NSMB - 2013 - Hardtail Build thread

May 24, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

Some words by that Seb Kemp fellow

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 24, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

That's a great article. He must slay with the chicks.
:D

Wrong. Always.

May 24, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

I like his comments on having to listen to enginerds go on about the minutiae of suspension curves, suspension rates, angles, linkages etc. Hardtails are good fun.

Shed head!

May 24, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

I've never understood how some people call changing a few bearing in the suspension linkage once every few years "higher maintenance." I guess it's higher than nothing at all but it's hardly a factor.

I had a steel hardtail and my short travel fully does everything better

May 24, 2013, 1:26 p.m.

I like his comments on having to listen to enginerds go on about the minutiae of suspension curves, suspension rates, angles, linkages etc. Hardtails are good fun.

With the Surface I have to answer 29er HT questions, after the people Im riding with figure out that I can actually ride a bike.

I've never understood how some people call changing a few bearing in the suspension linkage once every few years "higher maintenance." I guess it's higher than nothing at all but it's hardly a factor.

Some people do bearing maintenance yearly, plus servicing suspension, and may not have access to bearing presses and other fancy do-dad tools resulting in higher costs. Different strokes for different folks though.

I really hope you are not comparing your Cove to your Transition? Apples to oranges IMHO

Comparing my Surface to my Range, the Surface feels like Im being shot out of a gun in almost every situation except high speed techy descents. That being said, I'd love to try-out something like a Blur TRC as a comparison to the Surface, a Sight 650B felt to be right smack in between my current steeds.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 24, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

Love it. My Stylus is my "one bike", I'm just lucky to be able to afford others. And yeah, I get a lot of down the nose looks by a lot of people on my hardtail, but it does me just fine.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 24, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

Am I faster on my hardtail? No
Can I climb more efficiently on it? No
Is it more comfortable? No
Can I ride everything on it that I would on my trail bike? Not really.
Is it the best bike I've ever owned? Absolutely.

It's personal preference, I get why you don't like it, and you are right, but personally, the smile that my Blue Pig puts on my face is worth the performance hit I take by riding it.

May 24, 2013, 4:08 p.m.

I had to ride my hardtail while waiting for my 650B frame to appear for a 2 1/2 month period this year. Had some of the most fun, challenging rides to date on a bicycle. Don't get me wrong, I am sooo looking forward to getting on my full suspension trailbike (now that I have it and it's built) but I will continue to ride my hardtail alot because it provides a different trail experience that I really enjoy and can't get enough of.

Shed head!

May 25, 2013, 4:52 a.m.

Good article I thought and it sums up nicely why I like hardtails. I always flit between singlespeed and gears, so a hardtail is good for me as I hate mech-style tensioners. Whenever I get pissed off with my fs bike breaking and being noisey, sluggish or anything I always wish for a singlespeed hardtail haha

May 25, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

Hardtails rule!

The Trl isn't getting much action since the Surface has arrived.

May 26, 2013, 12:11 a.m.

Sick collection^^^^^^^

Shed head!

May 26, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

His words on becoming a true biking ninja are class. And it is true. Last year I did ride my full-suss pig a few times, but most often rode my HT. It simpls is fun, and hammering through turns and berms and using roots as lift-offs is just so much more fun. And it can scare me more than my dh bike can, since it is a good scare.

Dancing the dance of the ht is pure, loving, childish-grinning and giggling fun.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 4, 2013, 4:35 a.m.

Got my Chameleon into a rideable state now. Do it all fun jumpy trail hardtail thing. Definitely feels like it's gonna be fun! The Sektors feel so nice, really plush. Might need a harder spring tho, I have to use a lot of compression.

Next things on the list are a thomson post so I can get a proper seat for pedalling around on, and then a new wheelset (currently borrowing the front wheel from my DH bike, and the back hub's pitted to fuck)

June 6, 2013, 6:57 a.m.

I sort of upgraded my beloved stylus by buying a small saddle bag for tools, a bottle cage, and a small pump that is put beneath the cage - now I do not have to lug my backpack with me all the time I want to go out for a short 2 hour spin.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 6, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

Deity Streetsweeper proto - 24.7 pounds.

Frame: Deity Streetsweeper proto
Fork: 2007 Fox 36 Float, 2009 R internals, 2009 32 piston
Headset: FSA Impact
Stem: Kore Repute
Bar: Deity CZ38
Grip: Sensus
Seat: Deity Divot
Seatpost: SDG Micro I-Beam
Cranks: Deity Vendetta 3.0, VTI spindle, 28t Deity Termite sprocket
Chain: SRAM PC-1
Pedals: Deity Compound
Brake: Shimano XT, 140mm Hope floating rotor
Front wheel: Sun Inferno 31/Atomlab Pimplite DJ, Specialized Compound Control 2.2"
Rear wheel: Sun Inferno 31/Hadley SS, Specialized Compound Control 2.0"