The bike touring / bikepacking thread

July 11, 2014, 2:03 p.m.

Just finished packing for a trip. I had a good laugh as I looked at the all the lightweight gear and then stuffed a 6 pack of beer in.

:rocker:

It's all about priorities.

July 12, 2014, 8:05 a.m.

Looks like fun - and the mission pass will be a tough climb
http://dillyrides.com/

July 12, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

We fly up to Inuvik, NWT on August 5th to begin our ride to Ushuaia. Our equipment includes:

Riding Gear (each)
Bike Gloves x3 including Gore winter/rain gloves
Bike Shorts(Spandex) x2
3 Bike Shirts, long sleeved
Echo over tube neck scarf x2
Riding Jacket, waterproof
Shoes, Shimano MT91 touring boots
Clickstand x2
Surly LHT Disc x2
Thorn accessory bar
Bike Buddy V1 [HTML_REMOVED] V2
Tubus Evo and Tara racks
Schwalbe marathon mondial tires 26x2.0

Camping Gear
Sleeping Bag, -7 rated synthetic
Sleeping Pads, Exped Synmat 7
Tent, MSR Hubba Hubba with Gear Shed and gear loft
Integral Designs Siltarp

Cooking Gear
MSR Duo cooking set, includes pot, pan, cups and bowls
Titanium utensils
Wiltshire Staysharp knife
MSR Alpine kitchen knife
Cutting board
MSR Dragonfly stove w/750ml fuel bottle
9" Backpackers oven
Garcia Widerness Food Cache

Luggage
Ortlieb Front Roller Classic 18L x4
Ortlieb Bikepacker Plus 40L x2
Ortlieb Trunk bag (M) x2
MEC World Tour 56L x2
Sea2Summit Sil Daypack
Sea2Summit / Outdoor Research dry bags

Other
Sea2Summit towel
Sea2Summit toilet paper dry bag
Sea2Summit 10L Kitchen Sink
Sea2Summit solar shower
Bear bangers
Bear spray
Air horn
Mesh bags
Soap
Toothbrush
Shampoo
Misc. medications
Insect repellent, Muskol
Petzl Headlamp
Frisbee
Sunscreen, lip stuff
Photo ID/Passport
Timberland Radler Trail Collapsible Shoes

Photography
Sony DSC RX10 digital camera, 24-200mm, f/2.8
Contour Roam2 POV camera
Contour+2 POV camera
Contour mounts, miscellaneous
Optex tripod
VuVantage Packpole

Electronics
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Ipad 3rd generation x2
iPhone 4S x2
iPod touch 32gb
Amazon Kindle 3G x2
Powerpond 12000mAh 2V/1V battery
Limewire 14000mAh 1V battery
Yellowbrick Satellite Tracker / Communicator

Bicycle Gear
6 Spare Inner Tubes
2 patch kits
Brake and shifter cables
Avid BB7 brake pads x4
Miscellaneous tubes
4 water bottles
Bike Lock x2

So…while I may have left something out, can you see anything that I have missed?? Besides a 6-pack that is.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 13, 2014, 8:30 a.m.

You might already have it but I don't see a camping gear repair stuff. Make sure you have a stove rebuild kit and a tent repair kit that has replacement fabric swatches, seam sealer glue, cording for the poles, pole repair sleeve, duct tape etc. You will slowly destroy your camping gear.

You will also have a hard time keeping all of those electronics charged, at least in the North.

Sounds like an amazing trip. Have fun!!

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

July 13, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

You might already have it but I don't see a camping gear repair stuff. Make sure you have a stove rebuild kit and a tent repair kit that has replacement fabric swatches, seam sealer glue, cording for the poles, pole repair sleeve, duct tape etc. You will slowly destroy your camping gear.

You will also have a hard time keeping all of those electronics charged, at least in the North.

Sounds like an amazing trip. Have fun!!

I do have those items tucked away somewhere..except for pole cording, thanks very much for pointing it out.

Not worried about keeping the MacBooks charged, and I already know from past experience that I can usually make it a week before things need charging, except MP3 players which get done every day.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 13, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Cool right on. I was shocked at how much camping gear I destroyed on the longer tour I did. I think a lot of it is designed to be used a dozen weekends a year not everyday. The Hubba Hubba should serve you well though. I met a guy who had been gone for a couple of years and I don't think his Hubba Hubba was his original tent but he had a tonne of use out of it and it looked new. He was pretty anal about drying it off each morning with a sponge though.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

July 13, 2014, 9:58 a.m.

