Pictures from the Oil Sands

Jan. 17, 2013, 4:01 p.m.

Well all this talk which will come to nothing is at least taking up time during which the oil companies tell us Canada is losing billions or at least millions

I seem to remember the NEB hearing didnt happen in kitimat because the panel were afraid to go there, no where to stay, yada yada bulshit … a definate slap in the face to the Haisla

but if you think the process is anything more than going thru the motions if you really believe there will be anything more than a recommendation to go ahead … I got some waterfront land in florida I am wanting to sell ya

Way to give up before the first pipe is even laid down, good on ya.

Your information is incorrect. Talks did happen in Kitamaat Village and you can read the transcripts of the presenters here.

http://gatewaypanel.review-examen.gc.ca/clf-nsi/prtcptngprcss/prvshrngtrnscrpt-eng.html

The opening statement from Chief Robinson from the talks in the village.

"CHIEF ROBINSON: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

At this time, I would like to welcome each and every one of you to our
village and our territory, especially the Panel. I'm very happy that you guys came to
visit us. Walk softly on our road and don't be afraid to walk around. We are very
glad and happy to have you here in our territory."

Jan. 17, 2013, 6:23 p.m.

It's enough to shake your belief in democracy.

Thread killer

Jan. 17, 2013, 6:38 p.m.

Well I haven't given up, I am just realistic about what Harper is really doing, like I say the review eats up time, the more time that gets eaten up the more likely a provincial NDP government gets elected, the more likely people get sick of Harper and give him the boot

My buddies spent 100's of hrs working on presenting the real science regarding the geomorphology of the area, the biology of the rivers, they were talking to lawyers who danced around issues and played court room games

edit: Note that these are real scientists and engineers with 30years experiance in their fields in this area, they could do this^^ cuz they are just retired SO … nobody can touch them

IMO it really doesn't matter whom is standing up in front of a panel who's outcome is a forgone conclusian BUT … we still need you to stall them

Jan. 17, 2013, 6:56 p.m.

Meanwhile in Kitimat…

Educate yourself about LNG before condemning it with oil. The energy you use every day has to come from somewhere.

http://www.mudomaha.com/naturalgas/pdfs/lng.pdf

Jan. 18, 2013, 6:30 a.m.

Well, if the formation is just a large pressurized dome, it should be pretty much a matter of drilling and placing a wellhead to control the flow rate. Of course, the biggie is whether there's a lot of H2S. Gas and oil are often mixed with hydrogen sulfide (a by product of organic decomposition), so if there's a lot of it then there needs to be all the gear to strip out the H2S and safely contain it.

For those not aware, "sweet" and "sour" in the gas and oil industry refer to H2S content. Sweet means low H2S and sour means high levels. Hence, industry references to "sweet light crude" or "sour gas". What gets nasty is when a sour gas well starts to leak and a plume of H2S escapes.

Kn.

You're getting better at this - however, your wrong on this point. Sweet means NO sour content. H2S can have an immediate detrimental effect on your health at levels as low as 10 parts per million, and many suspect (scientific research on the subject is not yet strong enough) that cumulative levels of exposure as low as 1 or 2 ppm are also detrimental. Its been a few years since I've taken the course, but if memory serves me, at about 20-30 ppm you will begin to lose consciousness and will pass out if not removed, at 40-60 ppm you will lose consciousness immediately, and somewhere around 100 ppm you die on exposure.

The good news is that if a wellhead does leak (happens) natural gas and H2S both expand very quickly and the concentration dilutes over open air, so there is time for response before a problem happens or anything dies. There are also strict regulations in AB, BC, and SK regarding the distance from populated areas that an H2S well can be drilled.

Luckily for all of us, producing sour gas is very expensive and new sour drills are relatively rare. Not only that, they're also VERY heavily regulated from the first drill bit touching soil right on down to decommissioning. There are many people who prefer to work with H2S in the industry because safety practices are far more stringent and it's generally regarded as safer than working with sweet gas - if only for the processes that are in place to mitigate the hazard.

Jan. 18, 2013, 6:32 a.m.

Educate yourself about LNG before condemning it with oil. The energy you use every day has to come from somewhere.

http://www.mudomaha.com/naturalgas/pdfs/lng.pdf

Condemning? I want you mooks to allow the pipeline/terminal. Tax the living hell out of the route and carry on with life, we need to get some fucking oil out of this province!

Jan. 18, 2013, 6:39 a.m.

So if you can smell the H2S, does that mean you've already been exposed to too much?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 18, 2013, 6:40 a.m.

Many other methods. Fracking is just used to release gas that's tied up in layers of shale.

And, of course, it only becomes "L" NG after the gas is extracted and run through compressors!

Kn.

