27.5 Rims - Help me decide

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

anyone on the wtb kom i-25? curious how it compares to a flow. similar price [HTML_REMOVED] width, at 90g lighter. bonkers! the i-23 is cheap indeed (on crc); not sure if i want to go that narrow. though only 2mm…

I have now taken delivery of all the components to build up a set of i-23 KOMs on X0 hubs.They are the same width as old 26" ZTR flows. I hope to have them assembled by Christmas.

I wish I could give you some feedback now, but it will be month or so before I could give any real feedback.

From CRC they were on $113 delivered to my door for a pair so at this time the cost is VERY reasonable.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 30, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

I started assembling my wheels last night.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 30, 2014, 11:42 p.m.

The finished goods.
WTB KOM i-23 rims, X0 hubs, DT Revolution spokes, DT Brass Proloc nipples

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 7, 2015, 5:48 p.m.

Wow that is light. Are u Xc racer ?

Jan. 7, 2015, 5:54 p.m.

Nice weight! You might find some stiffness lacking with the rev spokes and KOM i23 combo. I know, blasphemy cries the weight weenie…nothing you can't get back with carbon hoops and some cash.

Jan. 8, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

i decided to go with the kom i23 from crc instead of an i25; hard to resist the sale price. freaky light; curious to see how they hold up. lighter than an enve wheel set, and ~1/5th the price. wheel stiffness is overrated anyways; compliant hoops is where it's at.

Jan. 8, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

………lighter than an enve wheel set, and ~1/5th the price. ……..

The price compared to carbon was too hard to resist for me as well.

Wow that is light. Are u Xc racer ?

Nice weight! You might find some stiffness lacking with the rev spokes and KOM i23 combo. I know, blasphemy cries the weight weenie…nothing you can't get back with carbon hoops and some cash.

Not an XC racer. Just a regular guy that wanted a lighter set of wheels. The XO hubs are crazy light compared to 95% of hubs out there. 130g front 250g rear (NOT A TYPO)

About the stiffness……I have yet to get them dirty. I can't decide on tires….put my 2.3 Maxxis exxo HRII and Minions on……or something more like the new Nobby Nic?

Anyone tried the new Nobby Nic in the wet weather we have right now?

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 8, 2015, 12:40 p.m.

Not an XC racer. Just a regular guy that wanted a lighter set of wheels. The XO hubs are crazy light compared to 95% of hubs out there. 130g front 250g rear (NOT A TYPO)

Still I have to wonder if the 42 gram difference between Freq Team rims and KOM ;s is worth the loss in strength, especially on the rear.

About the stiffness……I have yet to get them dirty. I can't decide on tires….put my 2.3 Maxxis exxo HRII and Minions on……or something more like the new Nobby Nic?

My neighbour races he got some new 2015 nobby nic and likes them so far.
Im using dhr2 TR exxo 3c rear and dhf2 TR exxo 3c front(both in 2.3) I am loving the combo , seems to rail corners very precisely and predictably. Even when the rear slips on roots it only slips sideway a bit then catches again.(on mucky circuit 8)
:beer:

Jan. 8, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

Check out Pushy's bike in Australia for Maxxis tires. I just got 2 Ardent 2.4" EXO tires for $100 to my door. Shipping is a lot, but the base price is ridiculous.

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:10 p.m.

are you satisfied with the price paid to buy the components and build up those wheels Dean? rev spokes are very spendy are they not? how does the completed wheelset compare price wise with a similar pre-built set.

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:41 p.m.

I'll be curious to hear how the SRAM hubs hold up.

Not that I care really, just curious as they have a rep. for shitty the bed on first run product

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 9, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

are you satisfied with the price paid to buy the components and build up those wheels Dean? rev spokes are very spendy are they not? how does the completed wheelset compare price wise with a similar pre-built set.

The spokes were $27 for an 18 pack on CRC (27x4=$108 )
Nipples were $14 for 36 on CRC (14x2=$28 )
Rims were $54 each on CRC (54x2=$108 )
Total $244
Hubs were taken from an existing set of wheels I had.

I shopped around for prebuilt and used wheels, but I found I would only get what I really wanted if I built up the wheels myself. I'd say the final price is really competitive because of the deal on the rims and the fact I already had the hubs.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 9, 2015, 8:23 a.m.

I'll be curious to hear how the SRAM hubs hold up.

Not that I care really, just curious as they have a rep. for shitty the bed on first run product

I've been riding the hubs on other rims since October in the wet nasty weather we've had. So far so good.

My only gripe is that the edge of the hub that is polished aluminum isn't protected. They were somewhat oxidized when I took the wheels apart. I used autosol to polish the lip of the flanges to a jewel like luster.

After polishing

Ideally Sram should clear anodize the lips or use some other method/process to prevent oxidizing. I would go for the full black hubs if I had the choice all over again.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 9, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

Dean,

2015 Magic Mary up front, Hans for the back

March 1, 2015, 11:26 p.m.

bump

dean and/or perry, how are your KOM's holding up?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave