snow tires (Merged Thread)

Jan. 16, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

if anybody is looking for some snowies i'm helping out a biddy with his ad.

Size is 205/65/15 and the wheels are 5x114 bolt pattern, price is good and is the same with or without wheels

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/137430-15-quot-snow-tires-on-Nissan-wheels

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 16, 2012, 12:08 p.m.

I'm also selling a set of (rimless) 205/70 R15 snowies that are practically new. PM if interested.

Nov. 25, 2016, 8:59 a.m.

Hello, any recommended tires for SUV, we are going to get a set mounted on rims instead of replacing with all condition or what ever they are called. Would be for use getting to and from the ski and also for backcountry access so some gravel roads etc. It is for a 2016 pathfinder.

Thinking Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 or similar, we had good experience with Hankook I-pike on our older car especially in the first couple of years. They still have sufficient tread but performance has declined significantly.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 25, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

Go Nokian and you won't go back.

Nov. 25, 2016, 1:12 p.m.

For our SUV, I got the Blizzak DM-V2 and they have rocked. AWD plus these tires, scary solid on the roads. Been caught on the Coq and OK connector in near blizzard conditions, could barely see the road in front of the headlights and traction was great. I've driven up to Elfin parking in deep snow and the road to Big White in heavy snowfall - still solid.

For a really good comparison chart with real world tests;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W[HTML_REMOVED]VT=LT

Edit: the Tire Rack ratings chart only includes brands that they sell, so some key tires are missing, most notably anything Nokian.

Note that for here, you want to really be looking for something with great wet traction/low hydroplaning as well as ice/snow ratings.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 25, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

I had the same experience with the iPike, but for the money it was worth it. Low noise too.

Do you need really good deep snow traction, or really good ice grip?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 25, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

I use the Nokian Hakka R2 on the car, but haven't had enough snow to really test them out. The Hakka has an R2 and an R2 SUV version, so there could be a performance difference between the two. I have to say that the Hakka R2 on the car has been a little disappointing in wet conditions.

The iPikes are technically a passenger car tire, so may not be up to the load rating requirements of an SUV unless its a smaller lighter one.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 25, 2016, 2:36 p.m.

Just ordered firestone winterforce for my taco . . . Will be getting them studded .

Nov. 25, 2016, 4:46 p.m.

I had the same experience with the iPike, but for the money it was worth it. Lots noise too.

Do you need really good deep snow traction, or really good ice grip?

Probably more on the deep snow traction side of things (thinking parking on coquihalla summit / manning) but will also need to take on the last corner the road to diamond head / up to skyline divide on Baker (Mitsu and Ipike came unstuck whilst the Subaru's made it.)

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 25, 2016, 6:12 p.m.

The iPike is a good Vancouver snow tire; it has good winter grip for our limited ice and snow conditions, as well as decent wear and low noise. Good grip in the rain too.

Michelin has very good snow tires, and Nokian probably had the best, but they are also expensive. Good rubber.

Cooper makes a good snow tire for deep snow.

You should PM three sheets. He spends a lot of time driving in all kinds of snow conditions.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 25, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

Go Nokian and you won't go back.

Personally, I would say that for Michelin. Looking at the X-ice for the wife's Impala. I guess I should price out the Nokian as well.

Thread killer

Nov. 26, 2016, 12:11 a.m.

These have been awesome! Even in summer…………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 26, 2016, 12:37 a.m.

Personally, I would say that for Michelin. Looking at the X-ice for the wife's Impala. I guess I should price out the Nokian as well.

You can add Pirelli to that list if theres one that fits the car, which there should be. Granted my experience with Pirelli was their performance winter Sottozero 240 Series 2 and it surprised me. A lot.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:16 a.m.

These have been awesome! Even in summer…………

I bought a set of these for my SUV this year, so far have taken them through some variable conditions (ice, compact snow, slush, fresh snow) driving at higher elevations and they do the job just fine. The price was very right although I have the feeling they'll wear faster than other winters I've used in the past (blizzak, arctic claw etc).

Personally I'm of the opinion that proper driving techniques along with just about any real winter tire will keep the roads safe over the winter.

Nov. 28, 2016, 7:29 a.m.

Ive been using Nokian Rotiva LT tires e rated . Fantastic all weather snow rated tires. My wife always has nokian wrG2 's. Best tires I have tried in winter…