"The $elling of Alberta"

March 21, 2012, 1:06 p.m.

on CBC, right now…………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 21, 2012, 1:10 p.m.

I bet that's not biased at all…

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

March 21, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

saw this graphic yesterday, seems like a good place for it….
http://parklandinstitute.ca/research/summary/misplaced_generosity_update_2012/

March 21, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

Can't remember which thread it was where one of our resident oil industry apologists were ticking off the names of Albertan Premiers supportive of tar sands……they shoulda' seen the clip of Peter Lougheed decrying the pace of development and mis-allocation of wealth.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 21, 2012, 3:20 p.m.

Can't remember which thread it was where one of our resident oil industry apologists were ticking off the names of Albertan Premiers supportive of tar sands……they shoulda' seen the clip of Peter Lougheed decrying the pace of development and mis-allocation of wealth.

Why is it that if someone doesn't wholly agree with you,they are labelled an apologist?

Cut and paste me a youtube clip for an answer if you like.

Pastor of Muppets

March 21, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

saw this graphic yesterday, seems like a good place for it….
http://parklandinstitute.ca/research/summary/misplaced_generosity_update_2012/

I fail to see the problem. This isn't Soviet Russia. Companies are allowed to make a profit. If you don't like it, become part of the company.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

March 21, 2012, 3:35 p.m.

Why is it that if someone doesn't wholly agree with you,they are labelled an apologist?

Or at least include some smiley over use, or an article from a left-leaning rarely researched online only magazine.

I fail to see the problem. This isn't Soviet Russia. Companies are allowed to make a profit. If you don't like it, become part of the company.

That would involve more than complaining.

March 21, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

How come the companies profits can go way high but if a normal employee thinks he should be paid more for the same job everyone calls him entitled unoworthy etc etc..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 21, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

Does anyone here label themselves as fiscal conservatives?

March 21, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

too bad it's our countries resource, and not the companies.

March 21, 2012, 3:43 p.m.

There you go…….:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFx-hvoGN90

March 21, 2012, 3:57 p.m.

from 2010….you don't think it's a problem?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2010/11/25/calgary-alberta-oil-gas-royalty-report.html

Albertans are losing billions of dollars because of overly generous royalty cuts to the oil and gas industry, a research institute says.

Regan Boychuk of the Parkland Institute, a think tank based at the University of Alberta, studied the industry's profits for the past 10 years.

In a reported titled Misplaced Generosity, Boychuk says the percentage of profits claimed by the provincial government has steadily declined.

"Just the last year we looked at it — in 2008 — if the government had met its own targets, that would have meant an additional $14 billion in royalties," Boychuk told CBC News.

"That far exceeds any deficit that the province has experienced in the course of a very serious recession."

Boychuk, public policy research manager with the Parkland Institute, estimated that the government has lost $69 billion in potential revenue by not meeting royalty targets since 1999.

…edit…and this is a really lame 5000th post……

March 21, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

from 2010….you don't think it's a problem?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2010/11/25/calgary-alberta-oil-gas-royalty-report.html

…edit…and this is a really lame 5000th post……

Never mind that the increase in royalty structure was the cause of a lot of 2008's slowdown in Alberta. Liquids rich natural gas and light crude don't need a hot market to be profitable… there's more to Alberta than bitumen. I don't expect anybody here to support this thought, though. Hippies.

March 21, 2012, 4:18 p.m.

I'd argue that the vocal majority aren't hippies, rather they are more like true fiscal conservatives.

March 21, 2012, 4:48 p.m.

is that the 1 hr special where they compare albetra giving it away like the town tramp to the Norwegian company stat oil ?