snow tires (Merged Thread)

Dec. 20, 2016, 9:43 p.m.

I seen a good internet hack for putting on chains, Instead of driving over laid out chains and then having to drive back [HTML_REMOVED] forth to get them on/tight you take a short length of 12"x 6" plywood, screw more pieces on top leaving a slot in the plywood that will fit the cross links of your chain.

to use them you lay out the chains on the plywood with the cross links in the slot, drive on top of the plywood. The tire is on top of the plywood and the chains are completely free in the slot you made so you can do up the chains on the tire

Never go full retard.

Watch the SCC chain installation videos on youtubes.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 21, 2016, 8:06 p.m.

Twenty fuckin years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-PxqGDkWY

Dec. 21, 2016, 11:09 p.m.

Man, that was a good time! I got stuck at my folks house in Metchosen for the first night while my crew was building snowboard jumps, and generally rampaging around Uplands and Gordon Head.

I made sure to be stuck in town for the next couple of nights :) Thanks for the vid Madman, good memories. I hope it happens again someday soon.

Dec. 22, 2016, 2:34 a.m.

Didn't Victoria have only two snow plows at the time?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2016, 8:59 a.m.

Yep. I watched one of em slide off the road, disabling itself for a few hours as well. We're a little bit better prepared now, but something like that happening again would shut us down for sure.

It was awesome. Total shutdown. We had customers and staff basically living at our pool hall.

Dec. 27, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

Looks like I've found a new home for the Legacy, so I'm going to buy a set of 195/65/15 winters for our (currently hibernating) Golf this week. Seems there are quite a few options in the $100 per tire range which makes me unlikely to be looking at the $150 options…

flickr

Dec. 27, 2016, 2:52 p.m.

I too had some of those General Altimax for my WRX. Definetly a bit soft for "enthusiastic" driving, but great value and grip in winter/snow.

I have always had extra wheels with snows mounted for every car, y'all be fools if you don't.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 27, 2016, 4:29 p.m.

I have always had extra wheels with snows mounted for every car, y'all be fools if you don't.

Yup you pay for the extra wheels within [HTML_REMOVED]3 years with the money you save on tire swaps and when you sell the car you can sell or trade the extra wheels [HTML_REMOVED] snow tires seperate from the car to finance the tires for your next car and if you bought Nokians from Kal tire they will swap the tires free of charge

Dec. 27, 2016, 4:55 p.m.

the apa always has good info on tires

http://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp

we'll be heading back to the east koots, and making frequent trips over to alberta, so ice is a factor for sure. ordered some studded toyo observe which should make the roads around the crowsnest less sketchy as hell

Dec. 29, 2016, 12:57 a.m.

Looks like I've found a new home for the Legacy, so I'm going to buy a set of 195/65/15 winters for our (currently hibernating) Golf this week. Seems there are quite a few options in the $100 per tire range which makes me unlikely to be looking at the $150 options…

The $200 extra you spend will be worth it, depending on the brand you choose. These are probably the one thing I'd recommend to any/everyone not to skimp on. FWIW though, I found a set of Nokian Hakkapelita's in your exact size on CL for $550, on rims no less a few years ago.

I just went to back performance winters and couldnt be happier over the previous budget tire choice despite the hit to the wallet with running 18's @ 38psi.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 29, 2016, 1 a.m.

For those driving automatic's, dont forget about d1 [HTML_REMOVED] d2 in the snow.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 29, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

or just put it in neutral while braking so the wheels arent trying to drive at the same time especialy when the engine is cold, it used to be more of a problem when most cars were rwd

again saving money on snow tires is false economy cuz there are lives at steak so you want the best rubber you can get

would you buy discount condoms?

Dec. 29, 2016, 8:50 a.m.

The $200 extra you spend will be worth it, depending on the brand you choose. These are probably the one thing I'd recommend to any/everyone not to skimp on. FWIW though, I found a set of Nokian Hakkapelita's in your exact size on CL for $550, on rims no less a few years ago.

I just went to back performance winters and couldnt be happier over the previous budget tire choice despite the hit to the wallet with running 18's @ 38psi.

Yeah, very good point. The APA link above is quite informative actually. A couple hundred bucks is no big deal, I really would prefer a tire that gives excellent winter performance and drives well on the inevitable dry roads as well..

Hakka R2 and Blizzak WS80 top rated… are the Blizzaks still fast wearing? Hakka 8 with studs… overkill for the south coast?

flickr

Dec. 29, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

or just put it in neutral while braking so the wheels arent trying to drive at the same time especialy when the engine is cold, it used to be more of a problem when most cars were rwd

again saving money on snow tires is false economy cuz there are lives at steak so you want the best rubber you can get

would you buy discount condoms?

yup neutral has saved my ass lots , especially in older cars/trucks that have carbs . They idle higher and on packed snow will trench into the ground at a light with the brakes on slightly , my old 75 Firebird was horrible because of this .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 29, 2016, 9:36 a.m.

Drove into a snowstorm pre-Xmas that saw dozens of cars in the ditch and emergency vehicles coming and going all night. My studded Nokian Hakka 8 and 4x4 worked awesome and I didn't have a sketchy moment then entire 300km.