27.5 Rims - Help me decide

Feb. 25, 2016, 11:01 p.m.

No rides on my ARC30's yet but the guy that built them up for me said he had no problems at all.

that's a relief. my wheelbuilder is a lazy hack. the guy who mounts my tires is no better

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 26, 2016, 8:37 a.m.

i23 KOMs nor nearly as tough as the frequency teams series. Indestructable at least for me…

Feb. 26, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

that's a relief. my wheelbuilder is a lazy hack. the guy who mounts my tires is no better

:lol: Don't you wish you could just fire that guy and hire someone else?

The guy that does all the work on my bike is worse by far I'll bet. Soaring ambition and utter ineptitude. Expert at cussing though.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 26, 2016, 5:22 p.m.

Fuck it. Just ordered 2 27.5 Easton Arc 30s.

Feb. 27, 2016, 5:32 a.m.

:lol: Don't you wish you could just fire that guy and hire someone else?

The guy that does all the work on my bike is worse by far I'll bet. Soaring ambition and utter ineptitude. Expert at cussing though.

There are two things I haven't tackled yet: building wheels and any real suspension work. Everything else is not that bad. F-bombs were flying though when I installed my race face dropper yesterday. Luckily, I was saved by a youtube vid.

March 19, 2016, 6:43 p.m.

i just built a set of those. they came together really easily, like the frequencies i reviewed last year. haven't ridden them yet. i've gotten more in the habit of checking and topping up tire pressure before every ride, so hoping they last. if they give me a year i'll be happy, so long as they're stiffer than the pacenti tl28s i had

Get much time on those KOMs yet? Wondering how the stiffness and durability have been thus far

March 19, 2016, 6:55 p.m.

Sorry about the shameless plug, but Nobl just introduced a new "mid" size rim: 33mm outer/27mm inner, which is the perfect size in my opinion. And we're also now selling a complete wheel option using Nobl branded hubs made by Onyx Racing. Same sprag clutch internals, just with a little bit lighter hub shell. My wheelset is about 1600g.

https://noblwheels.com/products/27-5-33mm-wheelset

March 19, 2016, 8:31 p.m.

Sorry about the shameless plug, but Nobl just introduced a new "mid" size rim: 33mm outer/27mm inner, which is the perfect size in my opinion. And we're also now selling a complete wheel option using Nobl branded hubs made by Onyx Racing. Same sprag clutch internals, just with a little bit lighter hub shell. My wheelset is about 1600g.

https://noblwheels.com/products/27-5-33mm-wheelset

Ordering some NOBLs this week. I have the data sheet and the lowest published weight with the TR33 rims and NOBL/Onyx hubs is 1694 grams for the Race build. You missing a few spokes?

March 19, 2016, 9:29 p.m.

Ordering some NOBLs this week. I have the data sheet and the lowest published weight with the TR33 rims and NOBL/Onyx hubs is 1694 grams for the Race build. You missing a few spokes?

In my head? I was judging it by whats on the site, but I could have misread. :)

March 21, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

Get much time on those KOMs yet? Wondering how the stiffness and durability have been thus far

i've had 10 rides on them so far, give or take. so far so good, not dents, burps, etc. and they seem just as stiff as the frequencies i was running on my hardtail, though those were the larger diameter variety

bottom line: if you weigh a buck fifty and ride like an old lady i can unhesitatingly recommend them :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 22, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

Haha!

But the old lady scale goes all the way from
"West Van Baroness with a dyed pink lap dog sashaying in a visible cloud of Chanel No. 5" to
"Missy Giove".

March 22, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

i've had 10 rides on them so far, give or take. so far so good, not dents, burps, etc. and they seem just as stiff as the frequencies i was running on my hardtail, though those were the larger diameter variety

bottom line: if you weigh a buck fifty and ride like an old lady i can unhesitatingly recommend them :)

I sure wish I weighed a buck fifty:(
I do ride like an old lady thou

March 22, 2016, 9:28 a.m.

i should mention: i also just built up a set of easton arc30's for my hardtail after finally wrecking my frequencies (sub 15psi unsuitable for riding dales. who knew?). i'd heard about the arcs last fall but forgotten about them while looking for rims in november - if i hadn't i would have bought those over the kom's for my adhoc. they built up easily and i like the matte finish. i was a bit worried they'd splay my dhr2's too wide and reduce grip in corners but that definitely isn't the case: 3 rides in and i definitely notice the difference in cornering traction, vs. the all but imperceptible increase going from tl28s (23mm id) to the wtb i25 frequencies (25mm id) a few years ago. feel nice and stiff too, though that's with straight guage spokes. price from dunbar is pretty good: though it's ticked up a bit since i bought mine, they're basically offering the same price the american sites are… but in canadian dollars :)