Electronics
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Ipad 3rd generation x2
iPhone 4S x2
iPod touch 32gb
Amazon Kindle 3G x2
Powerpond 12000mAh 2V/1V battery
Limewire 14000mAh 1V battery
Yellowbrick Satellite Tracker / Communicator

wow, for a bike trip around the world? i would ditch like 90% of that and trust that the urge to stay ever screened and connected fades like a bad hangover by day two on the dempster

there are these things called books, see, and internet cafes, or at least there were when i was a lad ;)

The Hubba Hubba should serve you well though.

totally, great 2 person tent

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 13, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

wow, for a bike trip around the world? i would ditch like 90% of that and trust that the urge to stay ever screened and connected fades like a bad hangover by day two on the dempster

I've already considered ditching some of it, but I feel a responsibility to blog so that friends and family know what's up. and Amanda and I don't share electronics very well, although as they break down there isn't any money to replace them.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 13, 2014, 11:21 a.m.

i dunno , that seems like a lot of e-shit to pack around ( and have to take care of , maintain , pack up , keep secure , worry about , etc ).

i've done a very little bit of ski touring and i seem to recall this advice : lay out all your stuff , then get rid of half of it .

seems like this trip might be a good opportunity for you and amanda to learn how to share electronics .

and sure , we all wanna hear about the trip as it goes along , but don't suffer needlessly packing all that around just so we can get day to day updates . . . it can wait . keep a daily diary , and pass it along when you get the chance .

btw , horribly envious of this adventure . . . good on ya for making it happen .

July 13, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

I've already considered ditching some of it, but I feel a responsibility to blog so that friends and family know what's up.

brings up the old philosophical thought experiment: "if you go on an adventure and don't blog about it, can it truly be said to have happened?"

personally i prefer to disconnect from people, other than in my relationships with them, when i go on a trip. that way the stories are fresh and exciting when you meet up with them again

i can appreciate the desire to keep folks in the loop. but i predict that within a few months you'll figure, ":censored: those nerds, let them have their own adventure"

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 13, 2014, 12:05 p.m.

brings up the old philosophical thought experiment: "if you go on an adventure and don't blog about it, can it truly be said to have happened?"

personally i prefer to disconnect from people, other than in my relationships with them, when i go on a trip. that way the stories are fresh and exciting when you meet up with them again

i can appreciate the desire to keep folks in the loop. but i predict that within a few months you'll figure, ":censored: those nerds, let them have their own adventure"

I suspect as much also, particularly because this isn't some short vacation..it's our new life, and as such, we will develop new priorities which may not have anything to do with blogging, making videos, taking photos etc..

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 13, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

Got a list? I'm always interested in what people prioritize or skimp on.

2 +10c sleeping bags

1 small siltarp.

2 3/4 length thermarests

1 medium sized pot

1 cup

2 spoons

1 whisper light stove with 500ml of fuel.

dehydrated meal for 2 with a little butter

granola

trail mix and assorted bars, candies, dried fruit and a couple apples and carrots.

coffee and tea.

2 lighters

a small amount of zip firestarter.

1 big folding saw

first aid kit.

fairly complete tool kit. though I should have brought a shock pump or set my fork up for the added weight before hand.

warm base layers, top and bottom.

clean shirt

clean underwear

wool socks and light thermal booties

warm insulated jacket. the GF brought two.

long sleeved dress shirt for bugs and sun.

ski socks.

flip flops

few other odds and ends. life a knife, GPS, compass. it all fit into two 35l packs with room to spare.

though to tell the truth, we went a little farther with all the day light then I had planned. we dropped the nonsense at the end of the day and made it to the beer stash and a dome tent for the night. there was frost but we were fine in the tent. but as a systems test if fell a little short. oops.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

July 14, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

If you find them comfortable I would definitely recommend a hammock.

Never a need for sleeping pads and often bags depending on weather. I bring a puffy and wool long johns to sleep in and it keeps me warm so long as temperature stays reasonable.

The hammock lets me get away with a 25L pack for 2 nighters. With a bag/pad there's no way.

July 19, 2014, 9 a.m.

Bicycle Gear
6 Spare Inner Tubes
2 patch kits
Brake and shifter cables
Avid BB7 brake pads x4
Miscellaneous tubes
4 water bottles
Bike Lock x2

I'd lighten up on the electronics and carry a spare Marathon Mondial folder or two, a spare rotor or two, spare spokes, and a good complement of tools including a Stein Cassette Cracker.

Also, with all those electronics, you seem like the ideal candidate for a dynamo hub and a Tout Terrain Plug or E-Werk adapter.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

July 24, 2014, 6 p.m.

My buddy's bikepacking rig in the Chilcotins. My dirty old Krampus in the background. :rocker: