Best all rounder front tyre

Nov. 5, 2014, 4:27 p.m.

Has anyone ridden a Chunky Monkey yet?

http://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/tyoocm29x24.htm

Seem to be popular in the UK.

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Mavic added the Quest to their lineup, which sits in between the Charge and Roam. Might turn out to be a really good rear tire, but i haven't seen it in stock yet.

Nov. 7, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

quest 29er lasted 3 rides for me, big puncture. casing is very thin and low volume, rubber is firm, but tread pattern was great for a rear tire, similar characteristics as roam. not great.

Nov. 7, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

Clark, you should make a list of all the tires you've ridden (last 3 years) and your impressions of each one.

:canada:

Nov. 7, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

Clark, you should make a list of all the tires you've ridden (last 3 years) and your impressions of each one.

Lol. Would be like reading War [HTML_REMOVED] Peace…

Nov. 7, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

there aren't that many really. been on the schwalbe/maxxis train like everyone else. tires don't last long in whistler/pemby due to punctures, some of which are from the tire bottoming out on the rim. hoping procore will help mitigate that.

Nov. 9, 2014, 8:28 a.m.

Wait, so do they actually use a completely different casing for the front and back tires of the Mavic-set? That seems kind of silly to me, since you are supposed to pair them up and ride them on the same trails.

Nov. 9, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

anyone here put any time on the WTB Vigilante? seems a probable candidate with some of the others on this list. i'm curious and the price is certainly a bit better…

(Clark- still on your old nancy rims on the 29er. front remains perfect, rear has numerous additional crunches, yet somehow still remains fairly true and keeps holding air tubeless! leaks but i keep it well juiced through the valve. wondering how long it can last…)

Nov. 9, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

anyone here put any time on the WTB Vigilante? seems a probable candidate with some of the others on this list. i'm curious and the price is certainly a bit better…

I just mounted one up. Haven't ridden it yet but the tread looks promising, albeit in hard rubber. Really difficult to mount on a Stan's rim. I noticed on Stan's site they don't recommend using a WTB TCS tire because of how tight they are.

One shitty thing is that even though they are called tubeless, there were a significant amount of tiny holes in the sidewalls. The holes are plugged up now, but it made me chuckle.

Nov. 9, 2014, 5:33 p.m.

anyone here put any time on the WTB Vigilante?

jon, morgan and i put time on them this summer/fall. review is in the works

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 9, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

I ran one in the back today. Seems pretty good as a rear tire. Good braking, but I am riding hardpacked Kamloops dirt so your results should be different. Like I said, the rubber is hard, which is great for our dirt, but on wet roots and rocks I suspect the tire will be sketchy.

Feb. 9, 2015, 10:51 a.m.

For all of you who picked up a Mavic Charge, how are they holding up?

My second-hand bike came with a Magic Mary in front, and the performance in wet and soft conditions is amazing, but I'm noticing that the side knobs are on the verge of tearing off.

Feb. 9, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

The charge on the front of my bike is holding up fantastic.

In comparison, the Conti Trailking on the rear started fraying, the logo wore off, and started leaking.

My rock razor also looks really beat down.

The mavic (michelin) tire looks fresh still. The charge is fantastic IMO.

I have a Michelin Rock'R 2 on order for the rear. Im hoping its a great combo.

For all of you who picked up a Mavic Charge, how are they holding up?

My second-hand bike came with a Magic Mary in front, and the performance in wet and soft conditions is amazing, but I'm noticing that the side knobs are on the verge of tearing off.

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:41 a.m.

The charge on the front of my bike is holding up fantastic.

In comparison, the Conti Trailking on the rear started fraying, the logo wore off, and started leaking.

My rock razor also looks really beat down.

The mavic (michelin) tire looks fresh still. The charge is fantastic IMO.

I have a Michelin Rock'R 2 on order for the rear. Im hoping its a great combo.

Could a reason for the Conti fraying be that it is in the rear? Can you say anything about a Conti up front?

Funny, I do not have the Mavic or the Michelin tires on my radar, given the popularity of Schwalbe over here.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 10, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

True. My rear tires take the bulk of the abuse.

But the rubber compound on the Mavic/Michelin tires just seems more compliant, softer, and more robust. It should be noted these tires are not light weight, but a respectable 1kg each, so that's a factor too.

I just got my Rock'R2, and she too rolls pure and true, and just seems like a nice durable, compliant tire with a good tread design.

I love my conti DH tires, but not a huge fan of the trail tires. I just had my second trailking deform like crazy on me.

The schwalbes have been good, but I had side nob tear issues, and cracking rubber from riding in the cold. They were very gracious with warranty for me tho.

YMMV!