MEATengines 2022...

May 30, 2022, 11:25 p.m.

Any Kiwis on this thread riding Ground Effect clothes?

May 31, 2022, 2:42 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Yup, a couple of things. Lots of socks.

May 31, 2022, 5:09 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

They're still made in Chch aren't they?

May 31, 2022, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

They're still made in Chch aren't they?

Yup. GE for clothes (they stopped making bags). Stealth makes frame bags and bikepacking stuff in Wellington, and Cactus for backpacks and generally indestructible gear also in Chch.

May 31, 2022, 5:55 p.m.

The Stealth hip pack I reviewed was very nicely made and reasonably priced.

May 31, 2022, 10 p.m.

Andrew since you brought up clothing. Reality is once you add a knee brace to the equation riding clothing wise. Well when it comes to shorts and pants well reality is the claim that it fits easily under clothes is utter bullshit. Had a couple pair of shorts got rid of because while they fit no problem without a brace well now they didn't. Shorts wise aside from the old Roach Shorts have as well as a pair of Endura that worked. Basically have to wary of anything as it all doesn't factor in extra items. Though did acquire a pair of US Mil shorts in 2019 but they died. 

Moto pants bought off a used gear shop locally. US military and black ones found at value village and fit around brace. All cut to 3/4 for chillier times of year.

Reminds me....need to check Value Village again.

June 2, 2022, 12:50 a.m.

Oh, Drew-Bob, you're speaking my language.

I'm not a big one for stickers, but it's always very easy to pick my bike out of a line-up. Commuter, Hardtail, Squish... Doesn't matter. If you know me (and are at least slightly observant) you'll be able to guess which is mine, even if you've never seen the particular example before.

June 2, 2022, 7:10 a.m.

My rigs probably also could be described thusly. I just wanted to qualify that I don’t think folks need to spend a bunch of cash on obscure parts or have the experience/time to mix-and-match components.

Sure, there’s a certain factor that the older a well-ridden/well-maintained bike gets the more unique it’s bound to get as well - depending on the owner. But it really comes down to attitude.

Stickers! The cheapest (and highest value) attitude booster you can buy. Hahahahaha.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on June 2, 2022, 7:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2022, 7:31 a.m.

Once I festoon Muhuggers and cargo bags/bottles all over my bikes possibly with a setback dropper and always with an excessively high rise bar I feel like they end up pretty unique if not "pretty". I can appreciate a sleek unencumbered bike under someone else, but I can't avoid the spiral of decisions that leads me down my own particular path. 

I have not had a bike stolen in a long long time so perhaps my choices do have a theft deterrent value. ;-)

June 2, 2022, 10:14 a.m.

I've never really had the urge to make my bikes stand out in any way. They're pretty much just tools to me. I built up some of my own bikes from the frame in the past but I'm just as happy to ride a mass-produced bike in its stock configuration like my current Giant. As long as it works well I don't feel the need to change anything.

However I usually hang on to bikes for many years and over time they get scratched which gives them some uniqueness and some scratches tell a story. I kinda like that. I'll never ride-wrap my bikes.

June 2, 2022, 10:18 a.m.

If your bike is uh too unique it becomes a problem. You can't ride without people wanting to stop and talk to you about it. On my homemade full suspension bike I frequently just put in headphones and need to motor on past stopped groups as I know they'll want to chat (I am usually on a time crunch during my rides).

June 2, 2022, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

However I usually hang on to bikes for many years and over time they get scratched which gives them some uniqueness and some scratches tell a story. I kinda like that. I'll never ride-wrap my bikes.

I love this! Sorry to Ride Wrap and the equivalent but I love all the scars on my bikes.

June 2, 2022, 1:27 p.m.

Reminded today, on Meat Engines:

I am out of SP41. New box on the way.

June 2, 2022, 1:46 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Reminded today, on Meat Engines:

I am out of SP41. New box on the way.

You're welcome! Hahahahah.

June 2, 2022, 5:10 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I've never really had the urge to make my bikes stand out in any way. They're pretty much just tools to me. I built up some of my own bikes from the frame in the past but I'm just as happy to ride a mass-produced bike in its stock configuration like my current Giant. As long as it works well I don't feel the need to change anything.

I don't object to the idea, but as I've only had three stock complete bikes in nearly 30 years of mountain bicycles they all end up resembling me after a tour through the lego box.