Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

May 20, 2021, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Tesla makes a 20-25% margin on every sale. Every other mfr with an EV model is either close to break-even, or losing money on every EV sale.

Is that stat from the same source as where you found out that most truck owners like to roll coal?

Quoted for propensity

Last edited by: syncro on May 20, 2021, 5:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

At over $120K for the basic Model S I would hope Tesla makes a profit.

May 20, 2021, 10:37 p.m.

Tesla makes a 20-25% margin on every sale. Every other mfr with an EV model is either close to break-even, or losing money on every EV sale.

Elon Musk abuses his workers 20-25% moar. Oh, wait, assbergers...eh?

Topical... https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/05/20/post-petroleum-resource-race-and-what-make-it

Funny thing tungsten ... pretty ironic that you would have such a negative view of a company for which first paragraph of their mission statement is "To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Why are you opposed to this?

Not opposed, marvelous idea. Poorly implemented by a pig w/fascist tendencies happy to pollute the atmosphere w/his Flesh Gordon fantasies.

May 21, 2021, 12:26 a.m.

Posted by: switch

At over $120K for the basic Model S I would hope Tesla makes a profit.

they have more than one model now…

May 21, 2021, 2:09 a.m.

Model X is the same price.

May 21, 2021, 7:46 a.m.

The Y and 3 are around $60k.

May 21, 2021, 8:20 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Does "everybody" say why it's going to 100? Or are they just throwing out random numbers?

Speaking of throwing out random numbers.

The average truck owner thinks that coal rolling is really cool and funny.

Sorry you couldn't pick up on my sardonic wit. Yes, I was mocking the stereotype of a phallicly challenged, jacked up coal rolling truck owner, but whatevs.

The point being that Tesla has attracted a significant number of people to the CT that would never consider themselves truck buyers.

The claim about 900k refundable preorders being meaningless is exactly what was said in advance of the Model 3 and Model Y preorders. In fact, most of the preorders converted into sales, and cancellations didn't matter because more orders filled the gap. They still sell every car they build ... before it's built.

May 21, 2021, 8:27 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Funny thing tungsten ... pretty ironic that you would have such a negative view of a company for which first paragraph of their mission statement is "To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Why are you opposed to this?

Not opposed, marvelous idea. Poorly implemented by a pig w/fascist tendencies happy to pollute the atmosphere w/his Flesh Gordon fantasies.

So ... what's YOUR plan for when a planet-killing asteroid hits the earth and destroys all life?  Setting up a colony on Mars is his clearly stated answer to that.

I don't agree with everything Musk says or does, and I don't worship him as some seem to. His politics is way too Liberterian for me. But, as stated in another thread, you make yourself irrelevant when you set an impossible bar for any human to hurdle. Nobody is good enough for your narrow definition of perfect, so who really cares what your opinion is?  You can't step back to take a bigger picture view of what he's accomplishing, so I don't see the value of engaging you on the topic.

May 21, 2021, 8:58 a.m.

So ... what's YOUR plan for when a planet-killing asteroid hits the earth and destroys all life?  Setting up a colony on Mars is his clearly stated answer to that.

I don't agree with everything Musk says or does, and I don't worship him as some seem to. His politics is way too Liberterian for me. But, as stated in another thread, you make yourself irrelevant when you set an impossible bar for any human to hurdle. Nobody is good enough for your narrow definition of perfect, so who really cares what your opinion is?  You can't step back to take a bigger picture view of what he's accomplishing, so I don't see the value of engaging you on the topic.

I have never really understood the criticism over his Mars ambitions.  He makes spaceships, of course he wants to build a colony on Mars.  I don't think there is much urgency to become a multi-planet species like he does, but I don't mind watching while he tries to accomplish it.  This will all lead to space mining as well and there are good arguments that this will be good for the environment and help us obtain resources we need for clean energy.  It will also put us in a much better position to stop that future meteor that will eventually cross our path.

May 21, 2021, 11:19 a.m.

Does "everybody" say why it's going to 100? Or are they just throwing out random numbers?

don't you need a diesel with a chip ?

A guy tried that on me  last week and it was pretty lame

May 21, 2021, 4:58 p.m.

Sorry you couldn't pick up on my sardonic wit. Yes, I was mocking the stereotype of a phallicly challenged, jacked up coal rolling truck owner, but whatevs.

The point being that Tesla has attracted a significant number of people to the CT that would never consider themselves truck buyers.

The claim about 900k refundable preorders being meaningless is exactly what was said in advance of the Model 3 and Model Y preorders. In fact, most of the preorders converted into sales, and cancellations didn't matter because more orders filled the gap. They still sell every car they build ... before it's built.

It was a really funny joke.

It’s as funny as when everyone says how Tesla owners haven’t figured out that they bought a car, not a really high horse.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 21, 2021, 5 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2021, 6:42 a.m.

My biggest beef with Musk is how he treats his workers. Tesla Factories have poor safety records because he doesn't like yellow lines on the floor or machinery that beeps when it reverses. 

Not to mention that you could work for him for years of insane hours of fanatical devotion to the brand and vision but say one thing he doesn't like and you get fired instantly. 

Having said all that I'm still glad he exists.

May 26, 2021, 8:46 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

My biggest beef with Musk is how he treats his workers. Tesla Factories have poor safety records because he doesn't like yellow lines on the floor or machinery that beeps when it reverses. 

Not to mention that you could work for him for years of insane hours of fanatical devotion to the brand and vision but say one thing he doesn't like and you get fired instantly. 

Having said all that I'm still glad he exists.

Musk = Jobs, but at least Musk has a focus on businesses with an eye on the environment.

May 26, 2021, 9:21 a.m.

I’m interested in the Lightning but the range just isn’t there yet. 800km would be the ticket. That is if I ever get tired of rolling coal in my chipped diesel on 38’s with stacks through the box and truck nuts hanging from the hitch. 

Jk, I drive a stock 1/2 ton Silverado that still freaks me out a bit when it shuts down at a traffic light.

May 26, 2021, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: drezy

I’m interested in the Lightning but the range just isn’t there yet. 800km would be the ticket. That is if I ever get tired of rolling coal in my chipped diesel on 38’s with stacks through the box and truck nuts hanging from the hitch. 

Jk, I drive a stock 1/2 ton Silverado that still freaks me out a bit when it shuts down at a traffic light.

I'd still take a cybertruck over the lightning.