Old hand back in the game

March 10, 2008, 3:40 p.m.

Hi guys,

It's been almost four years since I sold my bike, switched to road and headed out to school. After a few years out of the game I'm itching to get back into riding.

I've got some parts laying around from my old ride - enough that all I'm looking for a is a new frame and fork. I'm thinking the new Bullit cause it's cheap and I like single pivots - they're all I've ever owned. I like the look of the Totem but was also considering the 36.

Of course I know test riding is in order but I'd like a place to start so please help me out and suggest some other options I may not have thought of. My budget would be in and around $2500 for both frame and fork.

A little about me. I'm 5'7", 140 and am a smooth rider. I'm looking for something lively with around 7 inches. To start I wouldn't be doing anything more than about 8 feet to tranny. I'm 25 and am not a beginner. Just a dude who's a little out of the loop after some time off.

Hope that makes sense

graeme

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

March 10, 2008, 3:58 p.m.

For under $2500, you have alot of options. However, since you live in east sooke, I'd say to go visit Lorien @ Sooke Cycles and drool over some offerings from Transition or Banshee. Lorien should be able to spec you with a Totem or a 66.

March 10, 2008, 4:11 p.m.

Man I wish I still lived in Sooke. I'm actually across the country in Halifax finishing up school right now. I'll be back in BC for the summer.

I hadn't thought of Banshee or Transition. I'm sure there's a dealer in the area here. Any models in particular?

~Epictetus

March 10, 2008, 4:12 p.m.

for 2500$

u can buy a complete new bike.. dotn bother messin with ur old gear..

treat urself to the new Technology..

the new 2008 Specialized Pitch is a killer value.. go look/ride one..ur actualy above the cost of that bike with ur budget.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Pitch

March 10, 2008, 4:24 p.m.

for 2500$

u can buy a complete new bike.. dotn bother messin with ur old gear..

treat urself to the new Technology..

the new 2008 Specialized Pitch is a killer value.. go look/ride one..ur actualy above the cost of that bike with ur budget.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Pitch

Looks like a KILLER deal, but I think geometry and travel wise I'm looking for something a bit slacker and longer. Around 66 - 68 degree HA and 6 or 7 inches travel. My fault for not specifying.

~Epictetus

March 10, 2008, 4:31 p.m.

check out a Norco Six 3 or a Norco Shore 3. Both right on or under your budget.

March 10, 2008, 4:46 p.m.

Thanks for all the good options kperras! Value seems to have really gone up in the last few years!

My only concern with getting a complete bike is that I'll have to compromise suspension performance. The gear I have isn't half bad - in fact most of it's brand new. Who knows though - maybe what I'm used to is now considered crap suspension. The last bike I had was an RM7 with a Van R and an original 888.

I just stumbled upon the Reign X. Cheapest frame I've seen so far at $1250 USD.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1321/29438/

170mm of travel and a 67 HA is perfect. My only concern would be the BB height and I wonder how it would handle a Totem or 66. Anyone have any experience with this?

~Epictetus

March 10, 2008, 5 p.m.

The new Banshee bikes look amazing, and I really like the company-they have been great to deal with and have answered alot of questions that I have had. My Chaparral has been pretty good to me and is going into it's 3rd season (06 frame). Unfortunately, I always get bike lust and want a new bit of gear (this time it's a new frame and fork). I'd love to keep supporting Banshee because I think they are a rad company..but…money always comes into play. As much as the new Banshee's are great looking frames, the price is too steep for me right now..I'm not in the position to drop 2g on a frameset any more, and can't see myself being in that position again for a while.

The equivalent Banshee offering to the ReignX is the new Rune frameset. I'd really like to pick one of these up but the cost ($500 more than the Giant), and shorter travel (6" vs 6.7") has me shying away a bit. I think that the Reign X frameset is a great value in the new "lighter" style of frames, and has great geometry. From the research Ive done a 7" SC fork like a 66 or totem isn't a problem, it would just kick the head angle back a degree to around 66 degrees, which depending on the riding you do could be beneficial. If I were in your shoes, I would buy the mid-level Reign X. It has a nice parts spec and the difference in brakes etc over your older gear will be amazing. Technology has come a loooong way in the time you were out of the saddle, it's hard to believe.

March 10, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

I would second the transition suggests. It really depends what you'll be riding. Will you be riding bike parks with nice groomed trannies? If that's your bag a Transition Bottle rocket might be a good bet if your smooth. Or a dirt bag would be a excellent all around choice. I have one with 888s and I love it. Super burly and very nimble. I had a friend who could even do a few trials moves (small ones) on it. Plus you'd be supporting super cool guys who will take the tome to understand what you need and want. When I ordered my frame and fork they spent a few minutes just talking to me and asking me about the riding I had around me. I couldn't be more impressed with them or their products. Plus it's a single pivot like you like. Just my two cents though.

:high: If bikes were crack,I'd be Lindsy Lohan.

March 10, 2008, 6:09 p.m.

if you're on a budget, the transition dirtbag might be a good choice, i'm pretty sure that it has a lighter frame than the bottlerocket as sad as it sounds. otherwise, look at the norcos or maybe a giant glory FR, just don't go kona please.

March 10, 2008, 6:43 p.m.

i think the bullet fr r kit, is around 2800, could be less at a bike shop. runs a domain, and a dhx 3

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 10, 2008, 7:45 p.m.

the bullit is a solid choice. I had one back in '03 great climber, never had to touch the frame. I've also ridden the Devinci Frantik for the last couple of seasons, You might like the bikes geometry and angles, and the suspension in 4-bar horst linkage with the compliment of a full seat tube. It makes a nice freeride bike.

.:NSTP:.

March 11, 2008, 9:52 a.m.

Wait and check out the new Trek session 7, its a 7in bike and has a great spec I believe you can pick one up for 2500$.