snow tires (Merged Thread)

Dec. 18, 2016, 9:54 p.m.

What's the consensus on 'All Weather' tires as mentioned above? I didn't know such a thing existed until the other day. I've just not been using my car in shitty conditions as I've not fancied buying tires for three months only to take them off again…. Tires for my old Civic are not stupid money so maybe I'll take the plunge on a set. My Toyo M/S tires are a bit sketchy on wet tarmac so God know what they'd be like in proper crappy conditions.

I have four season snowflake hankooks. They're ok. I run them all year. They're definitely not as grippy as a dedicated winter tire but their fuel economy isn't shyte and when you live in Vancouver and your car only sees snow on the weekends they're adequate. I just take my time and drive safe. They've been great around the city this past two weeks. Still not as good as real winter tires though.

Dec. 18, 2016, 10:07 p.m.

What's the rating system anyway. Is three peak mountain the most winter tire-est or is some other obscure measurement used?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

These have been awesome! Even in summer…………

since moving to east MR years back I switched to icetires and 90% of the time I run them full time , hell just had mine rotated a month back and my buddy said these look new , and I said been on there since you mounted the last fall . mine are the Ipikes rw11 and I have 3 winters on them and they are great . I also air them down when the weather is snowie or lots of ice

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

These have been amazing, surprisingly good on ice. Unlike typical mud [HTML_REMOVED] snow tires, the rubber does not get hard when the temps dip into -20c.

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

The Michelin LTX M/S tires I have on my truck are amazing in the snow. Just sayin'.

Cars with snow tires and chains can't make it up the hill, and I'm able to climb it easily with the M/S 2 version of the tire. Very good all around tire, and wears really well too.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Apparently DTs can be studded.

DTs or Nitto ExoGrapplers can both be.

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

So having fun with this especially with our 18 inch rims does anyone run a smaller rim size for their winter tires, seems like it would open the door for a wider range of tires

I think the question is will smaller rims fit over the brakes/wheels of your car?

rims and studded 10ply haks were [HTML_REMOVED]1700$ for the ranger but no problems keeping it between the ditches so far

Vangroovy is probably the worst place in BC to have shitty tires

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:36 a.m.

What's the rating system anyway. Is three peak mountain the most winter tire-est or is some other obscure measurement used?

my ice tires have M+S and the 3 peak mountain with a snow flake in the middle

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 19, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

I think the question is will smaller rims fit over the brakes/wheels of your car?

rims and studded 10ply haks were [HTML_REMOVED]1700$ for the ranger but no problems keeping it between the ditches so far

Vangroovy is probably the worst place in BC to have shitty tires

Yeah you have to make sure that smaller rims will clear your discs/calipers. Most cars come with different wheel size options standard, so you can usually find something in a smaller diameter that will fit.

Dec. 19, 2016, 12:39 p.m.

my ice tires have M+S and the 3 peak mountain with a snow flake in the middle

That's the "snow flake" symbol.

Carry cables or chains. They make quite a difference.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 19, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

Or just get chains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZYqwlgUUE

Dec. 20, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

Great PSA Punky. I realized, I think I know how to put on my chains, but watching an instructional video would really cement my knowledge and could even save my life some day.

Dec. 20, 2016, 12:32 p.m.

I seen a good internet hack for putting on chains, Instead of driving over laid out chains and then having to drive back [HTML_REMOVED] forth to get them on/tight you take a short length of 12"x 6" plywood, screw more pieces on top leaving a slot in the plywood that will fit the cross links of your chain.

to use them you lay out the chains on the plywood with the cross links in the slot, drive on top of the plywood. The tire is on top of the plywood and the chains are completely free in the slot you made so you can do up the chains on the tire

Dec. 20, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

I seen a good internet hack for putting on chains, Instead of driving over laid out chains and then having to drive back [HTML_REMOVED] forth to get them on/tight you take a short length of 12"x 6" plywood, screw more pieces on top leaving a slot in the plywood that will fit the cross links of your chain.

to use them you lay out the chains on the plywood with the cross links in the slot, drive on top of the plywood. The tire is on top of the plywood and the chains are completely free in the slot you made so you can do up the chains on the tire

Should I be wearing a bikini or no?

Dec. 20, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

and the fishing lure in your belly button!