Longest lasting X-Type BB

April 9, 2013, 11:08 a.m.

As the title says what is the consensus on the longest lasting X-type BB?

My old bike had a FSA Mega-Exo quad BB. They lasted 8-9 months before starting to creak.

The new bike has ZEE cranks with a shimano BB-51 bottom bracket and has lasted about three months and is already making lots of noises.:announce:

Does anyone on the board replace their own bearings and reuse the cups?

What say you?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 9, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

I've had a Hope ceramic for a few year now that is going pretty strong. My dad has one too and likely has about 300-400 days on it….that's a shit ton of riding for most people. Ya the price is expensive, as I think I bought them for about $120. I think a shimano bb lasts the old boy about 60 rides or so. He has started to regrease the shimano ones and can get a lot more life out of them. I think he took apart his Hope bb after 150 rides and it looked minty inside.

April 9, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

I've had no issues with the XT BBs, although Im not in ^his fathers league of riding.

King BBs have grease ports, but most likely expensive. If I had issues with my XTs I'd go to them though.

I pressed new bearings into my Stylo cranks a few years back. Did it because it was quicker to throw new bearings in rather than wait for a new BB to be ordered in

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 9, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

Kings don't suck

April 9, 2013, 12:50 p.m.

I get probably 7 - 800 hours on an XTR bb. King's last and last because I take them to the shop to be purged with new grease with the tool that I have not yet purchased. I also have a tool to pull and install bearings from the cups which I have done as well. I have the King because it was free sort of. I buy enough from the shop that they tossed one in with my frame purchase about four years ago.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 9, 2013, 12:50 p.m.

I have XT and go through them once a year. My next one will be King, 5 year warranty, double the price but if it lasts over 3 years I'm ahead of the game.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 9, 2013, 1:09 p.m.

The king ones look pretty trick with the tool but are $!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 9, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

I pressed new bearings into my Stylo cranks a few years back.

details on these, please. mine are starting to feel a bit cronché

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 9, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Had the shop do this for me,

Used a bearing puller to remove the bearings from the cups and inserted new bearings into the cups. Just make sure you get the bearings into the proper cups. (Can't remember the full details on this, DS and non-DS bearings were/are different size/thickness or something, my memory is fuzzy)
Else you'll have to take a later ferry to go ride Squamish that day!

Anyway those cranks are clunky now, I'll be surprised if my dad doesn't pick up a new mtn bike in the next year. He might go 29er since everyone he rides with is on one! Im hoping he goes Tallboy LTC or Trance hehe

Protip - The easiest way to deal with SRAM crank issues is to replace with Shimano XT:idea:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 9, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

Kings don't suck

Agreed. Yes the tool is a little spendy but it is a worthwhile investment. Entering season 4 (300+ days on the trails) on mine and still as good as the day I first installed it.

April 9, 2013, 3:05 p.m.

Oddly enough I just had to "retire" my King BB on my trail bike after 3 solid years of riding, including all winter in the snow and crud… I have had to inject grease into the bearings number of times but other than that it ran solid… I could still use it, but it has developed enough slop in the bearings that it bothers the anal retentiveness in me. I believe that you can get new bearings pressed into the King as well… It may still be under warranty for all I know… should check into this.

I also have a Hope stainless BB on my DH bike which is super solid after two seasons… the new RF X-type BBs are supposed to be much improved as well… Just installed one to replace the King so we'll see how it goes.

April 9, 2013, 5:03 p.m.

One of these

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id228.html

And a shop or buddy with one of these

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id114.html

Done-skis. Plus you have sweet orange dust seals when you're done. 8)

Check my stuff for sale!

April 9, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

old boy says he has 570 rides on his Hope ceramic BB. Says he pulls it apart once a year to inspect and regrease….says it looks minty each time. He's had it for 4 years roughly.

Ceramic bb's have less friction too…lol

April 9, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

The hope looks like a winner to me, and a bit less expensive compared to the CK.

April 9, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

The hope looks like a winner to me, and a bit less expensive compared to the CK.

Hope wins of course.

My self had the Race Face X Type and the bearings died pretty fast. Got my hands on a Hope external BB non ceramic and it lasted over a full year. And I got it used off Pinkbike. The only other difference between the Hope and the Shimano BB is that Hope does not use a plastic shim thingie to make the crank fit. Hope bearings are similar to the Enduro's in that the BB inner race contacts the spindle directly. Metal on metal contact with no plastic that will wear out faster.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/