Yes, there are many other methods. No, there are not many other methods for effectively extracting gas from the Monteny shale, the Wilrich, or the Duvernay - these are the formations that are going to be feeding the LNG terminal. They are very deep, and the fracs won't have a surface effect. If legislators blindly outlaw 'fracking' without putting in the appropriate research your LNG terminal will go away, and Petronas will have wasted its investment in Progress.

The effects of that would be cataclysmic, far worse than the 1980s crash.

Jan. 18, 2013, 6:43 a.m.

So if you can smell the H2S, does that mean you've already been exposed to too much?

Yes or No. under 15 ppm and you're going to be OK for an hour or two, but you are going to smell it. The problem is that over 50 ppm (I think, again, been a while) your olfactory senses are overcome and you can no longer smell it. If you do smell H2S immediately move upwind and uphill, call for help. Masked professionals with monitors are the best way to deal with that problem…

Jan. 18, 2013, 9:28 a.m.

Well I haven't given up, I am just realistic about what Harper is really doing, like I say the review eats up time, the more time that gets eaten up the more likely a provincial NDP government gets elected, the more likely people get sick of Harper and give him the boot

My buddies spent 100's of hrs working on presenting the real science regarding the geomorphology of the area, the biology of the rivers, they were talking to lawyers who danced around issues and played court room games

edit: Note that these are real scientists and engineers with 30years experiance in their fields in this area, they could do this^^ cuz they are just retired SO … nobody can touch them

IMO it really doesn't matter whom is standing up in front of a panel who's outcome is a forgone conclusian BUT … we still need you to stall them

I thought the same, at first.

But…

So many other experts who are not retired are speaking, who are putting on the line. We are now past the days of ignorance and the "drill baby drill" mantra. The evidence is overwhelming on what harm we are doing to our ecosystem on a global scale.

Not only that but we live in the day instant information and any one person with the correct words and right action can go viral and be heard around the globe in real time and spur instant action.

Never before in the history of our species has any single person had that kind of power.

The current government is failing to realize this in its handling of this project. And the review panel will be reminded of the fact that if they make the wrong choice the government will use them as a scape goat when the spill happens and hang them out to dry.

The world will instantly know who these 3 are and what they look like. I wonder how welcome they would be here on our BC Coast then.

I fall into the millennial generation, the very group that all the retired people speaking are talking about. The children of tomorrow.

I have kids of my own and I know how hard our past people have fought for a free country. Even if you love oil the fact that our current government is trying to dictate to us all what it wants is enough to to stop this project going forward.

I will put it all on the line.

Jan. 18, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

If you can smell the H2S, you might just be one breath away from being dead.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 18, 2013, 10:07 a.m.

Yes or No. under 15 ppm and you're going to be OK for an hour or two, but you are going to smell it. The problem is that over 50 ppm (I think, again, been a while) your olfactory senses are overcome and you can no longer smell it. If you do smell H2S immediately move upwind and uphill, call for help. Masked professionals with monitors are the best way to deal with that problem…

Someone's refreshed their H2S Alive cert recently, I see!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 18, 2013, 11:35 a.m.

Someone's refreshed their H2S Alive cert recently, I see!

Kn.

Someone has over 10 years experience in the industry, in drilling and production - corporate sales (promotion takes effect in a few months - woohoo!) doesn't require me to keep those certs current, and since they expire this may, fuck 'em!

Jan. 18, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

I thought the same, at first.

But…

So many other experts who are not retired are speaking, who are putting on the line. We are now past the days of ignorance and the "drill baby drill" mantra. The evidence is overwhelming on what harm we are doing to our ecosystem on a global scale.

Not only that but we live in the day instant information and any one person with the correct words and right action can go viral and be heard around the globe in real time and spur instant action.

Never before in the history of our species has any single person had that kind of power.

The current government is failing to realize this in its handling of this project. And the review panel will be reminded of the fact that if they make the wrong choice the government will use them as a scape goat when the spill happens and hang them out to dry.

The world will instantly know who these 3 are and what they look like. I wonder how welcome they would be here on our BC Coast then.

I fall into the millennial generation, the very group that all the retired people speaking are talking about. The children of tomorrow.

I have kids of my own and I know how hard our past people have fought for a free country. Even if you love oil the fact that our current government is trying to dictate to us all what it wants is enough to to stop this project going forward.

I will put it all on the line.

AND this is why we have idle no more as a result of the cons who figure the majority government is a mandate to gut the enviro act with C-45, do what they want and pay off their oil buddies in Alberta (AKA Mordor ) so whom but the 1st nations have a legal say in it, not whitey because essentialy … he voted for big oil

yeah I'm the old retired fuck but I have marched down mains st with my 1st nations brothers against CBM a couple of times, given money to skeena wild, given money to the NDP, I know the players at least on "the good guys" side, I know lots of people who stood up and talked, I am not saying its hopeless and the fight can't be won I'm saying this is how it will be won in any case good on ya AND … stay the course