enduro evo man enough for whistler?

June 9, 2013, 1:20 a.m.

This took me far longer to type than originally anticipated, so I only ended up replying to two users. I also didn't do a final proof read so bear with me.

Smegolas:

My test bike is durable. It weighs in at 35 pounds without the pedals so while it will not give you the fastest time on the up-hill, it is fully capable of allowing you to pedal up them in a comfortable way: sitting down and spinning the cranks. This goes beyond fire road climbs too. I've been able to happily pedal up the technical climbs I've come across on the EVO. If you want to punish your knees, powering up in the big ring is do-able, but not recommended. For some of us, the descent is what we[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re after so we are willing to put in the extra work on the way up to have the extra travel on the way down. That extra travel equals extra confidence descents. It encourages you to send it a little bigger and push a little harder. The bike is also fully capable of sucking up poor line choice and keeping you rolling if you get lazy. I've found my test bike likes to be ridden fasr for optimal enjoyment, but I do not knew yet if this is because of my stiffer set-up and general need for speed, or the EVO's slacker 65 degree headangle and greater weight. While I'm not yet positive on the reason why, I have been more comfortable on the really technical trails when traveling at a higher speed.

The EVO is not quite at the level of a downhill bike for going balls-out, but it is still a really comfortable bike to ride in the park. For the jump trails - like Dirt Merchant, A-line, Crank it Up - and flatter, smoother trails - like B-line, Heart of Darkness - I prefer it over my downhill bike. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s on the trails like U[HTML_REMOVED]L (upper and lower) Joy Ride, U[HTML_REMOVED]L Whistler Downhill, and Schleyer where you can notice the difference in speed and control. If you don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t ride the park enough to consider a pass, I doubt you would feel the need for the downhill bike over the EVO. The Enduro EVO is a comfortable bike to ride and will not keep you off anything. You will still have fun on the gnarlier trails mentioned above, you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ll just have to ride them with a little less aggression which isn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t necessarily a bad thing. It might be the reminder you need to stay out of the clinic and go back to work the next day instead.

I've personally cased a whole bunch of big jumps, including the step up going into the Dwayne Johnson without problems. I also put the bike through all sorts of brake bumps, g-outs, root balls, mud holes, and rock gardens - both in and out of control - without many complaints. The resulting data so far is that it should handle the abuse you put it through. After five days in the park and many local rides over a four week span I have a broken derailleur cable, worn rear brake pads, and a hard to push dropper post lever. No flat tires, no wonky rims, and no weird squeaks, so I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;d say the EVO has done rather well. There is very little to complain about for a bike that can pedal up the hill well and take the park abuse.

It is important for you to weigh the negatives and positives here. You can conclude that the bike will do everything you need it to, but you also need to pose the question: will it do it better than anything else? Maybe two days in the bike park doesn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t warrant such a durable do-it all bike. Maybe you could get away with a little less travel and lighter weight. The EVO is not the most agile bike on the market, so while it can be chucked around, something that requires a little less effort to do so might be more appealing.

Always try to at least pedal around a few options before you buy if it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s possible.

j4ka:

The wheelset and tires on the Enduro Expert EVO have held up very well to my abuse which was a very pleasant surprise considering the bike doesn't necessarily scream "beat me at the bike park". While the hubs and tires look to be the same on the model I'm testing and the one you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ve ordered, the rims and spokes do not. I have no idea what the difference will be with these changes, but seeing as Specialized spec'd a durable wheelset on the high end model, I would expect the regular model[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s wheels to be equally as durable, just heavier.

The X0 rear derailleur on the Expert build is great and makes for a very quiet ride and ease of removing the wheel due to the clutch system and cage lock. I believe the X9 rear derailleur on the regular build has gotten both these features in trickle down so you can enjoy them too.

The cranks are different on both bikes. So far so good on the Custom SRAM carbon S-2200 which I've been told are basically X0 cranks without X0 chainrings. The bike has shifted well up front so far so I haven't found a problem with these different chainrings so far. The chain hasn't come off at all in the front on descents, and ascents are great with a granny ring too so I'm really enjoying the set-up and see no need for a change. There is a removable spider on these cranks which means it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s possible to put pretty much whatever size chainring you want on the front and run a one by ten, but I don't see why you would want to (this is coming from a guy with a one by nine on both his own pedally bikes). Therefore, I don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t think you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ll miss anything with the lack of a removable spider feature with the regular EVO's cranks. For park days you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re going to want the 36 in the front, and on long pedal days you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ll love the 24 as well.

The X-fusion fork looks like its 170mm on the regular model instead of the 180mm Fox on the Enduro Expert EVO. That seems a little odd to me, but it might not even be noticeable. I have heard good things about the X-fusion stuff so far, but have never ridden a product of theirs so I can make no further comment.

The Cane Creek rear shock I had James at Suspension Werx set up and I haven[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t fidled with it since. I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m sure you can get the Fox Van R on the regular build set-up correctly too.

I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m not a huge fan of the Specialized Command Post BlackLite, so not having it come on the bike wouldn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t be too big a downer for me.

I really like the Custom Avid X0 brakes on the Enduro Expert Evo, and I did not like the Elixirs I had back when they first came out. As a result the brakes are the one thing on the regular build I would probably end up swapping out right away for personal preference. That being said, some people really like Elixirs and you may be one of them.

In conclusion, nothing screams out immediate replacement, but this is simply speculation from the bike comparison on the Specialized Website: http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain/compare/#/1163-13EnduroFSR-13ENDUROEnduroFSRExpertEvo/1163-13EnduroFSR-13ENDUROEnduroFSREvo/
I would actually need to ride the Enduro EVO build to be able to comment on the two bikes[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; differences and values in direct comparison.

June 9, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

Nice writeup Mr. Cheez1ts. Bike park was surprisingly awesome yesterday, huh?

I don't ride that bike but I do ride a 180mm travel bike with the same 180mm Van that the new EVO comes with as my shuttle bike of all types, whether Cypress, Seymour, or Whistler. So I can at least comment on the fork, which is definitely enough fork to have a good time at Whistler regardless of whether you're a novice or expert. Personally I'm not too gutsy either, I can clear many but not all the A-Line jumps, Dirt Merch is a little over my head… but my riding buddy who is also on the same bike and fork as me clears everything on Dirt Merch, does do the big drops etc and he's not willing to give up the extra agility to go to a DH bike either.

We ride Whistler about 6-8 times a year and my similar experience agrees that it would surely be enough bike. It should suck up the jump casing, which if you're like me is the most important thing!

June 9, 2013, 3:06 p.m.

I have a 2010 Enduro that I converted to Evo with a RC4 coil and a 66 RC3 Ti up front. It's a lot of fun in the park, especially if, like me, you'll only be doing 5 or 6 days a year.

It's great on the jump lines, didn't bottom it out once today on any of the bigger features (also didn't case anything hard so can't comment there). It's stable at high speed but still playful and ' flick-able' off roots and rocks. On high speed tech trails it struggles to keep pace with friends on dedicated dh rigs but is still respectable.

It's my big bike and my do everything bike, tough enough for the park but somewhat light enough to pedal uphill. I'm happy with it so far and can't wait for Garbo to open next weekend! Top to bottom runs were pretty rough when I was running an air shock and fork so now that I'm on coil front and rear, my hands should feel quite a bit better.

June 10, 2013, 6:09 a.m.

:woot: wow, thanks a lot Cheez1ts, for a very detailed answer. I'm sorry, but I can't rep you this time 'round.

I will post my impressions too as soon as I get the bike (due this week).

June 10, 2013, 1:20 p.m.

Right on, Garrett, thanks for chiming in with so much detail.

June 10, 2013, 10:49 p.m.

You'll probably be fine on the Enduro evo at the bike park if you're only going 5-6x a season. But if you plan to ride more [HTML_REMOVED] want to really get the most enjoyment outta the bike park, then go for a full DH rig. An all mtn rig just doesn't have the same construction or geo or suspension. Take your Enduro to the park [HTML_REMOVED] then rent/borrow a DH bike to compare then you'll know exactly what I mean. Not to mention, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be beating up my all mtn bike in the park. It just isn't built to take that kind of abuse on a daily basis.

June 11, 2013, 6:24 a.m.

You'll probably be fine on the Enduro evo at the bike park if you're only going 5-6x a season. But if you plan to ride more [HTML_REMOVED] want to really get the most enjoyment outta the bike park, then go for a full DH rig. An all mtn rig just doesn't have the same construction or geo or suspension. Take your Enduro to the park [HTML_REMOVED] then rent/borrow a DH bike to compare then you'll know exactly what I mean. Not to mention, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be beating up my all mtn bike in the park. It just isn't built to take that kind of abuse on a daily basis.

Totally agree… many years ago I foolishly spent 2 days at WBP riding my hardtail… that was hell on wheels. DH bike will rip the park faster and with less rider and bike fatigue.

