Whistler Westside FUNduro, Sep 21

Aug. 21, 2013, 9:45 a.m.

Walking is slower than crawling along in granny gear. Keep the transition times tight enough that walking isn't going to cut it. Just don't make them so short that it's an xc race.

We can use the timing system to monitor the transitions. Go over the allotted time and receive an XX second time penalty.

Also if you go with an 80/20 mix of dh/climbing in the stages that will keep it form getting too DH.

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

Also if you go with an 80/20 mix of dh/climbing in the stages that will keep it form getting too DH.

Yeah, have a stage that has a mix of tech and non-tech climbing in it with a net elevation gain. Even if you run the course blind, you could announce this to people, and they wouldn't be keen on bringing the plow bike.

Aug. 21, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

Umm don't they all ready have enduros with more climbing in them? I think they call them super d's and how popular are they at the moment? They also have multiple lap races with climbing In them and they call them XC.

I think with the popularity of enduros the format is pretty spot on. Shit they even have me interested and with that I've been trying to improve my climbing. Up more importance on the climbing an I will likely just forget it.

Aug. 21, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

Umm don't they all ready have enduros with more climbing in them? I think they call them super d's and how popular are they at the moment? They also have multiple lap races with climbing In them and they call them XC.

I think with the popularity of enduros the format is pretty spot on. Shit they even have me interested and with that I've been trying to improve my climbing. Up more importance on the climbing an I will likely just forget it.

It's still going to be a long way from Super-D or XC. Could really just be splitting hairs or over thinking it.

The idea is to discourage people from getting to the base of the climb on a transition stage and just getting off and walking, usually it's not because of ability it's because the rider has decided to run a DH drivetrain and DH wheels/tires on their trail bike for full downhill smashing. Riders shouldn't be planning to walk the up, they should be planning to ride but if have to walk due to being tired that should be acceptable.

Make a bit more sense? Nobody wants it to be XC.

Aug. 21, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

Umm don't they all ready have enduros with more climbing in them? I think they call them super d's and how popular are they at the moment?

Very popular still. Oregon? Washington? FVMBA Sumas Enduro (Stage 2 20+minute descent that is won or lost climbing Emma Peel 2/3 of the way in). Huge turnouts.

I bet the West Coast Super D would have doubled thier entries this year, instead of halving them by puting on a SFU XC race.

RE: FUNduro: I think having at least one stage with a decent amount of climbing would be good in a blind format, especially to balance out the local advantage (somewhat).

Aug. 21, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

I really like the FVMBA format as they have a multiple race series that can please pretty much everyone and obviously to win the series one needs to be a well rounded racer.

As to the popularity of super d, I guess my statement can be a little over the top, but having said that…did crankworx have a super d? While they did last year I dot think they did this year. I even think some of the US races have gone from super d to enduro format.

In posting in this thread, I forgot this is actually a one race type of deal and the organizers can do as I they see fit….well any race organizer can.

Aug. 21, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

It's still going to be a long way from Super-D or XC. Could really just be splitting hairs or over thinking it.

The idea is to discourage people from getting to the base of the climb on a transition stage and just getting off and walking, usually it's not because of ability it's because the rider has decided to run a DH drivetrain and DH wheels/tires on their trail bike for full downhill smashing. Riders shouldn't be planning to walk the up, they should be planning to ride but if have to walk due to being tired that should be acceptable.

correct! people should just ride their trail bikes that they'd normally pedal around with, that's all. if you still think 1x10 is cool with a big ring up front then you're gonna suffer. maybe we should partner with raceface to sell a bunch of 30T wide/narrow rings for the funduro!

the fitness element comes into play with both the amount of overall transition climbing, as well as the bit of tech climbing within the stages (some may have a fair bit, like on "high society" for example), others have little (like "pura vida"). i don't want to penalize anyone for not climbing though. if you can't do it, you loose nothing, no big deal. i think a lot of people will get the first 2 bonuses, and fewer will get the last 2.

i'd like the honor system to rule here for the most part. we can see your transition times with our timing system, so if your transitions are super long yet you claim the bonus then we'll have a problem. just be a good human and it will work fine.

Aug. 21, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

yeah, in retrospect, it all works out will good course selection…which is basically the key…sure the downhillers get all whiny if there's a bit of climbing here and there, and the xc'ers whine if there isn't enough, so basically if both of those groups are whiny, you've probably got a good course! :)

Aug. 21, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

downhillers get all whiny if there's a bit of climbing here and there, and the xc'ers whine if there isn't enough, so basically if both of those groups are whiny, you've probably got a good course! :)

Boom. I love it.

Aug. 21, 2013, 4:28 p.m.

I agree with this.

I can crawl along just as slowly in granny gear as I can walk. Not sure my transition times would reflect a difference - so not sure this would be a valid assessment for me (and for the record, I did pedal most of the south and alpine flanks at crankworx, but chose to walk a few times; and yeah, I was on the podium too).

Clark - just curious - how interested are you in encouraging women to participate in this event? (Yes, I think the women's only events like Bond this weekend are awesome; I'll be there, looking forward to it!). I think it would be a shame if others (like Sparkplug) who are interested in trying out some enduros are discouraged by this format. There were only two women at the Beast, correct? (I would have liked to, but I was coaching that weekend).

Aug. 21, 2013, 7:38 p.m.

Same points for climb and descent stage positions. The only way to find the best real all-round rider.

Or just carry on with the 80/20 ratio and timed stages. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 21, 2013, 9:02 p.m.

really hoping to participate in this event! I like the idea of a blind format, I guess I don't see it as too big of a "local" advantage, I would assume that most people who want to participate would ride the whistler trails on a somewhat semi regular basis? and have some idea of what to expect.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Aug. 22, 2013, 12:02 a.m.

…how interested are you in encouraging women to participate in this event? (Yes, I think the women's only events like Bond this weekend are awesome; I'll be there, looking forward to it!). I think it would be a shame if others (like Sparkplug) who are interested in trying out some enduros are discouraged by this format. There were only two women at the Beast, correct? (I would have liked to, but I was coaching that weekend).

gender is irrelevant. it will be fun for anyone who likes ripping flank laps, including a lot of ladies i know. a modicum of skill is required if you don't know the trails that well, and good fitness will help, but there's nothing crazy in the course. our trails are physical and the climbing is tough.

trails that will not be included: pura vida (it needs a break), diary of a madman (gnarly and overgrown!), jaws (gnarly, except during perfect conditions like RIGHT NOW!), green monster (dangerous to race), rockwork orange (at builder's request). everything else is fair game.

the beast was gnarly and never intended for mass consumption, the women weren't the only ones scared.

what is discouraging about this format? if you have the fitness to endure 4 flank climbs and the skills and trail knowledge to enjoy the variety of flank descents then you're golden.

Aug. 22, 2013, 5:22 a.m.

^so i won't die never having ridden any of the trails? is there a north shore approximation of what a 'flank' climb is like (i have no idea where this area is geographically). sounds like a fun way to check out some trail that i've (sadly) never sampled.

Aug. 22, 2013, 8:01 a.m.

gender is irrelevant. it will be fun for anyone who likes ripping flank laps, including a lot of ladies i know. a modicum of skill is required if you don't know the trails that well, and good fitness will help, but there's nothing crazy in the course. our trails are physical and the climbing is tough.

trails that will not be included: pura vida (it needs a break), diary of a madman (gnarly and overgrown!), jaws (gnarly, except during perfect conditions like RIGHT NOW!), green monster (dangerous to race), rockwork orange (at builder's request). everything else is fair game.

the beast was gnarly and never intended for mass consumption, the women weren't the only ones scared.

what is discouraging about this format? if you have the fitness to endure 4 flank climbs and the skills and trail knowledge to enjoy the variety of flank descents then you're golden.

I plan to be there :)