NSMB - 2012 Light AM/FR bike build off 4-7"

Jan. 23, 2012, 6:04 p.m.

The bandit looks great, I'd love one in silver/raw.

Jan. 23, 2012, 7:50 p.m.

Kperras
It's pretty interesting to see that AM bike weights haven't really progressed over the last 2-3 years with the introduction of new carbon offerings. I've been "weight weenie-ing" for a while, and during that time, 6" bikes have consistently hovered around the 29-30lb mark.
We're not seeing the gains likes DH bikes have, still knowing that the weight losses to be had are relatively smaller.

well, if he had a 32mm chassis fork on that carbine it would help. even better with a carbon crown revelation. but yes, less than 29 with a dropper and front gears would likely take some compromising somewhere else.

Ragarding my Carbine, yes there is not doubt it could be a lot lighter.
The Dropper Post and Forks have been mentioned. Intally I was going for the Revalations, but I went the Lyric as I felt it was more of an "all mountain" fork. In those 2 parts alone there is around 1.5lbs saving, putting the bike in the 27lbs range. The wheels are also at the high end of the weight range.

Weight was not the top factor in the built. Having said that if the right parts are picked (I believe there has been progression in this area), then the weight factor would take care of itself, which I think it has in my case.

At the end of the day I don't think a 13kg 6" All Mountain bike (with dropper post) from 5 years ago would have been achievable as easy as it is in 2012.
I have been riding Mountain Bikes for 20 years and last 5 years have seen a fair bit of prgression in components, frame and suspension.

Question for Kperras: What would be a target weight in your opinion?

I will get the bike weighted in the coming days and report back.

Good discussion
Cheers
Ecka

Jan. 23, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

Needs a dropper post!

Shed head!

Jan. 23, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

Needs a dropper post!

I don't get this…

I mean, I get why people use them/like them/love them/swear by them/marry them (it's a slippery slope preacher), but why does everyone have to have one?

-For racing Enduro or Super-D? Yes!

-Really fast friends who hate to stop, and ditch you if you get a flat? Okay… (hey, you choose your friends)

-You ride -the harder AM trails- in Squamish all the time (or hot-laps of Severed Dick)? fine!

But really, if you ride up Burke, chill while your ride group sorts out their shit and has a snack (maybe puts some armour on), and then rip down then why would you carry a pound of extra complexity around with you?

I've tried a few different posts, and for my riding (which is pretty similar to Dave's riding) I can either stand and pedal it out for short sections, or stop for a few seconds to raise my seat.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 23, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

I don't get this…

I mean, I get why people use them/like them/love them/swear by them/marry them (it's a slippery slope preacher), but why does everyone have to have one?

-Really fast friends who hate to stop, and ditch you if you get a flat? Okay… (hey, you choose your friends)

-You ride -the harder AM trails- in Squamish all the time (or hot-laps of Severed Dick)? fine!

But really, if you ride up Burke, chill while your ride group sorts out their shit and has a snack (maybe puts some armour on), and then rip down then why would you carry a pound of extra complexity around with you?

I've tried a few different posts, and for my riding (which is pretty similar to Dave's riding) I can either stand and pedal it out for short sections, or stop for a few seconds to raise my seat.

Party pooper! Dropper posts are the new black!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 23, 2012, 9:46 p.m.

I don't get this…

Dude, what's wrong with my Kool-aid? Hey, I agree with you if all my riding was climb to the top and bomb down but I've been trying to get into longer, more extensive laps where small climbs and short descents are par for the course. I ride Burke often but I also ride everywhere else and the ability to raise and lower your seat with the push of a button is a prequisite to uninterrupted riding (Multiple laps on Fromme anyone?). Dropper posts are an asset that I think every bike in this category should have.

Shed head!

Jan. 23, 2012, 10:38 p.m.

Dropper posts are an asset that I think every bike in this category should have.

While I love having a dropper on my am bike I'd suggest people try one before saying everyone 'should' have one. As Drew mentioned some just don't do the ride up and down during the ride, just to start and are more than happy to raise/lower a standard post. I use both but definitely run the dropper most of the time.

Jan. 23, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

Another vote here for the standard post. I do see the merits of a dropper, but the extra weight, expense and complexity are a turn-off for me. Yep, I do have to stop and drop/raise the saddle occasionally, but thats ok by me…at least for now.

Jan. 23, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

Some people don't need the crutch of dropping their seat for anything steeper than the average driveway.

Jan. 23, 2012, 11:21 p.m.

I have no desire for a $200-400+g seatpost that requires constant maintenance. I don't have an issue stopping to lower it or standing for short bursts. Usually by the time I need to adjust it, I could use a break anyways.

Jan. 23, 2012, 11:38 p.m.

I like my dropper post for lazy reasons and turn out I don't really care about weight. Maybe when I brake my post (again :() I'll just get a thompson and be happier. Who knows

:england:

Jan. 24, 2012, 12:38 a.m.

I decided I wanted a bike with rear shoxes for pedaling around. The steel hardtail was fun, but I'm a lazy downhiller, not a precise pick my way through things kind of guy, so the back end kinda beat me up. I'll probably regret it, but it's for sale.

So, based on how much fun my Banshee Rune was, I picked up a Spitfire frameset. Took it on its maiden voyage today. Lots of fun, love the way the Banshee suspension pedals and isn't too "squishy". Still figuring out bar height and saddle position and the like, and I think I'll put it in the "steep" geometry setting for the local XC park. Can definitely feel the low BB when railing fast corners, and when smacking the bash guard into log crossings. :D

Build is identical to the hardtail with the obvious exception of the headset and seat post, and I raised the fork back up to 150mm. Tried out the carbon ass hatchet of a saddle, but it's going back on the DH bike. Would have been nice to lose the 110g over the Lynx, but my ass prefers the Chromag. Anyway, it weighed 28.8 with a Lynx DT before chain protection went on. Speaking of which, I found an interesting chain slap solution, it's used for adhering pieces of pond liner together. It's basically a sheet of rubber with a really tacky/pliable adhesive backing. I hate the tube wrap and the neoprene ones and velcro get chewed up right quick, plus, you can cut it to any shape.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

On my AM bike, I have a fixed post, because the chances are high that I am stopping to raise the fork, take off the pedalling platform on the bike anyway. On my hardtail, I don't have a TA fork, and I have the dropper post, and it's awesome, it makes the riding experience so pure, you don't have to stop for anything. Some trails that you would normally compromise on seat height, you no longer need to, and other times, it's just a great asset. I don't notice the weight, I have a GD which has been amazingly reliable, and I got it used.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

Dropper posts seem like a nice idea til I realise I hate faff on my bikes. Even front derailleurs cause me no end of problems.

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

Dorpper posts are game changers!

treezz
wow you are a ass