Pictures from the Oil Sands

Oct. 22, 2012, 5:55 p.m.

Pretty interesting.

Oct. 22, 2012, 6:27 p.m.

http://goo.gl/maps/SKPTq

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 22, 2012, 8:17 p.m.

Incredible pictures. Thanks for posting.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 22, 2012, 8:28 p.m.

I didn't look. I prefer to blissfully unaware of where my gas sipping dually fuel comes from.

Oct. 22, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

i like it

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:02 p.m.

http://goo.gl/maps/SKPTq

Kn.

Thats nuts. Easily visible from space.

Apparently the oilsands are 140,200 square kilometres (this is beyond what is shown to be dug up in the satelite data). For comparison vancouver island is 31,285 square km and vancouver is 114 square km.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

The article fails to show how well the tailings pond reclaimation is going though.
Once it's all done and the overburden goes back on, it's good as new, minus the bitumen underneath.
I don't think many people would complain about this pay rate mentioned in the article:
"The average dump truck driver makes about $55 an hour plus overtime working the mines and the average family income here is around $190,000"

You'd be rather naive if you didn't think that money helps keep our local bike shops in business.

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:26 p.m.

The article fails to show how well the tailings pond reclaimation is going though.
Once it's all done and the overburden goes back on, it's good as new, minus the bitumen underneath.
I don't think many people would complain about this pay rate mentioned in the article:
"The average dump truck driver makes about $55 an hour plus overtime working the mines and the average family income here is around $190,000"

You'd be rather naive if you didn't think that money helps keep our local bike shops in business.

Hard to say no to that kind of money.

Thread killer

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

I think they are miss informed about the picture they are calling "gravel pit water". I think that is the under ground sea water that Shell hit.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

what bike shop would that be?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

Thats nuts. Easily visible from space.

Apparently the oilsands are 140,200 square kilometres (this is beyond what is shown to be dug up in the satelite data). For comparison vancouver island is 31,285 square km and vancouver is 114 square km.

I'm only quote this because I find your easily visible from space comment amusing. I can check google maps of my parents house and see my old truck parked out front… from space!! not starting a fight :) i'm a little drunk and getting a good laugh.

It is amazing about the size though. I can see my work!

Oct. 22, 2012, 10:03 p.m.

I'm only quote this because I find your easily visible from space comment amusing. I can check google maps of my parents house and see my old truck parked out front… from space!! not starting a fight :) i'm a little drunk and getting a good laugh.

It is amazing about the size though. I can see my work!

I meant if you were on the ISS you would be able to see this. Zoom out to get a context of how large it is.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Oct. 22, 2012, 10:04 p.m.

le sigh…. most of the oilsand's development is in situ. Only a few tiny specs on that map (that missed a whole bunch of the bitumen deposits) are at surface. Shell is developing an electrical extraction method, and SAG-D is widely used to extract at a fraction of the impact. Not only is that happening, tailings reclamations are going well, and several mine sites have now been brought back to their original state, often times with the same plants that were there when they were stripped - not the same species, but the same plants.

There is so much misinformation surrounding oilsands development that it makes my fucking head spin.

Oct. 22, 2012, 11:27 p.m.

what bike shop would that be?

The ones that all the dump truck drivers go to. You see them come in all the time where I work. They love a bit of Di2.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 23, 2012, 12:44 a.m.

I think they are miss informed about the picture they are calling "gravel pit water". I think that is the under ground sea water that Shell hit.

Under ground sea water…that sounds interesting.