welds, as well as the raw steel itself. Will you get it it painted by Dekerf? I'm considering sending them my Stylus.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 8, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

Is there a better way to get that clear effect than clearcoat? Some kind of urethane or something else more pliable?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.