Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

June 26, 2019, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

And it snowed in Yellowstone on the 21st.

And your point is ....

?

?

???

June 26, 2019, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Modern eh? Fukushima didnt have use the GE design when built and in theory, the 3/11 issue would be somewhat smaller due to better design.

Want a better design? Dont put Newclear energy plants on a fault line. If you looked up that number, your outlook for the future may lessen even more.

The could have put the generators on a hill and nothing would have gone wrong at Fukushima. Modern designs typically avoid the need for backup power to shut down. The risk of nuclear reactors is nothing compared to global warming. They are forecasting 45C in the south of France by Friday. Good times.

Yeah, getting snow at 11,000 feet elevation is highly unusual.

Last edited by: switch on June 28, 2019, 9:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 27, 2019, 12:31 p.m.

They are forecasting 45C in the south of France by Friday.  Good times.

Warming Stripes for Canada from 1901-2018

https://showyourstripes.info/

June 28, 2019, 1:28 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

And your point is ....

?

?

???

Mmm cold high up and hot at sea level?

Or as usual, do I have one?

June 28, 2019, 1:40 a.m.

They are forecasting 45C in the south of France by Friday.  Good times.

Warming Stripes for Canada from 1901-2018

https://showyourstripes.info/

Ok, so there's a warming trend for that time period. Doesnt mean we're to blame and we have to be taxed out the ass and have no real roi on it. Can we quantify locally where or just what our Carbon Tax dollars have gone to? (nope but think of eco migrants).

I realize you're all about saving the planet because you have a kid but if it took us this long to get to a tipping point which happened this fast, arent we literally just sliding down hill now? In the sense of traffic lights were melting in Mexico last year. Locally people describe the sun as mean. Equatorial regions should be uninhabitable if (southern) France is at 42 deg's lattitude and it's projected to be 45C.

Let go mang. It could get fricking spectularly gnarly and everyone needs to be ready to accept it.

June 28, 2019, 11:10 p.m.

June 30, 2019, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

And how much of that is from the industrialization of 2nd World countries?

July 2, 2019, 9:22 a.m.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

Last edited by: KenN on July 2, 2019, 9:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 2, 2019, 9:24 a.m.

Ok, so there's a warming trend for that time period. Doesnt mean we're to blame and we have to be taxed out the ass and have no real roi on it. Can we quantify locally where or just what our Carbon Tax dollars have gone to? (nope but think of eco migrants).

I realize you're all about saving the planet because you have a kid but if it took us this long to get to a tipping point which happened this fast, arent we literally just sliding down hill now? In the sense of traffic lights were melting in Mexico last year. Locally people describe the sun as mean. Equatorial regions should be uninhabitable if (southern) France is at 42 deg's lattitude and it's projected to be 45C.

Let go mang. It could get fricking spectularly gnarly and everyone needs to be ready to accept it.

Why the false dichotomy?  We should be ready to accept and adapt to the reality of what is to come, but we should also do everything we can to mitigate the worst of it.

I highly recommend you read more.  Correcting all your misguided assumptions is just too exhausting, but at the end of the day if a few extra taxes are your major concern, perhaps your priorities and just shit.  Either way, you should go to the source for your information.

July 2, 2019, 9:25 a.m.

Canada is 9th in terms of total carbon contribution by country, but we are 4th (after Saudi Arabia, USA and Australia) in terms of contribution per capita.

July 3, 2019, 2:53 a.m.

Why the false dichotomy?  We should be ready to accept and adapt to the reality of what is to come, but we should also do everything we can to mitigate the worst of it.

I highly recommend you read more.  Correcting all your misguided assumptions is just too exhausting, but at the end of the day if a few extra taxes are your major concern, perhaps your priorities and just shit.  Either way, you should go to the source for your information.

Who says its actually false? I can keep things seperate and I also have reasons for my view points that just arent going to be covered or accepted by your sources or what you read. And why must you correct my misguided assumptions? What am I assuming this time?

It's funny in a way - I mentioned Mexico and melting traffic lights last summer and Guadalajara gets freak hail from a passing thunderstorm a few days ago. Taxes are far from my main concern dude.

July 3, 2019, 2:54 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

That was from fuel and no coal right?

July 3, 2019, 4:11 a.m.

Is coal not a fuel?

July 3, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

Why the false dichotomy? We should be ready to accept and adapt to the reality of what is to come, but we should also do everything we can to mitigate the worst of it.

I highly recommend you read more. Correcting all your misguided assumptions is just too exhausting, but at the end of the day if a few extra taxes are your major concern, perhaps your priorities and just shit. Either way, you should go to the source for your information.

Who says its actually false? I can keep things seperate and I also have reasons for my view points that just arent going to be covered or accepted by your sources or what you read. And why must you correct my misguided assumptions? What am I assuming this time?

It's funny in a way - I mentioned Mexico and melting traffic lights last summer and Guadalajara gets freak hail from a passing thunderstorm a few days ago. Taxes are far from my main concern dude.

- The high temperatures in France are due to the jetstream pulling hot air from the Sahara to the north in a similar way the polar vortex pulls cold air into North America. The jetstream is starting to get a little schizophrenic. The Equator may become unlivable at some point, but the effects that are most noticeable right now come from extreme weather.

- It may be too late, but scientists don't know, so surely you don't. Considering what is at stake, don't you think pouring resources into making our society carbon neutral is worth a try? You brought up taxes and cast doubt on mankind's role in climate change. These are your misguided assumptions. The science showing our role in climate change is undeniable and has been for a long time. Taxes go to all kinds of nonsense now and next to none go to fighting climate change, so just bringing them into the conversation is misguided.

So why do you doubt that all the CO2 we are pumping into the atmosphere (a known greenhouse gas) is the cause of the increasing heat that you seem to fully accept? My brother has a similar view to your own and I can never figure out why he repels the idea of taking any meaningful action. It seems more of an ideology than anything linked to logic. He lives on the equator too.

Last edited by: chupacabra on July 3, 2019, 12:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2019, 11:56 a.m.

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/2019/06/30/chernobyl-has-blown-up-twice/