NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Feb. 10, 2022, 12:56 p.m.

Hey ya’ll I’ve been on the hard tail only program for about 7 years now. Started with a 26” stylus then went to a honzo st with 27.5+ (2.8 vigilantes are the bees knees) 

Just before Christmas I got my hands on a Ti tyaughtan from Knolly. The bike makes everything less of an event. I’m 6’ on a large. It’s gonna get a new wheelset and a few other things but here is how it sits now:

But more importantly I built up this 98 kona humuhumunukunukuapua'a. I’ve always wanted one of these and found one on the island for a price I couldn’t pass up. It’s currently on a set of 2.3 minions set up super ghetto tubeless. It’s got an s&m redneck stem, 26mm reach. I bent and brazed the bars up my self and they’re a whopping 900mm wide. 

This was my favourite year for Kona graphics, helps that my first “real” mtb was a 98 fire mountain.

Hopefully going to be pulling my first klunker out of my ghetto frame jig in the next few weeks. 

Also if anyone is interested in klunking around on the shore I’m looking for like minded (read; stubborn) individuals to get out for some stupid good times.

Feb. 10, 2022, 1:13 p.m.

I like that ^^.     I have the kick brake predecessor to it hanging up in my little garage graveyard/museum. 

I've been keeping eyes and ears peeled for an A'ha stars and bars painted klunker.  They wash up on CL now and again in these parts but always in smaller sizes.

In other news, got a USD750-1000 quote to fix my Honzo Ti 'properly' (ie: replace seat tube gusset plate with a chunk of tubing) and will have to wait for 10mo. before the work will even begin...  Eh, gonna bang on Dekerf's door to see where he's at.

Feb. 10, 2022, 1:56 p.m.

Real nice Humu man!

Feb. 10, 2022, 8:43 p.m.

Posted by: straightup

Hey ya’ll I’ve been on the hard tail only program for about 7 years now. Started with a 26” stylus then went to a honzo st with 27.5+ (2.8 vigilantes are the bees knees) 

Just before Christmas I got my hands on a Ti tyaughtan from Knolly. The bike makes everything less of an event. I’m 6’ on a large. It’s gonna get a new wheelset and a few other things but here is how it sits now:

But more importantly I built up this 98 kona humuhumunukunukuapua'a. I’ve always wanted one of these and found one on the island for a price I couldn’t pass up. It’s currently on a set of 2.3 minions set up super ghetto tubeless. It’s got an s&m redneck stem, 26mm reach. I bent and brazed the bars up my self and they’re a whopping 900mm wide. 

This was my favourite year for Kona graphics, helps that my first “real” mtb was a 98 fire mountain.

Hopefully going to be pulling my first klunker out of my ghetto frame jig in the next few weeks. 

Also if anyone is interested in klunking around on the shore I’m looking for like minded (read; stubborn) individuals to get out for some stupid good times.

I'm so jealous of this bike.

I think you need a set of these on it!

Great work on that bar too.

Feb. 11, 2022, 7:31 a.m.

Just before Christmas I got my hands on a Ti tyaughtan from Knolly.

If you make it back to the island in striking distance of the Comox Valley I'd "klunk" with you if a SS rigid Surly Krampus [with disc brakes] passes the klunker sniff test. I'm not up on deep klunking philosophy so I don't know if it's too modern and too brakey for that sort of bike mission. With a 68.5 deg HTA and a rigid post it'll feel pretty old skool to me. ;-)

Enjoy the Knolly Ty. You'll have two very different ride options between it and the Kona.

Last edited by: Vikb on Feb. 11, 2022, 7:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 12, 2022, 12:31 p.m.

Valentines came early for my wife this weekend. It belongs in this thread because gravel is just 90's mtb....

Feb. 12, 2022, 2:28 p.m.

Beautiful bike and great job on the decorating. That’s an Aspero, correct?

Feb. 12, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: gdharries

Beautiful bike and great job on the decorating. That’s an Aspero, correct?

Yup. Aspero with the grx 600. I'm not really sold on grx 800 over the 600 but I do think these wheels will need to be replaced at some point. Formula hubs and Alex rims just don't seem like they are on the same league with this frame/fork.

She was over the moon. Wasn't sure how attached she had grown to her kona. Turns out not attached at all.

Feb. 18, 2022, 3:34 p.m.

Sweet kid bike. I'd assume it'll get dropped onto the driveside and wreck that XTR derailleur in the first ride or two...

Feb. 19, 2022, 10:15 a.m.

Maybe, or maybe not. These XTR rd's are on their second life, they were scrapped with mangled/snapped carbon cages that I've swapped Zee short cages onto, so at this point I consider them found money.  My daughter's done well with her's for the past year and a half, and her's gets pushed to a 40t expander cog as well.

Feb. 19, 2022, 10:39 a.m.

240mm dropper unlocked!

Did some modifications to my frame, who knew cutting titanium was so easy?

Total game changer, especially since my only geo complaint on this bike was lack of stand over.

Feb. 19, 2022, 12:39 p.m.

Easy, but kinda stressful. 

Good thing you had the papers, lighter and candy to keep things mellow. 👍🏼

Feb. 19, 2022, 6:16 p.m.

240mm dropper unlocked!

Did some modifications to my frame, who knew cutting titanium was so easy?

Total game changer, especially since my only geo complaint on this bike was lack of stand over.

Just picked up a 240 for a future build. 

I wonder if you could use a steerer cutting guide for that job?

What was the hi chew for?

Also, I always add lube under the collar of a new oneup post. They sometimes don't come very well lubricated - for what it's worth.

Feb. 19, 2022, 10:55 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

What was the hi chew for?

Combating the camel mouth brought on by the rizlas? 

I'm jealous of the 240, the 210 in my hardtail is only a few rides old, but predates the new release by a few weeks. Pretty sure the longer model would fit.

Feb. 21, 2022, 4:23 p.m.

Haven't had much to contribute new to the hardtail thread for a while. Ordered this in October and it looks like it is nearing completion. I bought it as an anniversary gift for myself (my wife and I gave up trying to guess what the other wants and we just make a deal that we are each buying ourselves a gift). I'm pretty stoked to see how my geo works out. The little diagram shows a suspension fork but it's getting a rigid fork and will be mullet.