The Running Thread

May 6, 2014, 5:22 p.m.

Thanks Duncan…

Not sure if traveling to Illinois is an option for the north shore classic :P
but the spirit half sounds perfect for me.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

May 6, 2014, 5:53 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2820440]So any suggestions for other Half Marathon races ?[/QUOTE]

Well done on your first half :D

I would suggest the Victoria half, I did it a few years ago and it was a super pretty course to run!

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 8, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2014, 11:12 a.m.

Vibram FiveFinger to refund $3.75 million for deceiving consumers. Company settles class-action lawsuit over claim that shoes decrease foot injuries and strengthen foot muscle

Hmmmm …

May 9, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

Vibram FiveFinger to refund $3.75 million for deceiving consumers. Company settles class-action lawsuit over claim that shoes decrease foot injuries and strengthen foot muscle

Hmmmm …

Typical. Reality is that even switching from regular over built running shoes to a racing flat. Which is slightly more padded then a 5 Fingers or a Luna Sandal. You will still have a period where your feet and legs have to adapt to it. And your feet will hurt for a bit as they strengthen and adapt. I know as I did that a decade ago.

Sounds more like some people bought them thinking it was like buying a super cushioned stability shoe and therefore a instant fix. And are upset because it didn't instantly fix anything.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 9, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

Typical. Reality is that even switching from regular over built running shoes to a racing flat. Which is slightly more padded then a 5 Fingers or a Luna Sandal. You will still have a period where your feet and legs have to adapt to it. And your feet will hurt for a bit as they strengthen and adapt. I know as I did that a decade ago.

Sounds more like some people bought them thinking it was like buying a super cushioned stability shoe and therefore a instant fix. And are upset because it didn't instantly fix anything.

Agree. Kind of ridiculous when you consider that the mainstream running shoe companies put people in the equivalent of clunky shoe armour in the first place. I'm now switching all my regular shoes to lower drop/minimal equivalents.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 9, 2014, 12:26 p.m.

Agree. Kind of ridiculous when you consider that the mainstream running shoe companies put people in the equivalent of clunky shoe armour in the first place. I'm now switching all my regular shoes to lower drop/minimal equivalents.

I'm 6', 200 lbs, have had knee surgeries (but never had a knee injury from running). Plush padded shoes have served me well so far and I'm fine with admitting I need lots of padding when I run. I find too that shoes with some side-to-side give/tilt take the lateral/side-to-side load off my knees and ankles running on uneven surfaces, like more technical NS trails. The heavier you are the more this matters, I think.

May 9, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

I'm 6', 200 lbs, have had knee surgeries (but never had a knee injury from running). Plush padded shoes have served me well so far and I'm fine with admitting I need lots of padding when I run. I find too that shoes with some side-to-side give/tilt take the lateral/side-to-side load off my knees and ankles running on uneven surfaces, like more technical NS trails. The heavier you are the more this matters, I think.

I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, I found that minimalist trail shoes gave me increased proprioception, forcing me to pick better lines and run wmore efficiently and with better form (less impact). The lighter/thinner shoes also feel quicker and help to clear obstacles better.

I'm a severe overpronator and have been advised to wear overbuilt stability shoes and arch supports, yet my minimal trail shoes feel great without arch supports. As a result I'm starting to eliminate the arch supports in some of my shoes. Now it just feels better to be closer to the ground.

Try it, you just might like it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 9, 2014, 3:47 p.m.

just getting ready to run home from work quite excited it is a long way and it has been a long week!

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

May 9, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

what really happened is people just got different running injuries

May 10, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

what really happened is people just got different running injuries

So….buy over built shoes one can get injuries. Buy minimalist running shoes and one gets a different type of injuries. Buy running flats and get different type of injuries as well.

Hmmm…… so no matter what type of shoes one buys you have the potential to get injured? The horror.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 12, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

In the height of the craze I was somewhere at a runner store where everybody was trying them on and minimalists shoes were flying out the door, sure they work for some people but I don't think they are the answer to everyones needs, I went from motion control (as opposd to saying MC shoes are shit which is popular, I am sure they taught me better form) to a neutral shoe and thats about as minimalist as I ever plan to go

May 12, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

In the height of the craze I was somewhere at a runner store where everybody was trying them on and minimalists shoes were flying out the door, sure they work for some people but I don't think they are the answer to everyones needs, I went from motion control (as opposd to saying MC shoes are shit which is popular, I am sure they taught me better form) to a neutral shoe and thats about as minimalist as I ever plan to go

When it comes to running there are many problems. Big one is of all the sports one can do running is the only one where people buy a pair of shoes and really just head out the door. Suffer through it all and keep going or quit because it hurts. If this was golf or tennis people would go ask for help to make it easier. Not in running. And before shoes technique has a greater effect then the shoes.

But then again…that takes work and is not an instant fix like buying another pair of shoes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 12, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

I think many people bought minimalist to get on a band wagon whether they had a foot problem or not and if Vibram was claiming a decrease in foot injuries they must be good right?

edit: to be honest even if somebody does a running clinic and is told "run like this" its doubtful they are really going to change unless they go thru the exercise of getting hurt and having to change

May 13, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

I think many people bought minimalist to get on a band wagon whether they had a foot problem or not and if Vibram was claiming a decrease in foot injuries they must be good right?

edit: to be honest even if somebody does a running clinic and is told "run like this" its doubtful they are really going to change unless they go thru the exercise of getting hurt and having to change

another solution would be talk to people who know a few things about running, read a few books on technique, check out some basic anatomy stuff, use common sense, pay attention to your body and stay more or less injury free without having to sue, bitch or moan that running is bad for your knees.

back on track - my run is in four weeks. Trail and forest road runs hover around the 10 - 15 km distance, time depending on whether I want to ramp up the intensity (10 km in hilly terrain in under 60 min. is somehow ok) or just run.

Yesterday I did my first long run on asphalt - today my legs hurt. Need to run more on asphalt.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer