Best all rounder front tyre

April 18, 2015, 9:10 a.m.

Tried 2 magic marys (trailstar) last summer, the grip was good but tires were totally done after only 2 weeks. Schwalbe wont be getting my money again.

April 18, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

That's pretty toasted after 2 weeks. Not surprised though especially if you are riding a dh bike.

Here is some perspective, imagine spending $140 on a rear moto tire and have it look like that after one race. I'm so happy to be riding mtb's again! hahaha

April 18, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

you ride alot of loose sharp rocks and such ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 19, 2015, 11:33 a.m.

So HR2 [HTML_REMOVED] Ardent. Hows about as a front rear combo?

This one? -[HTML_REMOVED] 27.5X2.30 58-584 60 FOLDABLE 845 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 19, 2015, 1:59 p.m.

So HR2 [HTML_REMOVED] Ardent. Hows about as a front rear combo?

i ran that for the nimby a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. i think just the one time, tho, so maybe the passing years have rosied up my impressions

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 19, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

Just having a look at the tire, I can already see small cracks and tears around the base of the side knobs. Very disappointing.

notice how the tears only seem to be affecting the knobs without longitudinal or no siping, whereas the ones with horizontal siping seem fine. i've always thought siping was about improving grip, but maybe it mitigates wear, too

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 19, 2015, 3:24 p.m.

I'd say it may have to do with when a bike is leaned over, especially in berms, there is more pressure on the tires. The side knobs are also struggling for more grip.

This is only my bored-on-a-sunday guessing game though.

April 22, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

You don´t need to trim down the HD in the front. If you put a Rock Razor in the rear this combination will roll incredibly well.
Spent spring+summer on those tires and they ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL fast.

Good to know about the Rock Razor - I've only ridden it around on the streets but even on the pavement it rolls well. The Nobby Nic, can feel it though. But those are obviously out of place.

My favorite front and rear tire was the Intense FRO 909. Hard, fast, at home leaned over or on the wood and never flatted on my first Imperial. Heavy but worth it.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 15, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

Okay, back to this thread. Has anyone had time on the Shorty? Is it any less of an all-rounder than the Magic Mary, and how is durability?

July 20, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

Okay, back to this thread. Has anyone had time on the Shorty? Is it any less of an all-rounder than the Magic Mary, and how is durability?

It's s really really decent front tire this summer. I've used it a bit in the winter and only recently put it on the froot to see how it would be in the tinder conditions. The centre spikes are about the same height or even a slight bit shorter than the Magic Mary, so it rolls well. I can see people saying it squirms a bit more than a MM on hard surfaces because of the flat profile and lack or (annoying transition knobs:). It feels a bit different on dicy bits like powdered blown out berms, but really it breaks free predictably, not unlike the Minion.

If you are riding areas that are like a sand box now, as well as the natural trails (regardless if they are loose or firm), it's rediculously good, you can really get away with murder at times. I have it paired with a dhr2. My standard tire setup has always been DHF front and rear, or DHF, dhr2.

For a day in day out all around tire, go with the Minion. But if you have a mix of trails you ride and mixed mid summer conditions, give it a try.

July 20, 2015, 2:13 p.m.

So I decided on a DHR II (R denotes rear?)but i can't seem to find a DHF II OR do you just run a DHR II front and rear??

July 20, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

So I decided on a DHR II (R denotes rear?)but i can't seem to find a DHF II OR do you just run a DHR II front and rear??

There is no DHF II. It is still just the DHF. The DHR II designation indicates an updated/improved tread pattern over the old DHR. The DHF has not been significantly (if it all?) changed.

July 20, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

Yeah I figured there was no DHF II, the DHF and DHR are not tubeless ready while the DHR II is SO any reason not to go DHR II front and rear on 819 rims with some stans?

July 21, 2015, 8:53 p.m.

I picked up a Bontrager SE5 after reading favourable reviews of the G5 downhill tire. I had my first ride on it tonight.

Coming off a Magic Mary and Mavic Charge, it was eerie how locked in the front end felt. I have used a DHF and Butcher as well, tires known to corner well, and neither has given me this same feeling. There was zero squirm, high predictability and a general sense of calmness.

If you can get your hands on one, the SE5 is worth a try. I'll reserve judgement until a few more rides in but I think I have a new favourite front tire.

July 22, 2015, 9:20 a.m.

This is a new situation for us, we've got too many good tires to choose from. Long live enduro Racing

Somebody needs to get a stack of tires and sort out what's the best tire in the world right away. Otherwise we may end up just happily riding various excellent tires and being happy.

We need to know what is the best!!!

We've got a bunch of contenders:

Well, I guess -Magic Mary and -DHF are kind of in an elevated category for grip. And if rolling resistance isn't an issue these are the obvious choice.

-Michelin Wild Rock R2, or whatever it's called.
-Bonty SE 4, 5
-WTB Vigilante
-Schwalbes Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf
-Speci Butcher
-Continental Trail King
-Maxxis High Roller 2
-Onza Ibex
-Mavic Roam

A few others I'm sure. The grip/ rolling resistance/ volume of these has all been variously reported to be good. We need science to tell us what to do

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/