The bike touring / bikepacking thread

May 22, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

there's the seatpost mounted rack if you only need to carry light stuff (sleeping bag, etc.)

i'd go with a bob trailer, no janky mounts and lots of versatility (fire wood! shelves! your dog! etc.)

I want to carry 2 decent sized panniers as I also need to carry a pack.

Where I'm going, a Bob trailer won't work.

These are the type of clamps I was hoping to find (but these are for mounting racks on forks that don't have mounts)

At my old job I had access to a machine shop so could have made them.

May 23, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

For frame mounts, check this website… The Touring Store. Tubus Rack fitting solutions.

May 25, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

The plain old whisper lite always works but doesn't simmer, I would pay the extra $ for one that simmers

I do want to make an alcohol stove for emerg backup out in the sea kayak where we always make beach fires, I never got skunked building a fire but very close

got skunked last week

the well used mec guide tarp disintegrated in a big wind/rain storm on Chatham sound which meant no fire/ no heat/ no coffee in the AM … definatley gona make that beer can emergency stove

May 25, 2014, 1:46 p.m.

got skunked last week

the well used mec guide tarp disintegrated in a big wind/rain storm on Chatham sound which meant no fire/ no heat/ no coffee in the AM … definatley gona make that beer can emergency stove

Sounds like a wicked adventure! Much more of a story to tell then, "We went camping and nothing bad happened. Then we went home."

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 25, 2014, 7:39 p.m.

not really the tarp ripped cuz it was old/done, we till had lots of food that didn't need cooking, lots of water, gortex dry suits, still had a good tent, we never even got wet but if on the north coast if you haven't got a tarp to make the fire under its time to go home

next time each kayak will be completely self contained … so 2 tarps

May 29, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

Anyone have a solution for adding pannier rack mounts to a HT frame that doesn't have them welded on?

In this case the frame is a Ti HT, but the seat stays are about the same diameter as a steel HT.

In the past I've used P-clips, but they slide. Something more robust would be good.

does it have brake bosses? If so, Old Man Mountain Rack.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 29, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

My story is up on the Radavist now. The full story is in the photo captions, but I'd recommend scrolling through the words on the page before clicking through the gallery.

**[Weather Be Damned

](http://theradavist.com/2014/05/weather-damned-morgan-taylor/#1)**

flickr

May 29, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

My story is up on the Radavist now. The full story is in the photo captions, but I'd recommend scrolling through the words on the page before clicking through the gallery.

**[Weather Be Damned

](http://theradavist.com/2014/05/weather-damned-morgan-taylor/#1)**

Nice work… :love:

July 9, 2014, 10:13 a.m.

its been a while since I have done one of these. I have always been a student of the fast and light. my theory is the less you carry, the faster you go, the less you need.

might be pushing it a bit on this set up, but this is the kit we are going to use for two people for one night / two days.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

July 9, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

morg , i did that trip as a day trip many years ago ( 1983 ? ) , but did it using water taxi up indian arm , rode north to squamish , then back down the highway to home on the north shore .

i had confidence in the route because i had driven the road as it existed back then while doing survey work with my dad .

July 9, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

Hey Morgan, how did the rootdown plus bob work out? Were you wishing you were on your buddy's Salsa instead? I think a Bob trailer might be in my future plans.

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Hey Morgan, how did the rootdown plus bob work out? Were you wishing you were on your buddy's Salsa instead? I think a Bob trailer might be in my future plans.

I think everything is in your future plans

July 10, 2014, 9:35 a.m.

I think everything is in your future plans

Hey, I did finally get a new bike so cut a gal some slack, Jack.

Wrong. Always.

July 10, 2014, 2:15 p.m.

its been a while since I have done one of these. I have always been a student of the fast and light. my theory is the less you carry, the faster you go, the less you need.

might be pushing it a bit on this set up, but this is the kit we are going to use for two people for one night / two days.

Got a list? I'm always interested in what people prioritize or skimp on.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 10, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Just finished packing for a trip. I had a good laugh as I looked at the all the lightweight gear and then stuffed a 6 pack of beer in.

:rocker: