pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 26, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

Imagine for a moment you are tasked with determining the wage of 2 people. You are provided with 2 lump sums you need to give to each person based on their contribution for their past years work.

In one bucket is 100K and in the other $1 million.

Now image one person is a teacher and the other is a hockey player. Who would get the larger pay amount.

Seems to me we're in a pretty messed up society that wants to pay someone more for pushing a plastic piece of rubber around on a slab of ice that has no consequences on anything the moment the game is over than those that are tasked with educating our kids.

In most cases I believe in free market forces determining someone's income, but it seems to fail far too often.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND. It's a fairly simple fucking concept. Lots of people want to, and are able to work as a teacher. They make less than those with skills that are harder to find and / or more in demand.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 26, 2014, 4:22 p.m.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND. It's a fairly simple fucking concept. Lots of people want to, and are able to work as a teacher. They make less than those with skills that are harder to find and / or more in demand.

this may be true, but do you think it makes sense?

consider that teachers, particularly elementary school teachers, have one of the most important jobs in society today. they are essentially charged with laying the foundation of our entire society.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 4:23 p.m.

Yes, it is a very fucking simple concept that doesn't apply very well to a non-simple situation, so stop spouting it like it's the be all and end all answer.

May 26, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

What's stopping them from thinking they deserve as much as a doctor makes?

That would require a $0.03/hr pay cut.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 26, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

But they were striking and complaining a few decades ago too. It wasn't the good ol' days. But admittedly, it also wasn't as bad as some over stuffed classrooms now. Wiping the slate clean, i meant that there has been such a mentality of the gov'ts taking, taking, taking and the teachers pushing pushing pushing for more. Now it's such an exaggerated mess that kids and their parents are really losing out.

Go Finland!

of course they were. teaching in the public school system is not the same as a career in the open job market. even teachers at the top of their profession do not get to set their wages. their wages are dictated to them by gov'ts that seek to pay them as little as possible. why is a wonder that they have to fight for decent wages and working conditions? in light of what teachers do, how stupid is that?

i agree with you that it's an exaggerated mess, but in the sense that the ability of the education system to do a good job is being slowly eroded.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

That would require a $0.03/hr pay cut.

:lol:

what planet are you living on? it's not even close.
this post of yours clearly demonstrates that you have a very poor understanding of the topic.

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

maybe we should give him a break, after all … he is an engineer?

May 26, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

:lol:

what planet are you living on? it's not even close.
this post of yours clearly demonstrates that you have a very poor understanding of the topic.

That's maybe the best infographic I've ever seen.

In that it completely validates the old saying: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

May 26, 2014, 4:55 p.m.

That's maybe the best infographic I've ever seen.

In that it completely validates the old saying: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

ha! i didn't even notice that he linked to something.

who knows, it may be applicable for the US.
too bad for farmer though that this debate happens to be taking place in BC.

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 5:09 p.m.

'free market' principles should not be applied to all aspects of society, and education definitely falls on the shouldn't side.

May 26, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

That's almost utopian.

One thing I'd like to know is why the huge increase in special needs children? It's like peanut butter allergies; I don't remember anyone having them and now it's quite prevalent. Is the increase in special needs because of different detection methods, or is the percentage of children with behavioural and/or learning issues increasing?

it is increasing. Due to environmental factors, in my opinion.

May 26, 2014, 5:43 p.m.

it is increasing. Due to environmental factors, in my opinion.

i would include a lack of or poor parenting skills as one of those environmental factors imo. the discussion i had this morning with a group of primary school teachers would echo this as well.

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

the 'food' kids generally ear these days, general diet, lack of exercise, among other things has to play and big role in a lot of this stuff too, in addition to the parental side, although you could say a lot of those things are parental responsibility….

May 26, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

'free market' principles should not be applied to all aspects of society, and education definitely falls on the shouldn't side.

Why ? Are you then saying that private schools should be closed and everyone should be in the public system ?

Free market could teach education a lot. For example, what's wrong with 'vouchers'? The government grants each student a voucher for their tuition, they can use it at any school they want. It is then up to the school to perform and attract as many students as they can hold. If the school wants to charge more than the voucher, they are welcome to, student pays it. 'Alternative' schools can accept them, so long as they comply with the minisstry. If I want my kids to go to a school that specializes in music, why not ? I can use my voucher there.

Would kick the butt of underperforming schools in a big hurry. No performance = no students = closing school.

May 26, 2014, 6:01 p.m.

i would include a lack of or poor parenting skills as one of those environmental factors imo. the discussion i had this morning with a group of primary school teachers would echo this as well.

So you think the rise in neurodevelopmental disorders such as Autism, for example, is due to poor parenting?