Whistler Westside FUNduro, Sep 21

Aug. 22, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

^so i won't die never having ridden any of the trails? is there a north shore approximation of what a 'flank' climb is like (i have no idea where this area is geographically). sounds like a fun way to check out some trail that i've (sadly) never sampled.

Flank climbs are steep and often techy, sort of like Old Buck with some Salamander/Sticks and stones thrown in. Honestly though, nothing on the shore really compares properly to Whistler riding, there is so much variety out there.

Aug. 22, 2013, 1:24 p.m.

^so i won't die never having ridden any of the trails? is there a north shore approximation of what a 'flank' climb is like (i have no idea where this area is geographically). sounds like a fun way to check out some trail that i've (sadly) never sampled.

Flank climbs are steep and often techy, sort of like Old Buck with some Salamander/Sticks and stones thrown in. Honestly though, nothing on the shore really compares properly to Whistler riding, there is so much variety out there.

what biggles said, though i'd add: i trust clark to create a fun, challenging but not dangerous course - hoping he got that out of his system with the beast. but the untimed climbs up to the timed sections are in many cases steeper for longer than what we have on the shore. everyone i've taken riding on the west side has been challenged by the climb up the flank. but the descents are worth it, they're just awesome - if you feel like you're up for grunting up 4 grueling climbs and will have enough in the tank to rip and/or enjoy the downs, go for it. i have no illusions of placing well, but am looking forward to this race for the same reason it entices you

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 22, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

South flank climb will be short (hint!).
Most of stonebridge climb is paved and low angle.
27 switchbacks and alpine are gonna hurt, but you'll be well rewarded.
Stages are all black with some double-black features but nothing scary or dangerous, safe enough to ride (not race) fully blind. Honestly, blind racers will likely enjoy this the most.
Hard to compare north van and whistler, both have weird trails overall, yet so very good!

Aug. 22, 2013, 2:20 p.m.

It's all going to be about the Upduro next year anyway. Start starving yourself now and build the ultimate 14lbs climbing bike.

Aug. 22, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

a day of chilled out descents where you session interesting features and shoot the shit, punctuated by red-lining up fsr switchbacks and trialsy tech climbs… i can see it

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 22, 2013, 3:20 p.m.

Does the WORCA site support registration via iPhone safari?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 23, 2013, 4:51 p.m.

My Guess

Industrial Disease
Cheap Thrills, High Society or Upper Bush Doctor
Old Binty's if there is still a line there to Billy Epic
Howler

Unfortunately I'll be missing the event as I'm on a canoe trip.

Aug. 23, 2013, 4:56 p.m.

Upper Bush Doctor

actually called 'legalize it'

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

Tried signing up at 8 this morning. Realized Im no good with reading directions

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:32 p.m.

Thanks Clark for organizing this.
I am stoked and looking forward to the 27 switchback beatdown. :)

So………………..

What tires are you all running?

2.1" Small Block 8's?

Aug. 24, 2013, 6:42 a.m.

I just signed up. I look forward to it.

Aug. 24, 2013, 9:45 a.m.

I'm in and I am exite. Thanks Clark!

Hopefully Seb will start running official course tours in a couple days.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 24, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

I think I'm gunna do this, probably on a hardtail. Not expecting to beat anyone lol

Aug. 24, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

What time is this starting at? I guess I need to be on the 620 boat regardless.

Aug. 24, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

old buck on a small amount of 'roids is a good description of the flank climbs…. 4 flank climbs sounds a bit more of a grind than cworx….