Whistler Westside FUNduro, Sep 21

July 18, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

for those who missed the beast, i'm running another unduro this fall. it'll be somewhat more "traditional" with nothing gnarly like gargamel, and not so pedally like the rest of the course was. just classic westside trails that everyone knows and loves, plus a fun surprise. the concept will be to do 5 stages over 4 flank laps, using a different flank access each lap, south to north.

the course will be semi-blind, meaning it'll be announced just a day or two before the event.

3 questions:
does a semi-blind course make anyone NOT want to do it?
any interest in a night stage prologue the night before the race? it would be pretty mellow and pedally.
do you want to race saturday, or have a "practice" day saturday and race sunday?

July 18, 2013, 10:20 a.m.

semi-blind = awesome
personally could do without night stage
kinda like the race saturday, but course announce friday night, saturday 'practice' might be good…but maybe just forgo practice all together if there's nothing crazy

also, glad you liked the Funduro name too! :)

July 18, 2013, 10:29 a.m.

Excellent! Really looking forward to this one.

Racing Saturday is always nice, so that we can cut loose a little afterwards without having to worry about getting up the next morning. Also means you can ride two days on the weekend, without having a nagging feeling that you should be taking it easy for the race the next day.

Semi-blind, with a few clues is kind of fun. Makes the chatter and speculation pre-race a lot more interesting - whereas, if everyone knows the course it's just hot lap after hot lap. That may be better for the competitive edge, but it's less good for the fun part.

Night stage is kind of a pain for people not living in Whistler - means either an extra trip up from the city, or an extra nights accommodation to find. Fine on something like the Kings [HTML_REMOVED] Jacks that are already a multi-day event, but a bit more hassle on an otherwise single day event.

July 18, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

short notice on course also means less wear and tear on the trails, hopefully!

July 18, 2013, 10:44 a.m.

for those who missed the beast, i'm running another unduro this fall. it'll be somewhat more "traditional" with nothing gnarly like gargamel, and not so pedally like the rest of the course was. just classic westside trails that everyone knows and loves, plus a fun surprise. the concept will be to do 5 stages over 4 flank laps, using a different flank access each lap, south to north.

the course will be semi-blind, meaning it'll be announced just a day or two before the event.

3 questions:
does a semi-blind course make anyone NOT want to do it?
any interest in a night stage prologue the night before the race? it would be pretty mellow and pedally.
do you want to race saturday, or have a "practice" day saturday and race sunday?

I'd look at making the trip up from Van for this, but the semi-blind format favours those who live up in Whistler and can hop out and scope the course on short notice once announced. Having a weekend day to practice would be nice. Or make the race fully blind, announced at check-in.

Of course, I understand that this race is intended for those in Whistler, but that's my perspective as someone from the city who would potentially make the trip up.

July 18, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

I'd be totally fine with day of course announcement….it would be nice to not have the event take up multiple days

July 18, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

Go blind. Announce Friday, race Saturday. Party Saturday night.

Being that it's Westside we should be able to almost guess what main trails will be used. They have a pretty similar style and flow, so just going up to ride some Westside in the weeks leading up should take care of the "pre-ride".

I really liked the night lap in Lost Lake for the Kings, but it turns it into a whole weekend event rather than day trip.

July 18, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

Perhaps a non-timed fun stage, or time bonus stage, for the Friday night mixer where the course is announced for the next day "race" on Saturday.

Sounds like a time, except for climbing the flank 4x, that hurts a bit.

July 18, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

Someone explain what Westside trails are to me? I like the idea of blind as well. Now do I roll up solo and stay for a few extra days or just do a day trip

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 18, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

also, glad you liked the Funduro name too! :)

Flankworx still the best name.

July 18, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Someone explain what Westside trails are to me? I like the idea of blind as well. Now do I roll up solo and stay for a few extra days or just do a day trip

Westside = the goods that you've been missing out on.

Go do some general riding on the Flank trails during August/early Sept and you'll be fine.

Go up Saturday morning, but plan to stay Saturday night as the afterparty is always a good time.

July 18, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

So the likes of Cheap Thrills, ID, Danimal? Never ridden that area aside from River and Mels

Plan will be to stay at least one extra night, make it into another mini shred vacation, go up to Pemberton this time maybe venture further inland as well

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 18, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

good, that's how i was leaning.
so we'll skip the night stage and race on saturday.
maybe i won't even say what the course is, just tell you to start and follow the arrows?

July 18, 2013, 11:27 p.m.

maybe i won't even say what the course is, just tell you to start and follow the arrows?

Map is nice also. Release a map on Friday night just late enough that people can't go ride, unless they want to go night ride it.

July 18, 2013, 11:36 p.m.

YES!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman