Pictures from the Oil Sands

Oct. 24, 2012, 12:40 p.m.

There are facts and there are realities. Yes there are too many people, it is a fact. But the reality is we are advanced enough to change how we use energy and that we have actionable solutions. Killing a few billion people is not really on the table. There is no point in spending time on a problem without a solution.

And part of that solution is talking about overpopulation. Who said anything about killing people? Oh right the Syrians. All one hears from the environmentalists are the "you shoulds". You should do this or that. I agree that there is probably the scientific knowledge to develop viable alternative energy sources and I do think that should be thoroughly investigated and developed and it will be when oil starts to cost too much. The Chinese are all over solar and I'll bet they have viable equipment before anyone else. I do think that the tax that oil companies pay should be very high. They are benefiting from a non renewable resource after all and once gone it won't be renewed in our lifetime. Their tax rate should be really high. I heard that in Norway they tax oil companies 90% plus they have their own state run oil company. Seems to work there.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 24, 2012, 1:08 p.m.

All one hears from the environmentalists are the "you shoulds". You should do this or that.

That is crap.

Complete, utter, unadulterated crap for which there can be no purpose except to generalize and rationalize marginalizing the views of an entire group of people.

Most "environmentalists" (a rather broad generalization) actually "do" stuff to reduce their own personal impact on the environment. Many actually "do" a great deal more. Not enough for you? You want more? Why not work to get one or two Green party members into the provincial legislature or to parliament? Elizabeth May is quite likely the most sensible, grounded person in this entire sitting of parliament.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 24, 2012, 1:21 p.m.

And part of that solution is talking about overpopulation. Who said anything about killing people? Oh right the Syrians. All one hears from the environmentalists are the "you shoulds". You should do this or that. I agree that there is probably the scientific knowledge to develop viable alternative energy sources and I do think that should be thoroughly investigated and developed and it will be when oil starts to cost too much. The Chinese are all over solar and I'll bet they have viable equipment before anyone else. I do think that the tax that oil companies pay should be very high. They are benefiting from a non renewable resource after all and once gone it won't be renewed in our lifetime. Their tax rate should be really high. I heard that in Norway they tax oil companies 90% plus they have their own state run oil company. Seems to work there.

I agree with you for the most part, I just think that all you can do with overpopulation is talk about it and use of hydrocarbons is not a symptom of our population. We use hydrocarbons because that is where we are currently in our technology regardless of how many people there are. In fact, I could just as easily argue that our overpopulation is a symptom of using hydrocarbons.

As far as the "you should"s are concerned, this is how the policies in Norway or Germany get off the ground.

Oct. 24, 2012, 3:07 p.m.

Elizabeth May is quite likely the most sensible, grounded person in this entire sitting of parliament.

Kn.

Aside from the whole lobbying to have wifi removed from schools because it's frying children's brains….

She kind of lost my respect on that one and I consider myself a Radical Environmentalist (TM).

Oct. 24, 2012, 4:01 p.m.

You mean WiFi isn't frying their brains? Then why are kids getting dumber?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 24, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

Aside from the whole lobbying to have wifi removed from schools because it's frying children's brains….

Okay, yeah, I'll concede that one. Need to inject a little more evidence-based science into that conversation.

Kn.

Oct. 24, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

How could this operation possibly be profitable? How many barrels of oil will be refined from one truck load of tar sand? How many barrels of oil is consumed to mine and process one barrel of oil? I just can't see how they can come out ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Oct. 24, 2012, 5:33 p.m.

There's a lot of oil in a truckload. I was surprised when I saw the numbers.

What's used a lot is natural gas. What's the figure now - something like 150 million cubic feet (or meters?) a day? But there's lots of natural, and burning it is cleaner than burning coal or oil.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 24, 2012, 5:40 p.m.

She kind of lost my respect on that one and I consider myself a Radical Environmentalist (TM).

My fav Lizzy May moment

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 24, 2012, 7:29 p.m.

I thought the Terex Titan was larger at 500T but wiki says it was 350T.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terex_Titan

My dad worked on that truck so I saw it when it was in use.
I recall him saying that the original box was WAY to large so the truck kept getting overloaded so they kept shortening the box until the loader operators couldn't overfill the box.

The 797 is up to 400T.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797

Learned something today.

Don't trust what you read on the internet the mt6300 was larger than a 797. It was originally a terex until bucyrus bought them, then cat bought bucyrus, and discontinued it..

Also the T 282B competes directly with other 400 short tons (363 t) payload capacity haul trucks, including the Caterpillar 797F and Bucyrus MT6300AC.

Oct. 26, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

After reading this thread and everyone's posts on how bad the oil sands are and its future expansion.

What are we going to do about it…

Our current leaders in power are changing laws to suit it so that it makes future expansion possible with a single swipe of a pen.

What are you going to do about this act of treason?

Anonymous forums are great and all but in the end it means nothing until we actually speak outside of this arena.

WHAT WILL YOU DO?

What am I going to do? I have registered and have a date to speak in front of the Embridge review panel in the new year. I have had my own employers say that my very job might be in danger based on what I say.

I will stand against all future expansions of the oil sands.

I stand for what I believe in to the very end.

Oct. 27, 2012, 8:36 a.m.

Don't trust what you read on the internet….

:lol: I'm sorry but this is kinda funny..

Jan. 16, 2013, 9:37 p.m.

The last few days of talks are underway right now.

I have my slot at 9:00 am on the 31st to speak in front of the review pannel.

What will be said has everything to do with all of us who live here on the BC coast.

or you can ignore this and read more important threads like

"A woman, a car and a mattress"

Jan. 16, 2013, 9:43 p.m.

Good for you for going!

So are you presenting the benefits to the economy - jawbs, jawbs, jawbs?

:agree:

Kn.

Jan. 16, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

Can not give rep "gun full" for the sarcasm, but :) thanks!