Whistler Crankworx fail. Heckler's rock cancelled?

Aug. 16, 2013, 12:36 p.m.

Family stoked, schedule changed, camera charged, car parked, whip-off world champs here we come!

WAIT!

No spectators allowed in this event despite a long history of spectating and the fact that it was promoted the same as any other event with no mention of disallowing spectators this year. Turning away people at mid station is pretty lame, I suppose the DH course will be off limits as well on Sunday?

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2013, 1 p.m.

Nothing on the website about that at all. Be a pretty lame even with no one to watch

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:07 p.m.

sure about that?

A technical test-piece – a one run takedown of Whistler's rooty single-track, steep rock drops and air features.

Straight down, no mercy: the Canadian Open DH course demands blazing guns and laser focus, especially as riders encounter the stoke-soaked atmosphere of Heckler's Rock. The loud rowdy half-naked fans stage their Occupation, making this premiere downhill race truly a course of character and renown.

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

Likely just not letting sight seeing tickets get off at mid station.

On a bike they would never be able to stop people from riding into hecklers rock.

They have a policy of no hiking in the bike park.

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

April fools?

diggin

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:19 p.m.

yeah I guess I've only ever ridden in, or walked up from the bottom….wouldn't think it would be too hard to make accommodations for walking down for this event via b-line…

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

So theres no rule in terms of walking up from the village right?

What's a good spot to watch aside from heckler rock… looking for something a little less rowdy but still a fun part of the course. Road gap near the bottom maybe?

Aug. 16, 2013, 1:56 p.m.

Where Canadian Opens merges with Lower Joyride, there is a drop to a tech rooty section, would recommend checking that spot out. Tech and a lot of cool different lines.

Aug. 16, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

They have a policy of no hiking in the bike park.

They don't stop you from hiking up to watch during Crankworx. They even rope off the side of the road to walk up next to the slopestyle course all the way up to Canadian Open course.

Aug. 16, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

Previous years, only about 1/3rd at most of the people at heckler's rock had bikes, the rest hiked down from the top (or up for the bottom). I was told at guest relations in no uncertain terms, that there was no walking allowed from mid-station, and that we wouldn't be allowed to hike up from the bottom (though with a kid, that wasn't an option).

If this policy extends to Sunday's event, there will be a LOT less spectators along course.

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2013, 4:41 p.m.

Saw lots of hikers for today's whip off despite the rain.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 16, 2013, 5:20 p.m.

Liftie at mid-station said we could get off to wallk over to the whip-offs and was "pretty sure" that on Sunday we could get off mid-station for the canadian open.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 16, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

Family stoked, schedule changed, camera charged, car parked, whip-off world champs here we come!

WAIT!

No spectators allowed in this event despite a long history of spectating and the fact that it was promoted the same as any other event with no mention of disallowing spectators this year.

Ummmm … I was there today watching the whip-off along with a few hundred others. Danny Hart, Barrencloth, Sodestrom and many others walking by within high-five distance.

Aug. 16, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

Liftie at mid-station said we could get off to wallk over to the whip-offs and was "pretty sure" that on Sunday we could get off mid-station for the canadian open.

That's good news, I hope he's right.

I got turned away at the bottom of the lift and went to guest relations to complain and see what was up. I ended up talking to a few people up the chain and heard other stories of people being turned away at mid-station. The guest relations people ended up talking to the head of lifts or whatever the title was and they confirmed that nobody was allowed to get off without a bike.

And Duncan, I think if you read the post you could easily assess that I didn't mean ANY spectators, I'm referring to people there only to spectate, not ride a bike.

I have plans to head up and watch Sunday with a few others, I just hope Crankworx and the mountain get their shit together in time for Sunday so we don't buy passes just to be turned away again and have to explain to some stoked kids why they can't watch the race in person and have to stay at the bottom and watch the same feed they could get online.

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

Ummmm … I was there today watching the whip-off along with a few hundred others. Danny Hart, Barrencloth, Sodestrom and many others walking by within high-five distance.

Yeah that was good times. I sat beside Zink and had recently switched out of my Zink shirt. :(

Probably 80%+ of the spectators had hiked up. I saw them all making the pilgrimage as I gondola'd up, I was riding though.