Whistler Westside FUNduro, Sep 21

July 19, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

If you want to cater to a local advantage (which is inevitable regardless) then a full blind course is fine. You probably won't have trouble selling out the event in which case it doesn't matter. But, from the perspective of a competitive racer who is not familiar with the (unannounced) trails in question, I am less likely to register for a race on trails that it's guaranteed other racers have some experience with. Whistler doesn't have a problem with engagement, but on the Shore I think this would be a bad call – and part of why Brian decided to announce the 6th Toonie course in advance, to a record number of participants. Just my opinion / your mileage may vary.

flickr

July 19, 2013, 6:54 p.m.

that's exactly my hesitation with running it blind. but there are enough people that know the trails well including many who don't live in whistler) that we'll get a decent turn-out.

every race has local advantage, i don't see much difference. this way the trails don't get slaughtered, and it keeps the atmosphere mellow.

July 19, 2013, 7:05 p.m.

and besides, Morg, you're a good enough rider that you should be fine regardless, there's nothing do or die on any of the trails that will likely be used….and not only that, but it's gonna be fun no matter what

July 19, 2013, 8:04 p.m.

and besides, Morg, you're a good enough rider that you should be fine regardless, there's nothing do or die on any of the trails that will likely be used….and not only that, but it's gonna be fun no matter what

This.

And also, if anyone wants a taste of Westside trails racing. You could come up the previous weekend for the 20th annual Westside Wheelup!

TEAM CRAFTY

July 19, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

Ill most likely be doing it blind and I look forward to it as well.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 19, 2013, 11:43 p.m.

night stage sounds rad but a one day shot seems to work better for most, it sounds fun regardless

July 26, 2013, 9:25 a.m.

i was really hoping you'd pull out something like this clark!
blind/trails announced the night before sounds good
looks like i'm in the minority who would be stoked on a friday night-stage prologue
psyched!

:crybaby:

maybe there could be a second/pitty podium for out of town type-a riders who can't stomach the idea of potentially not placing at a race ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 26, 2013, 9:56 a.m.

When I look at the results for these Whistler races I look at the out of town riders and mentally place myself against them. I know the locals ride these trails weekly so they know every line.

Boom has now given it a name, we'll call it the Pitty Podium. :)

Blind for all is the best way. Local is still going to have rode it at some point in the last couple months and will have rode it multiple times over the last few years and have an advantage.

Aug. 3, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

Will there be pre-registration or a cap on entries?
Be a lil miffed to come up for this for the weekend only to find it full

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

There will be pre-registration and there's room for 200 so you'll be solid

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:42 a.m.

maybe there could be a second/pitty podium for out of town type-a riders who can't stomach the idea of potentially not placing at a race ;)

Love it. But it's got to be spelled with only one "t".

flickr

Aug. 14, 2013, 6:52 p.m.

Love it. But it's got to be spelled with only one "t".

Pedant (;))

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 17, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

alright folks, this is going down sep 21. here's the blurb coming out in the next newsletter. registration will be live next week…

WORCA presents a friendly follow-up to "The Beast", a fun challenging single-day self-supported gravity-fed stage race on the westside trails. You'll ride 5 stages on westside trails off the flank using a different access climb each lap, starting in function and finishing in alpine. Pura Vida will get a well-deserved rest, but everything else (aside from Jaws) is fair game. The trails could be new, classic, or even a bit obscure. You'll climb 4 times up to the flank: south flank, stonebridge flank, 27 switchbacks, and alpine flank (aka rick's roost). Cleaning each climb will earn you a 1 minute bonus on each lap, so familiarize yourself with the climbs and choose your gearing accordingly. You'll be running blind on this one - stage 1 will be announced at the start line, and each subsequent stage will be revealed at the finish of the stage before. The blind concept keeps it mysterious and interesting while minimizing trail impact. Remember the term "all mountain" from 2011, or "mountain biking" from 2005? Fit downhiller? XC ninja? Our "unduro" concept involves basic enduro style (highly technical courses that finish lower than they start), but with a bit more technical pedalling during stages than you might see in "classic" enduro. This fits naturally with the style of our trails, and rewards a well-rounded skillset.

Aug. 19, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

alright folks, this is going down sep 21. here's the blurb coming out in the next newsletter. registration will be live next week…

WORCA presents a friendly follow-up to "The Beast", a fun challenging single-day self-supported gravity-fed stage race on the westside trails. You'll ride 5 stages on westside trails off the flank using a different access climb each lap, starting in function and finishing in alpine. Pura Vida will get a well-deserved rest, but everything else (aside from Jaws) is fair game. The trails could be new, classic, or even a bit obscure. You'll climb 4 times up to the flank: south flank, stonebridge flank, 27 switchbacks, and alpine flank (aka rick's roost). Cleaning each climb will earn you a 1 minute bonus on each lap, so familiarize yourself with the climbs and choose your gearing accordingly. You'll be running blind on this one - stage 1 will be announced at the start line, and each subsequent stage will be revealed at the finish of the stage before. The blind concept keeps it mysterious and interesting while minimizing trail impact. Remember the term "all mountain" from 2011, or "mountain biking" from 2005? Fit downhiller? XC ninja? Our "unduro" concept involves basic enduro style (highly technical courses that finish lower than they start), but with a bit more technical pedalling during stages than you might see in "classic" enduro. This fits naturally with the style of our trails, and rewards a well-rounded skillset.

Summon the rain, send racers down Bush Doctor, sit back and watch the carnage :D

Aug. 21, 2013, 9:35 a.m.

to continue our discussion of the merits of a transition climbing bonus. i've had mixed feedback on this idea:

the idea is you do not incur a penalty for walking the transitions, just a bonus if you do pedal. if you bring a bike that you can't climb with, you'll not do very well on the timed parts anyway, since there's a bunch of pedalling on the way down most of our valley trails.

i'm bothered by the walking too, how else can i at least encourage people to try? i don't see how that makes it an xc race, far from it. not interested in just stringing a bunch of dh tracks together, that is not an assessment of a balanced skillset.

and it would pretty much be an honor system with marshalling at the crux parts. i'd like to assume we're honest enough for that, its just a grassroots race, no money involved to ruin the fun.

should we use tony's points system instead of just total time? its a more fair system that balances things out a bit better, and gives a direct comparison of riders.

alternatively we could invent a new name for what tony did with the jacks/queens/kings and run stage events like that - first stage is an xc time trial, 2nd is a gnarly pure dh run, 3rd is a nasty tech climb, 4th is enduro-ish, etc. without the epic gnarly pedally day is it a bit too contrived and simple? part of me thinks it could be fun.