Pictures from the Oil Sands

Oct. 23, 2012, 6:36 p.m.

Anyone else notice the increasing talk about re-addressing the moratorium on drilling off the BC coast?

I heard some show talking about how we could manage our oil industry like norway and there was some mention of a senate committee recommending lifting the moratorium.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 23, 2012, 6:46 p.m.

^ That won't happen. As long at is is profitable Canadian oil will be sold elsewhere and oil for local consumption will be shipped in from elsewhere.

I think we can agree on one thing though. If oil is drilled off BC, Alberta shouldn't see a penny of it. Bunch of greedy dicks.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 23, 2012, 7:09 p.m.

Agreed. I think we'll keep finding new deposits for the foreseeable future as well. The environmental concerns are definitely the issue.

Anyone else notice the increasing talk about re-addressing the moratorium on drilling off the BC coast?

Provincial govt lifted the moratorium a few years ago, the federal moratorium still stands.

There already has been drilling offshore of British Columbia in the 60's

Oct. 23, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

No wonder gas has gotten so expensive. $55 an hour to drive a dump truck?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 23, 2012, 7:39 p.m.

How much of the oil from the oilsands is refined into canadian gasoline?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 23, 2012, 9 p.m.

le sigh…. most of the oilsand's development is in situ. Only a few tiny specs on that map (that missed a whole bunch of the bitumen deposits) are at surface. Shell is developing an electrical extraction method, and SAG-D is widely used to extract at a fraction of the impact. Not only is that happening, tailings reclamations are going well, and several mine sites have now been brought back to their original state, often times with the same plants that were there when they were stripped - not the same species, but the same plants.

There is so much misinformation surrounding oilsands development that it makes my fucking head spin.

Exactly, and posts like this aren't helping. Steam assisted gravity storage uses so much groundwater - 3 barrels for every barrel of oil it makes. Much more water intensive than convention petroleum production. Your calling SAG-D 'a fraction of the impact' is greenwashing at best. As it becomes more widely deployed, the water table is taking a huge hit up there. I don't even want to touch what you call 'original state' here.

le sigh..

NSMBA member.

Oct. 23, 2012, 9:55 p.m.

This weeks Kony

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 23, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

Alot of mis information there. 797's aren't the biggest truck in the world, nor have they been for some time. Also, that bucket wheel is just a baby! And that photo of the back of a dump truck outside SMS, is a komatsu not a caterpillar.

Some excellent reporting there. Geeze

Oct. 23, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

Oil [HTML_REMOVED] gas are not renewable, I see that. Solar, wind [HTML_REMOVED] geothermal power may be the future, but perhaps the biggest problem with them is…how can the big corporations make lotsa money from them?

Thread killer

Oct. 23, 2012, 10:21 p.m.

Alot of mis information there. 797's aren't the biggest truck in the world, nor have they been for some time. Also, that bucket wheel is just a baby! And that photo of the back of a dump truck outside SMS, is a komatsu not a caterpillar.

Some excellent reporting there. Geeze

797F has the biggest payload of any truck ever….I think thats what they meant.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 23, 2012, 10:34 p.m.

I thought the Bagger 293 was the biggest BWE in existence.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 23, 2012, 11:55 p.m.

Don't forget to factor in overtime. And it's a horribly boring, but well paying job so workers will do it for a short amount of time and then quit, adding the cost of training new drivers every 6 months.

Autonomous haulage truck systems are starting to show up in new mines though, so it wont be like this forever. These trucks are claimed to be more fuel efficient, create less tire wear, last longer, and be faster than the manned trucks too.

It's a little spooky to know those things can drive better without someone inside though. I start to imagine I-robot with a bunch of massive dump trucks…

Oct. 24, 2012, 10:03 a.m.

No one ever seems to understand that extraction of resources is only a symptom. The problem is not that we use hydrocarbon fuels. The problem is too many people and the belief that an economy which is based on selling stuff must grow to be healthy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 24, 2012, 10:17 a.m.

797F has the biggest payload of any truck ever….I think thats what they meant.

I thought the Terex Titan was larger at 500T but wiki says it was 350T.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terex_Titan

My dad worked on that truck so I saw it when it was in use.
I recall him saying that the original box was WAY to large so the truck kept getting overloaded so they kept shortening the box until the loader operators couldn't overfill the box.

The 797 is up to 400T.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797

Learned something today.

Oct. 24, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

No one ever seems to understand that extraction of resources is only a symptom. The problem is not that we use hydrocarbon fuels. The problem is too many people and the belief that an economy which is based on selling stuff must grow to be healthy.

There are facts and there are realities. Yes there are too many people, it is a fact. But the reality is we are advanced enough to change how we use energy and that we have actionable solutions. Killing a few billion people is not really on the table. There is no point in spending time on a problem without a solution.