June 11, 2013, 1:59 p.m.

Totally agree… many years ago I foolishly spent 2 days at WBP riding my hardtail… that was hell on wheels.

believe it or not, Garbanzo was once butt-smooth HT-friendly loam. That was quite a weekend.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 11, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

I generally agree with the sentiment of this thread about not taking your AM bike to the bike park too often. However, the Enduro EVO is almost in its own category (or a category that doesn't have a lot of bikes in it any more). Coil sprung 180mm front and rear, and a 65 head angle, it's among the better pedalable bikes to take up there.

If you're the type of rider who tends to enjoy blue flow trails like Crank it Up or B-Line over the blacks like A-Line and Dirt Merchant, the EVO would be just fine. I rode a 160mm 66 degree bike a good number of days up there last year and it was actually more fun than a DH bike on CIU and the like.

flickr

June 12, 2013, 10:07 a.m.

Thanks a lot guys. Not that I can afford the evo expert, but do you think the lighter weight of the carbon frame might actually be a disadvantage at the bike park?
And Cheeze1ts – re your last comment about getting away with lighter weight and less travel – would you ever consider a Stumpjumper EVO at the park?

June 12, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

^I think he is meaning maybe go Enduro in the regular flavour instead of the Evo then.

Yeah the Range is fun up in WBP on CIU, B-Line, Blue Velvet etc but not so much on O-Sin, Schlayer and the likes.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 12, 2013, 10:53 a.m.

Thanks a lot guys. Not that I can afford the evo expert, but do you think the lighter weight of the carbon frame might actually be a disadvantage at the bike park?
And Cheeze1ts – re your last comment about getting away with lighter weight and less travel – would you ever consider a Stumpjumper EVO at the park?

I had an Ibis Mojo HD before the Enduro Evo, and I didn't like it at all at the park.
A combination of the air suspension, plus the lighter weight, the bike was all over the place. Not stable at all. I would think it would be a similar experience with the Enduro carbon.
I also have a Stumpjumper Evo 29. Just got it a few weeks ago, and have done a few easier runs on the Shore (Pipeline, Pingu Pangor), but definitely wouldn't take it to the park.
At least for me, The Enduro Evo is the minimum that I like for the WBP.

June 12, 2013, 11:30 a.m.

I have a stumpjumper evo and have ridden it in the park. It's fun for a while, especially on trails like ninja cougar and CIU but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a day.

Either you, or your bike will break.

June 12, 2013, 6:53 p.m.

believe it or not, Garbanzo was once butt-smooth HT-friendly loam. That was quite a weekend.

i was there the opening day of garbo on a norco sasquatch, it was awesome!
Enduro is plenty of bike to hit the park a few times a summer, if you're riding there frequently get a DH bike. Little bikes are capable and fun in the park but the abuse they take is the down side

June 15, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

Sorry for the poor response times from me, just haven't had free time as of late.

My last comment came about because two days in the park is dwarfed by how much I ride locally and what I prefer to ride locally. I do understand that my riding schedule and bike preferences could be much different than yours, so here is my situation for comparison:

I personally prefer a smaller travel bike (hardtail keeps me happy on the local trails), and if I were to only own one bike and only go to Whistler a couple times each year, I would lean towards a burly short travel machine (possibly the EVO stumpy you mentioned). That being said, I try to ride every day of the week (usually works out to five days a week), so the two days in Whistler seems very minimal and wouldn't be a deciding factor in the bike I chose to ride.

If I were to have one bike and ride the park as much as I do now (roughly two out of the five days), the Enduro EVO is a fine choice. I can pedal it, I can thrash it, and it doesn't fall apart. It has yet to limit my trail choice which makes it the most obvious and capable choice for being my only bike compared to my other bikes.

The Enduro EVO may be your preferred type of bike for local trails. It's comfortable and a lot of fun to go really fast on, plus the extra travel adds confidence for big trail features. I personally like to feel the trail when I ride, enjoy the added challenge of minimal suspension, and can usually put in an extra lap on the lighter trail bike before my legs give out on the climbs.

At Whistler, yes you will most likely have a better experience on the EVO than anything smaller.

A quick conclusion in case I rambled: if the Enduro EVO is a bike you think you will be happy riding everywhere, you probably will be. If Whistler is extremely important, the Enduro EVO is a fine choice. If you ride a ton locally and enjoy riding a small travel bike consider other options, but don't completely scrap the Enduro EVO idea.